U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2018, 09:14 PM

4,508 posts, read 1,898,701 times

Advertisements

He sure had a good time tonight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 08:12 AM

368 posts, read 208,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
He sure had a good time tonight!
Yes he did, lols.

I didnít like the episode last night. I thought the main premise of the show is how his mind works in medical situations along with the interactions he has with the staff...I didnít care for the storyline that was presented last night.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:12 AM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 4 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,677,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
Yes he did, lols.

I didnít like the episode last night. I thought the main premise of the show is how his mind works in medical situations along with the interactions he has with the staff...I didnít care for the storyline that was presented last night.
I did like it. He is different, but he's a lot more than a doctor. He's hidden himself behind his wall, and his life has become his medical skills. But he can't just be a doctor. And the joy he found in just living, just doing, pushing past his fears. It won't take away from his medical skills, but will make him more than just a problem solver of sometimes esoteric medical mysteries. He will have a connection with other people too.

Back when I could get to science fiction cons, I used to go to this local one every year. Most of the filk (science fiction based folk music) group got together times too, and we had an open to anyone gathering Saturday night.

This young man came with a friend, but she had introduced him to our group as a welcoming and fun gathering. He was autistic. But he felt safe with us, and opened up what was inside. His family was more than happy that he had friends to play with. And at a convention, he had friends to be near and he let himself out of hiding. There was this great person hiding inside and he was our friend and one of us.

The episode opened new doors for this young man, and gave him a connection with the world around him. He broke through his wall of fears, and became a bigger part of his world. The method was unconventional, but in the end he made the choice to embrase it and grow into a life.

It doesn't take away from his medical skills, but it adds the possibility of belonging to a much wider world as well, one that most importantly, he chose to accept. And he has a chance to heal inside.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:23 AM

27,447 posts, read 44,947,050 times
I was disappointed with his "friend"
I felt like that was kind of a "bait and switch" operation
She came across as more self-centered than I originally thought
She obviously knows Shaun has different reactions to a normal person and that he can be very emotional at times about change
Yet she tells him that she---his only friend--is going back to Hershey PA--out of Shaun's life after having a very special 24 hrs with him that made Shaun trust her MORE and then find out she is moving
Shaun just does not get rejection

Plus the idea that Andrews has a doctor on staff who is sexually taking advantage of women under him--residents and maybe nurses--and does nothing about THAT even though he KNOWS why the altercation happened and he can't "condone" physical violence--
But sexual harassment is OK apparently...

This show has a real issue with trying to keep their story lines straight
Losing two characters---one more important than the other but both who have created a connection with the audience and Shaun--in mid year when the show seems to have good ratings just seems a bad decision
Even if they stay I think this has been a bad decision

Old 01-09-2018, 03:42 PM

1,295 posts, read 470,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
Yeah compared to the previous shows its almost like this episode had a different writer.

'spoilers'

I disagree about having 'fun' in this episode. He almost got in a car crash because of his so called lesson on driving,( very foolish plus he doesn't have his license ) doing shots, vomiting/ getting sick, literally almost losing his chance at the residency program. It was reckless and his neighbor isn't acting like a friend who has his best interest in mind.

Another thing that was really annoying, was her commanding him and telling him exactly what to say at the end of the day. Let him be himself.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:56 PM

8,833 posts, read 8,167,425 times
I feel as if the show is being messed with by network suits, perhaps in response to some focus group. Usually this is done when a show is failing, though, not when it is one of the most-watched programs in a given year. But this shakeup doesn't otherwise make much sense to me. The girlfriend and the Indian doctor must have tested low, or some such happy horse****.

OTOH, this is the team that brought us House: MD. They ****ed with that show like few shows have ever been ****ed with, replacing Omar Epps, Jennifer Morrison, and Jesse Spencer with Olivia Wilde, Kal Penn, and Peter Jacobson. Maybe The Good Doctor is being Housed.

Old 01-09-2018, 04:13 PM

27,447 posts, read 44,947,050 times
Housed vs hosed?

I agree the neighbor seems pretty selfish--
She decided everything basically which I think seeing what she told Shaun at the end that it was more about her own conflicts than her desire to really help Shaun--
He was a vehicle to drive her own turmoil--a blank slate sort of since she could "make him over" into someone with the same likes/dislikes that she had---maybe a newer/better self???

The idea that you would get into a car you love with a guy who admits he is easily distracted and has no prior driving experience just shows you are off the chain IMO
That was a very dangerous move because in the real world, you never know when something is going to happen on the road...

This show is always doing parallels between Shaun's storyline and another w/other doctors/patients---
The conjoined twins---two sides of the same coin--
Just like the neighbor was trying to meld Shaun more into her likeness
The same fear of new experiences which in both cases were valid....

But I did think Glassman came across as a little nutty himself when he barged into the apartment looking for Shaun---made him seem very irrational...
Yes--Shaun was there but he certainly didn't do anything to endear himself to the neighbor or Shaun....going about this all wrong IMO trying to get Shaun to self-assess what he needs...

I was waiting for this return but am very disappointed in what was served up...
Even the way they resolved the "no kids" issue was one-sided
Why does she think she would not be a good mom???
That sounds like a psych issue being pushed to the background....

Old 01-09-2018, 05:53 PM

383 posts, read 265,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I was disappointed with his "friend"
I felt like that was kind of a "bait and switch" operation
She came across as more self-centered than I originally thought
She obviously knows Shaun has different reactions to a normal person and that he can be very emotional at times about change
Yet she tells him that she---his only friend--is going back to Hershey PA--out of Shaun's life after having a very special 24 hrs with him that made Shaun trust her MORE and then find out she is moving
Shaun just does not get rejection

Plus the idea that Andrews has a doctor on staff who is sexually taking advantage of women under him--residents and maybe nurses--and does nothing about THAT even though he KNOWS why the altercation happened and he can't "condone" physical violence--
But sexual harassment is OK apparently...

This show has a real issue with trying to keep their story lines straight
Losing two characters---one more important than the other but both who have created a connection with the audience and Shaun--in mid year when the show seems to have good ratings just seems a bad decision
Even if they stay I think this has been a bad decision
I was also disappointed with this episode. I don't think his "friend" was really looking out for him, and then to drop the, "I moving back home" on him at the end was horrible. I get people can be like that, but I feel like they were trying to make us like how she treated Shaun "normal," but really she was just using him.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:23 PM

2,549 posts, read 4,282,958 times
I just got a chance to watch this week's episode.
I enjoyed this episode. It was nice to see Shawn expand outside of the medical scene. It makes me like his character more. He has been kept from so much because of being on the autism spectrum. His friend looked beyond that and treated him as if he is a human being. Sometimes that is all someone wants...to be treated as if they are a normal human being. It is one of those things that you never know unless you try. It also shows the reality of what things are. People coming into their lives, going out of your lives etc.

The future shows will be interesting from the previews.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:28 PM

7,108 posts, read 2,889,270 times
I watched several of these episodes. Not really enjoying it. He just looks to dazed and confused on the show. Like him in Bates motel. Don’t even like medical shows much either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or