U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2017, 11:35 PM

11,612 posts, read 5,457,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior7 View Post
Yes he does make you feel bad for him , especially the way he doesnt make direct eye contact with anyone , seems to talk into a blank space , like most autistic people do . Odd how he sleeps on the floor in his apartment , I wonder if we'll see other family members he must have , I think that white nurse that was put in charge of him for a day we'll see more of her with him , they seemed to make a good match after a while .
He doesn't have any money! One paycheck at a time, his apartment is growing in stuff. He's upgraded to a mattress on the floor and some other items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 11:37 PM

There is an autistic Dr. on Chicago Med and there was one on Grey's. They didn't have 'Savant' syndrome though, so this is more interesting to me.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
It's me, not the show.

My heart is too sensitive to see his little face anymore and his sweet little brother...
the injustice...had enough in
in the first 15 min.

I know, I know last night he probably showed everyone he was right and lives were saved.
He is slowly wowing the staff..but in the mean time it breaks my heart...
But hey, I've never seen Titanic or The Horse Whisperer, either.

Good show, tho.
I screamed over the bunny. I literally re-wound saying 'that better be a stuffed bunny'. Then I thought well that better have been for a damn good reason. Shows and movies know we don't want to see animals hurt. It did turn out to be for a good reason, so I forgive. But I wanted to throw the father against the wall........

Old 10-06-2017, 08:17 AM

142 posts, read 84,336 times
Is a show based on the premise that he can do no wrong really going to last? All other characters are mean and one dimensional? Donít see this being entertaining more than a half a season.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:08 AM

3,470 posts, read 658,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peta2013 View Post
Is a show based on the premise that he can do no wrong really going to last? All other characters are mean and one dimensional? Don’t see this being entertaining more than a half a season.
That will be the challenge for the writers, to keep the stories fresh and interesting. I don't believe that Dr. Murphy will be perfect in every episode, I also believe the "mean characters" will evolve into a more understanding and respectful medical staff when they finally realize that he's more knowledgeable than they are when it comes to saving lives.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peta2013 View Post
Is a show based on the premise that he can do no wrong really going to last? All other characters are mean and one dimensional? Donít see this being entertaining more than a half a season.
He does do 'wrong'. He wants to run every conceivable test for anything that has the most remote possibility of being useful. He is being taught the difference.

There was nothing perfect about removing that kidney - he just did the rational, emotionless analysis that it was the best chance for long term survival, while admitting it could instead kill the woman in the immediate.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:46 AM

27,448 posts, read 44,947,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
He does do 'wrong'. He wants to run every conceivable test for anything that has the most remote possibility of being useful. He is being taught the difference.

There was nothing perfect about removing that kidney - he just did the rational, emotionless analysis that it was the best chance for long term survival, while admitting it could instead kill the woman in the immediate.
They act like this guy sprang from the head of Zeus-like Athena--total and complete
But he went though med school somewhere
Students in med school do rotations through various departments or areas of medicine before they graduate into Resident status
He HAD to have been exposed to patients in hospital situations and had to have dealt with the spectrum of what might be a necessary test or likely cause of illness...
So the idea that he has never been confronted with having to limit his expectations or horizon is just too fantastical for credibility because it totally disregards how someone actually becomes a resident--

IF he had NOT learned to do a better job and be more specific with his exams and tests, he would never have been a viable candidate to graduate...
Everyone who goes into med school does not come out with a degree--plenty of washouts...
What medical school is in his pedigree???

And regarding removing the kidney--
Was the fact she had such a large and dangerous form of cancer the reason that kidney could not be used as donor kidney for someone in dialysis???

Plus--has anyone ignored the very unrealistic way people are presented AFTER having serious surgery--
That woman was lying in her hospital bed--not in ICU--
She was not incubated--didn't seem to have any pain medication heavily sedating her after MAJOR surgery...
Same with the little girl---
I have seen people after abdominal surgery--
It is not that neat and easy...
For me---this show is about on the level of a 4th grader's understanding of medicine/surgery
I don't know if that is because the writers/show runners have such a low opinion of the public's understanding or because they are too lazy to do things in the appropriate manner

Old 10-07-2017, 09:24 AM

18,886 posts, read 8,867,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
They act like this guy sprang from the head of Zeus-like Athena--total and complete
But he went though med school somewhere
Students in med school do rotations through various departments or areas of medicine before they graduate into Resident status
He HAD to have been exposed to patients in hospital situations and had to have dealt with the spectrum of what might be a necessary test or likely cause of illness...
So the idea that he has never been confronted with having to limit his expectations or horizon is just too fantastical for credibility because it totally disregards how someone actually becomes a resident--

IF he had NOT learned to do a better job and be more specific with his exams and tests, he would never have been a viable candidate to graduate...
Everyone who goes into med school does not come out with a degree--plenty of washouts...
What medical school is in his pedigree???

And regarding removing the kidney--
Was the fact she had such a large and dangerous form of cancer the reason that kidney could not be used as donor kidney for someone in dialysis???

Plus--has anyone ignored the very unrealistic way people are presented AFTER having serious surgery--
That woman was lying in her hospital bed--not in ICU--
She was not incubated--didn't seem to have any pain medication heavily sedating her after MAJOR surgery...
Same with the little girl---
I have seen people after abdominal surgery--
It is not that neat and easy...
For me---this show is about on the level of a 4th grader's understanding of medicine/surgery
I don't know if that is because the writers/show runners have such a low opinion of the public's understanding or because they are too lazy to do things in the appropriate manner
1. If you're going to share your knowledge of medicine with us, please know that the patient wasn't INCUBATED!

2. I've had kidney surgery, gall bladder surgery, and thyroid surgery. Never ended up in ICU, never was "heavily sedated" after surgery, and in all 3 cases was home within 24-36 hours of the surgery.

I actually have to correct what I had previously written. With gall bladder surgery (which included an umbilical hernia repair), I was home 4 hours later.

Last edited by phetaroi; 10-07-2017 at 10:26 AM..

Old 10-07-2017, 09:34 AM

21,432 posts, read 18,144,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. If you're going to share your knowledge of medicine with us, please know that the patient wasn't INCUBATED!

2. I've had kidney surgery, gall bladder surgery, and thyroid surgery. Never ended up in ICU, never was "heavily sedated" after surgery, and in all 3 cases was home within 24-36 hours of the surgery.
Lol, I had to chuckle at the original post of incubated. I nearly choked. Pun intended. Never been in ICU after surgery. No heavy sedation either. Only reason I end up in hospitals a week at a time after surgeries is because I have always managed to get infected with Staph. Different hospitals too!! Lucky me.

Old 10-07-2017, 03:49 PM

2,753 posts, read 1,738,389 times
"And regarding removing the kidney--
Was the fact she had such a large and dangerous form of cancer the reason that kidney could not be used as donor kidney for someone in dialysis???"

Or....put it back in the girl after the tumor was removed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or