U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2018, 01:52 PM

7,583 posts, read 8,009,932 times

Advertisements

This is really developing into a true family sitcom, something that adults can watch with their tweens and teens. So far, it hasn't degenerated into the usual low-brow humor of most sitcoms on network TV. It's not exactly for children like the stuff on Disney, but seems like it would appeal to 12 year olds. Very refreshing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 02:35 PM

37,096 posts, read 17,481,217 times
The posters defending the show don't seem to grasp the nature of the objection. It is not my argument that it would be a better show if they conformed more tightly to the backstory established on TBBT. I agree with everyone who has written that it would be less entertaining if the father was a juicehead and the mother spent all of her time spouting evangelical bromides. I agree that seeing young Sheldon getting beaten up in school and bullied by his brother would not make for an enjoyable series.

My point all along is that if they wanted to do a show like the one which they are doing, they should not have spun it off from TBBT, they should have created an entirely new character and built the show around him. By calling it "Young Sheldon" and having Jim Parsons do the narratives, they are wedded to the backstory established on TBBT. In short, they are simply cashing in on the Sheldon character's name without remaining true to the character and the youthful experiences he has described. And I don't want to hear anything about Sheldon having distorted perceptions or lying about his youth. We have all witnessed how religious his mother is on TBBT, every 4th sentence is something about The Lord. That wasn't a Sheldon perception, we saw it..and the Young Sheldon mom does not seem especially religious at all.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:45 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,213,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
My point all along is that if they wanted to do a show like the one which they are doing, they should not have spun it off from TBBT, they should have created an entirely new character and built the show around him. By calling it "Young Sheldon" and having Jim Parsons do the narratives, they are wedded to the backstory established on TBBT. In short, they are simply cashing in on the Sheldon character's name without remaining true to the character and the youthful experiences he has described. And I don't want to hear anything about Sheldon having distorted perceptions or lying about his youth. We have all witnessed how religious his mother is on TBBT, every 4th sentence is something about The Lord. That wasn't a Sheldon perception, we saw it..and the Young Sheldon mom does not seem especially religious at all.
Then all of us will have to agree to disagree (I say all of us, as you are the lone voice on this point).

They absolutely should have made this as Young Sheldon. We know the adult Sheldon, and that very much colors our watching of this show. It's a joy to see Young Sheldon growing up, while in our minds we know "Old" Sheldon. IMHO, this show would lose half of its appeal if it was a random kid, as Sheldon has become an iconic figure of this day and age.

And where is the crime in making the show what they want? So it doesn't exactly match YOUR criteria, so it's a sellout?

Let it go... I'm going to. My last post on this point.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:49 PM

19,007 posts, read 8,921,195 times
Quote:
The posters defending the show don't seem to grasp the nature of the objection. It is not my argument that it would be a better show if they conformed more tightly to the backstory established on TBBT. I agree with everyone who has written that it would be less entertaining if the father was a juicehead and the mother spent all of her time spouting evangelical bromides. I agree that seeing young Sheldon getting beaten up in school and bullied by his brother would not make for an enjoyable series.

1. You won't like it, but there is no certainty that any son's remembrances of their father are accurate. My mother has a very different perspective about my father than I do, and in fact, the whole L---- side of the family saw him very differently than other people. When you have a child who wears mittens to hold hands in prayer, maybe his perceptions aren't very realistic.

2. In terms of the mother and religion, in the new show religion is there, but not emphasized. However, I have know more than one person who, at some point in their life, suddenly found the Lord and became fanatical about it.

But here's the solution: when I truly dislike what is happening on a show, I stop watching. When I truly dislike what I'm seeing in a movie, I walk out. If you can't accept the show as it is, stop watching. That's what I have done with any number of television shows over the years.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
So it doesn't exactly match YOUR criteria, so it's a sellout?

Should I rely on anyone's else's criteria in forming my judgments? Aren't you relying on yours? By capitalizing "your" you try and make it sound like some capricious, ludicrous standard. Does that describe mine but not yours?

Quote:
Let it go... I'm going to. My last post on this point.
Thanks for the order, but I shall continue to post as I see fit. I am gratified that there will be no response from you..if you are true to your word.

Old 01-07-2018, 04:39 PM

2,761 posts, read 1,747,459 times
Quote:
"The posters defending the show don't seem to grasp the nature of the objection."

A reminder.....it is a TV show.

[b] "In short, they are simply cashing in on the Sheldon character's name" [/B

Exactly they used BBT as a lead in for a new TV Show

"And I don't want to hear anything about Sheldon having distorted perceptions or lying about his youth."

Why?
Bottom line is it is a TV show that is doing well as we make our entries.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

But here's the solution: when I truly dislike what is happening on a show, I stop watching. When I truly dislike what I'm seeing in a movie, I walk out. If you can't accept the show as it is, stop watching. That's what I have done with any number of television shows over the years.
Could you please explain the practical difference between you advising me to solve the problem by not watching, and let us say, me advising you to solve your problem of not liking my posts by not reading or responding to them?

Old 01-07-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Could you please explain the practical difference between you advising me to solve the problem by not watching, and let us say, me advising you to solve your problem of not liking my posts by not reading or responding to them?
The topic of this thread is a particular television show, not my personal posting/reading habits. Young Sheldon is a good and decent show. It gives a degree of insight about a particular type of child, a type which I have seen any number of times during my 33 years in education. The program has a good sense of humor and portrays the challenges families face when they have one family member way out of sync with everyone else in the family. However, it's still just a fictional television show. And in fiction, authors can do pretty much anything they want. The ratings are quite good, the reviews fairly positive. Of course, as with any show, no matter how good or how bad, some people won't like it. And that is fine. Last season, there were 455 scripted shows on television. There's plenty out there for almost everyone to find shows they enjoy and stick with.

Last edited by phetaroi; 01-07-2018 at 08:31 PM..

Old 01-07-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
When I come the conclusion that a poster's posts are consistently problematic, that's what I do.

However, the topic of this thread is a particular television show, not my personal posting/reading habits. .
Your objection previously was me offering my opinion on the show in question. You advised me to stop watching as the solution to my being bothered by the aspects I have described. I have come to the conclusion that your responses to my posts are "consistently problematic" and I advise you to cease responding.

Now, again, what is the practical difference between our advice for one another?

Old 01-07-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Your objection previously was me offering my opinion on the show in question. You advised me to stop watching as the solution to my being bothered by the aspects I have described. I have come to the conclusion that your responses to my posts are "consistently problematic" and I advise you to cease responding.

Now, again, what is the practical difference between our advice for one another?
Young Sheldon is a good show with positive family values. Like all shows it is not perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or