U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2018, 04:52 PM

951 posts, read 873,372 times

Advertisements

I try to watch when I can---unfortunately, I have no way to record and have a recurring cards night every other Thurs. I went onto CBS site thinking I could catch up, but it seems they are pushing their streaming ap and no longer post older episodes of some or all shows....

So far have enjoyed the ones I did watch, and the kid who plays Sheldon doing a really good job! The other 2 sibs are fun to watch, too.

Someone mentioned not liking adult Sheldon narrating, but that actually helps me follow it, I think. I've only watched TBBT for a couple seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 05:19 PM

36,944 posts, read 17,425,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Keep in mind, we already know the future — these parents don’t have a happy marriage, and the dad is going to start drinking more and is going to die by What? Sheldon’s 14th birthday?
We thought we knew the future. There have already been numerous departures from what TBBT led us to expect, so nothing may be considered safe.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:19 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,193,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
We thought we knew the future. There have already been numerous departures from what TBBT led us to expect, so nothing may be considered safe.
There is a huge difference between our expectations, and changing facts. It's a fact his dad died at a certain point, and there is no way they change that.

Expectations are a belief that something will happen, and beliefs are just suppositions and presumptions. Intangibles. Because your expectations haven't been met doesn't mean anything. To someone else, they may be met.

They haven't changed any facts. They have simply shown us things different than the way some expected to see them. There's that word again... expect.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:34 PM

18,863 posts, read 8,860,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
There is a huge difference between our expectations, and changing facts. It's a fact his dad died at a certain point, and there is no way they change that.

Expectations are a belief that something will happen, and beliefs are just suppositions and presumptions. Intangibles. Because your expectations haven't been met doesn't mean anything. To someone else, they may be met.

They haven't changed any facts. They have simply shown us things different than the way some expected to see them. There's that word again... expect.
There is no FACT that his dad died at a certain point because these stories are total fiction.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:39 PM

2,753 posts, read 1,737,435 times
The new show has done well and built up it's own following.
Much of the success may be due to the father's warm personality and heavy on screen presence. This may have contributed to the show's high ranking so far.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:42 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,193,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
There is no FACT that his dad died at a certain point because these stories are total fiction.
Duh! Of course they're fiction, it's TV. But in the context of the series, it's fact.

I really needed to explain this?

Old 01-27-2018, 07:25 AM

36,944 posts, read 17,425,944 times
Quote:

You could be a spokesperson for some 1984 style world order.

These weren't lies, they were truth adjustments.

What you describe above is perfectly legitimate for a magic act.....you are misdirected in your expectations and a surprise result materializes. It does not at all describe the situation at hand which is YS altering facts established on TBBT.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:57 AM

18,863 posts, read 8,860,357 times
Quote:
Duh! Of course they're fiction, it's TV. But in the context of the series, it's fact.

I really needed to explain this?
I doubt that when TBBT got started that the creators had any inkling that a decade later they'd spin off a "Young Sheldon" series. So they set up a story line.

Then, nearly a decade later they begin working on a spin off and realize that a sitcom with an abusive father and a fanatically religious mother in steady doses is not going to be a family comedy show that will sustain most viewers. So they adjust a few parts of a fictional work to fit a new fictional work. How odd that they'd want to be successful. I actually prefer drama shows and movies, but I would turn off a sitcom about an abusive father and a over-religious mother as being grating. The program's ratings are strong. Apparently most viewers like what they see. A few nit-pickers don't.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:26 AM

710 posts, read 812,990 times
So far I have not seen anything on YS that is that inconsistent with TBBT. Children's memories are often spotty, and they don't always know and/or understand why adults are acting the way they are . And even a genius may have skewed memories that fits his personal narrative. Adult Sheldon is prone to exaggeration when retelling stories or describing scenarios.

I wasn't sure they could do a prequel with such an established backstory, but the cast makes me want to believe besides I have decided to enjoy the show as a standalone.

There's the ticket> TBBT has turned into standard sitcom/romcom fare, not a niche comedy like it used to be . YS is fresh.

Old 01-27-2018, 03:58 PM

18,717 posts, read 4,702,479 times
Liked the "brisket" episode but didn't care for the "computer" one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or