Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2018, 01:43 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,695,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
The sister is really stealing the show!

LOVED her last line! "You did hear me!" and she jumps on Sheldon. Priceless!!
I liked the show before that scene. But am hooked for sure since the little girl spoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 02:18 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I'm a forking prophet. Announced just hours after my post...
‘Young Sheldon’ Renewed for Season 2

All due respect to Laurie Metcalf, who is a phenomenal actor, but she's too old to play the mother of a 9 year old. Her RL daughter, Zoe Perry, is doing a great job.
She is doing a great job for sure! I would say she is perfect in this role.

Old 01-06-2018, 04:53 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,014,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
The sister is really stealing the show!

LOVED her last line! "You did hear me!" and she jumps on Sheldon. Priceless!!
This and the scene where Sheldon, with the woman and her husband eating string beans, shows how close he really feels to her, but not quite.

Old 01-06-2018, 06:02 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Before the show premiered, this was my advance evaluation:
Quote:
Most shows provide us with some backstory on the characters, as in how they were occupied before the start of the series. Young Sheldon comes saddled with a lot of future story which limits what they can do. Unless they violate what we already have been told on TBBT, Sheldon will never go on a date, never get kissed, get frequently humiliated by bullies, will go to high school at age 9 and college at age 11. He won't understand humor, won't get along with his brother or twin sister, his mother will be a religious zealot and his father will be a juicehead who is seldom around and who dies when Sheldon is 14, the same year Sheldon graduates from college. The one person he bonds with is his Grandmother.

It will be tough to create any suspenseful situations with so much of the future already known.
Well, in a way they solved all of my objections by doing what I have bolded above. They have thrown off the constraints of what was presented to us on TBBT and are making a show where congruence with TBBT may be negated by convenience.

I find Young Sheldon to be an okay show....it doesn't insult your intelligence, but neither has it become an appointment show. If I missed an episode of TBBT, I'd watch on the CBS site later. If I miss an episode of Young Sheldon....so what?

It annoys me that they took the easy way out, simply neglecting those aspects established on TBBT which didn't square with the warm, touchy feely show that they are doing.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:08 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,771,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Before the show premiered, this was my advance evaluation:

Well, in a way they solved all of my objections by doing what I have bolded above. They have thrown off the constraints of what was presented to us on TBBT and are making a show where congruence with TBBT may be negated by convenience.

I find Young Sheldon to be an okay show....it doesn't insult your intelligence, but neither has it become an appointment show. If I missed an episode of TBBT, I'd watch on the CBS site later. If I miss an episode of Young Sheldon....so what?

It annoys me that they took the easy way out, simply neglecting those aspects established on TBBT which didn't square with the warm, touchy feely show that they are doing.
I like Young Sheldon as well. If I miss an episode here or there, I probably would not try to catch up online either. Overall I like the show alright.

That being said, the episode this week (Sheldon and private school) was pretty good. The acting is decent.

The one glaring problem is so far I don't see Sheldon's father being the drunk jerk described him as in TBBT. Overall his father seems to be a likeable character. They show the father drink an occasional beer, but I don't recall seeing any obvious drunken behavior or not getting along with his mother. The glaring family tension seems to be the father interacting with his mother-in-law.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:02 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,264,002 times
Like I said....
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post
Grown up Sheldon describes his father as drinking a lot. It may have been that he drank sometimes, and young Sheldon's perception was that it was a lot. It's been well-established that Sheldon does not perceive things the way other people do.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:28 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,014,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post
Grown up Sheldon describes his father as drinking a lot. It may have been that he drank sometimes, and young Sheldon's perception was that it was a lot. It's been well-established that Sheldon does not perceive things the way other people do.
I agree. Perception vs. reality is not Sheldons' best known trait.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:03 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,695,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

It is a TV show designed to entertain families.

I am not disappointed that the final script for the actual new show made the father a valuable member of the family instead of a drunk loser creating negative story lines.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:21 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,232,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
It is a TV show designed to entertain families.

I am not disappointed that the final script for the actual new show made the father a valuable member of the family instead of a drunk loser creating negative story lines.
Absolutely this.^^^

Really, would you rather have an entertaining show to watch, or some bleak, dystopian view of life growing up as Sheldon *thinks* it was?

The writers are not dumb. They will (and have, to some degree already) find ways to make this both entertaining, and stay true to the Sheldon we know.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:21 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Absolutely this.^^^

Really, would you rather have an entertaining show to watch, or some bleak, dystopian view of life growing up as Sheldon *thinks* it was?

The writers are not dumb. They will (and have, to some degree already) find ways to make this both entertaining, and stay true to the Sheldon we know.
Yes. I don't see why some people are (first of all) obsessing over a fictional character. If we were talking about a biographical program about a real person, that would be different.

But over ten years ago, when they were formulating the new series TBBT, I doubt it was in their minds that, oh, in a decade we'll do a spin-off about Sheldon as a child. So they went on developing a really quirky character and occasionally said something about his childhood to try to explain some aspects of his quirkiness.

Then, years later, someone comes up with an idea for a spin-off sitcom with Sheldon as a child. And I'm trying to imagine comedy writers saying, "Well, it would be really funny to have an abusive alcoholic father in the show." Or CBS saying, "Yes, in a family sitcom it will really draw in viewers to have an abusive alcoholic father, because that's really a laugh-getter." Maybe if those who had grown up without alcoholism in their family had experienced that (as I did), they wouldn't think it was sit-com fodder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV