U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2019, 11:26 PM

7,904 posts, read 13,171,487 times

Advertisements

I would prefer Shawn's blunt honesty...

Dr Han wasn't honest with the brain tumor/worm patient about why they were doing the biopsy.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 01:08 AM

7,904 posts, read 13,171,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Don't give up yet.I think Shaun will win him over with his skills & smarts.I bet Shaun saves a patient that
Dr Han almost kills..
Quote:
Or even better, what if Shaun saves Dr Han's life !!! That would be a great episode..
After last night's episode I changed my mind about Dr Han's life being saved...
If given the chance, just let him die Shaun

Old 02-27-2019, 07:52 AM

29,303 posts, read 46,268,330 times
Quote:

Dr Han wasn't honest with the brain tumor/worm patient about why they were doing the biopsy.
Was there any backstory about how Han was actually hired?
I just saw him already there—w/o any of the process...
Surely the Board would have been involved in this decision
I know the hospital is under investigation by the medical board (haven’t heard anything about that) and Han was hired because of one facet of the investigation

Han can be fair—he gave Murphy credit for the worm diagnosis—but he is also stupid/smug
He didn’t ask Murphy WHY he was forced to look at into the patient’s bag
(Because Han forced Murphy NOT to interview patients)
And WHO would ever believe that in a hospital and with a patient asleep that her bag would be in plain sight, available to be stolen by anyone walking by and seeing it...
That is the HEIGHT of “viewers-are-too-dumb-to-care” about reality aspects...

And how many insurance plans are going to pay for one man having 4 surgeries like that—
This show is really starting to make me angry...with its insistence on deliberate choices to advance plot that are not based in reality...

The diagnosis of sushi-worm—that IS believable—
The purse—that is totally fraudulent piece of writing
Once they start parsing reality they have diffused the construct a good show requires to be taken seriously

Old 02-27-2019, 08:27 AM

9,115 posts, read 8,452,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Was there any backstory about how Han was actually hired?
I just saw him already there—w/o any of the process...
Surely the Board would have been involved in this decision
I know the hospital is under investigation by the medical board (haven’t heard anything about that) and Han was hired because of one facet of the investigation
We knew Dr. Andrews (Hill Harper) was going to have to relinquish one of his positions. He could not continue as head of hospital and head of surgery. But we did not witness the hiring of Han, nor, AFAICR, any conversation about it. He was just thrust upon us, the way House did with David Morse's and Chi McBride's characters. This is a well-worn TV trope. I knew it wouldn't disappear in just two episodes, but I hope it won't last much longer. I gave up on House for doing this.

If this were a more suspense-y type of show, I'd express my concern for Shawn's fondling his scalpel in the last scene. I hope he doesn't literally cut Han out of his life.

Quote:
Han can be fair—he gave Murphy credit for the worm diagnosis—but he is also stupid/smug
He didn’t ask Murphy WHY he was forced to look at into the patient’s bag
(Because Han forced Murphy NOT to interview patients)
And WHO would ever believe that in a hospital and with a patient asleep that her bag would be in plain sight, available to be stolen by anyone walking by and seeing it...
That is the HEIGHT of “viewers-are-too-dumb-to-care” about reality aspects...
I thought of that, and decided the purse was left on the table because the sister was in the room 99% of the time.

Quote:
And how many insurance plans are going to pay for one man having 4 surgeries like that—
This show is really starting to make me angry...with its insistence on deliberate choices to advance plot that are not based in reality...
I don't know. If they get it wrong, don't they keep going 'til they get it right?

Old 02-27-2019, 08:46 AM

2,432 posts, read 1,149,563 times
I was thinking about the insurance aspect as well.

Patient: "I want A but I don't want B, even if it makes A more risky."

Insurance: "If you're getting A, you're getting B."

Old 02-27-2019, 09:12 AM

2,591 posts, read 4,393,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
We knew Dr. Andrews (Hill Harper) was going to have to relinquish one of his positions. He could not continue as head of hospital and head of surgery. But we did not witness the hiring of Han, nor, AFAICR, any conversation about it. He was just thrust upon us, the way House did with David Morse's and Chi McBride's characters. This is a well-worn TV trope. I knew it wouldn't disappear in just two episodes, but I hope it won't last much longer. I gave up on House for doing this.

If this were a more suspense-y type of show, I'd express my concern for Shawn's fondling his scalpel in the last scene. I hope he doesn't literally cut Han out of his life.
From watching the previews for next week, Dr. Melendez flat out requests Shaun to surgery. I really don't like Dr Han for not giving Shaun a fair shake before pushing him to pathology.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:15 AM

12,887 posts, read 6,142,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
From watching the previews for next week, Dr. Melendez flat out requests Shaun to surgery. I really don't like Dr Han for not giving Shaun a fair shake before pushing him to pathology.
Eh, there has to be obstacles for Sean. Big part of the show, him learning things, like how to stick up for himself.

Old 02-27-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
What Shaun should have included when he confronted Han was that if HE had been part of the attending that young woman there would not have been a wrong diagnosis in the first place
The team on site gave that woman and her sister the same type of shock that Shaun gave the parents of the baby with birth anomolies in last episode when he told her the truth—that she could likely have been responsible for her daughter’s problems...

The irony is that they gave the WRONG diagnosis—and pretty quickly made since they didn’t consider any other diagnosis and went with the radiologists’—a notoriously iffy field where many “readings” are wrong
So Shaun gave pain with the truth
The others gave pain with a false diagnosis PLUS they would not have treated the real condition and it would have caused more damage—maybe irreparable harm after delay...

So Han won’t admit when he is wrong
Melendez has gotten better about that
Lam was never that bad—she should be head of surgery IMO
She may not be a better surgeon than Melendez but she is better teacher and decision maker

Old 02-27-2019, 02:14 PM

I will grant that Han is correct about the issues Shaun has to face as he moves through the resident system
He will have to train/observe new residents
That will be a trial for him because he is not patient—he will want to step in and make the diagnosis and direct the treatment
And he will have issues with communication probably for rest of his life
Part of his ASD can never be educated/trained/practiced away...
But he has a genius for diagnosis—
Pathology is not the place for him—that is too static
He needs to be with people and inside the OR—
The baby’s two life saving insights Shaun came up with happened IN the OR...
That baby would have died w/o Shaun...

Shaun is not a pathologist but a diagnostician—-
I haven’t seen him do much actual surgery in few episodes and not just because of Han
He thinks he wants to be a sugeon because of his brother and Glassman
But a surgeon couldn’t have saved his brother
A great diagnostician can save people a surgeon would never even see...because their problem doesn’t involve surgical response

Old 02-27-2019, 11:46 PM

12,887 posts, read 6,142,191 times
Quote:
I will grant that Han is correct about the issues Shaun has to face as he moves through the resident system
He will have to train/observe new residents
That will be a trial for him because he is not patient—he will want to step in and make the diagnosis and direct the treatment
And he will have issues with communication probably for rest of his life
Part of his ASD can never be educated/trained/practiced away...
But he has a genius for diagnosis—
Pathology is not the place for him—that is too static
He needs to be with people and inside the OR—
The baby’s two life saving insights Shaun came up with happened IN the OR...
That baby would have died w/o Shaun...

Shaun is not a pathologist but a diagnostician—-
I haven’t seen him do much actual surgery in few episodes and not just because of Han
He thinks he wants to be a sugeon because of his brother and Glassman
But a surgeon couldn’t have saved his brother
A great diagnostician can save people a surgeon would never even see...because their problem doesn’t involve surgical response
Good point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or