U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2018, 07:01 AM

21,431 posts, read 18,139,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgal View Post
Working as an RN I would say there are 1 out of 100 docs I have worked with over 20 years that has had a bad attitude and it goes across the board with patients and nurses. One thing I learned though is some of the best doctors have the least personality. (IMO) Reminds me of a few of us nurses talking about how much patients loved this one doc because he was so chill with them....he had one of the highest complication rates EVER but his patients loved him even if they had one of the complications.. Dr Dull who never chatted much with the nurses and was all business with his patients and ran us nurses around to insure HIS patients got good care IMO was the one who did the job and was thorough. Life wasn't a popularity contest and sometimes he was offensive in the fact he never sugar coated anything with patients OR nurses somewhat like Shawn but not that extreme. I will take the serious blunt dr over the life of the party one if I need a doc.
I would too, any day of the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 09:24 AM

25,454 posts, read 23,266,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgal View Post
Working as an RN I would say there are 1 out of 100 docs I have worked with over 20 years that has had a bad attitude and it goes across the board with patients and nurses. One thing I learned though is some of the best doctors have the least personality. (IMO) Reminds me of a few of us nurses talking about how much patients loved this one doc because he was so chill with them....he had one of the highest complication rates EVER but his patients loved him even if they had one of the complications.. Dr Dull who never chatted much with the nurses and was all business with his patients and ran us nurses around to insure HIS patients got good care IMO was the one who did the job and was thorough. Life wasn't a popularity contest and sometimes he was offensive in the fact he never sugar coated anything with patients OR nurses somewhat like Shawn but not that extreme. I will take the serious blunt dr over the life of the party one if I need a doc.
I've had nothing but good experiences from nurses in any hospital I've been in, except the ones in Philly when I had my knee replacements, they were horrible and mean. Otherwise, I commend nurses all over America for the dedication they show and for the kindness they extend to patients.

I've had doctors in the past, and mind you I'm from the 60's who were extremely aloof...that I've actually had to ask to tell me in laymen's terms what they were talking about, and asked them to please tell me like it is.

I've also had some amazing doctors who were kind and considerate...
I even had one local doctor tell me they wouldn't see me, b/c I got my knees replaced in Philly, so I should go back down to them....sheeesh....

So, there are all kinds of people in all kinds of trades, and thank God for the ones who are kind souls.

I don't mind blunt what I do mind is someone who thinks he is better than me, b/c of his education.

Boy could I tell you stories. LOL

Old 01-27-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
LOL...

My nephew, who has autism doesn’t speak much, but does have meltdowns/tantrums, and screams a lot. (We love him anyway ) His brothers, who are triplets, don’t have autism thankfully. Can you imagine a household with four autistic kids!

I’m still enjoying the show btw, and like the scenes with Shaun and Melendez the most.
The show has made me realize a lot about autistic children and adults....I mean about myself....and how I viewed them, oh, maybe before my cousin's grand son was born. I didn't like who I was...but this show reminded me so much about myself, but more so, the special loving kindness they project, and that they absolutely can function.

Many years ago, after I lost a child, I worked with special children, and since it was so long ago, I had forgotten about them....but they were in fact special. It is we who stagnate them....it is we who look at them differently, when in fact there is a place for them in society and I'm so glad for this show/

Old 01-27-2018, 11:00 AM

3,234 posts, read 1,711,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yanno what jencam, I'm going to add something to this

This show also reminds me of the aloof doctor who thinks he's God, and the way doctors should be....up front, honest, and to come down off they're high horse....

Not all doctors are like that, but a lot of them have surly got to come back to earth.

Are you talking about House? This is made by the same person that did House.

I love this show but just like many shows I love, there is a negative side to it. I get envious (I get envious of people in real life occasionally too so it's not like I watch too much TV) Even though I don't wish to be a doctor I wish I could be as talented as Shaun. I'm not that savant just enough to be misunderstood and possibly have potential but improbable to put into practice.
I wish I could enjoy my favorite characters or be okay with people without wishing I was them or had what they had.

I was not envious of House though but I did wish he was my doctor.

Sorry if this was off topic just want to be able to enjoy things without always having a side of me sad and be able to use them as inspiration instead.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:54 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,386,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosanne View Post
And is it funny that all of I can think of when I see Freddie Highmore is Norman Bates LOL.
I see Charlie from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory!

Old 01-28-2018, 01:07 PM

383 posts, read 265,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitsong View Post
I see Charlie from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory!
I had never made the connection that he was Charlie Bucket! Too funny!

Old 01-29-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post

I love this show but just like many shows I love, there is a negative side to it. I get envious (I get envious of people in real life occasionally too so it's not like I watch too much TV) Even though I don't wish to be a doctor I wish I could be as talented as Shaun. I'm not that savant just enough to be misunderstood and possibly have potential but improbable to put into practice.
I wish I could enjoy my favorite characters or be okay with people without wishing I was them or had what they had.

I was not envious of House though but I did wish he was my doctor.

Sorry if this was off topic just want to be able to enjoy things without always having a side of me sad and be able to use them as inspiration instead.
no, I was referring to doctor's I've encountered...some good, some who thought they were Gods.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:50 AM

21,431 posts, read 18,139,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I thought she was talking about House too.

Old 01-30-2018, 04:14 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 4 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,677,475 times
I am not a fan of doctors, but unfortunately have had to spend way too much time with them. It grew old when all doctors were so perfect, and trusted and almost grandfatherly sometimes. I saw one every month, and mostly he asked and I said nothing much had changed. But I realize now I didn't really want to say more. I knew he knew nada about other options. And sometimes, he'd just say I was eating wrong or needed to watch my diet. None of it did a thing. He was sure if I changed my diet and so on it would fix itself. He hadn't actually diagnosed me with a name for what was wrong.

Then I had major problem, and went to the ER. They immediately admitted me, then ran a bunch of tests. The doctor in the ER wanted a history of my 'care' since I'd been seeing him so he could file a complaint for misconduct. But it was an auto immune condition which had been allowed to become very serious when it didn't need to.

My new doctor wasn't as nice. He was more business. But if I complained about some pill I was taking he'd be honest. He understood that was what I really needed, not a pep talk. And eventually there were options, and surgery and if a question hadn't been explained, then I ask and it was. Was it all great answers? No, but if I had gotten answers and known what to ask a long time before, it would have still come to the same place, but a few years at least before. And nobody told me that they had a talk with my parents before the surgery because by then it was very high risk. I would still have said do it. I wanted my life back.

I'd rather have a doctor who concentrates on medicine, and is honest, and will tell you the options and let you decide, but with knowledge of the results. I think somehow the public needs to be 'educated' about doctors from other than tv shows, and be equipped with knowing what you the patient are in need of in order to make choices and plans and consider our options.

We should respect the knowledge and experience our doctor has, but should also expect that we are entitled to details as its us who will be effected by a bad decision or a choice between two options, and its we who should get to decide.

And its up to the doctor to HONESTLY explain the cost/benefit of these choices so their patient can realistically choose.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:56 AM

21,260 posts, read 20,859,174 times
I just barely started watching this (I've seen two episodes) but I'm enjoying it a lot! I think Freddie Highmore is doing a superb job. He's very convincing, and consequently pretty annoying! When I'm looking for a doctor, I want someone who is highly skilled, but who also has a good bedside manner. For me, to be treated by Dr. Shaun Murphy would be pure hell, but people like Shaun do have an important role to fill, and I think this show highlights that. I've also found the other characters and the story-lines to be really well-done. I'm going to keep watching!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or