U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 02:50 PM

8,145 posts, read 11,877,664 times

Advertisements

I think it's ok, but the Klingons freak me out and how the h*ll is this supposed to predate TOS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 03:07 PM

33,146 posts, read 39,103,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venture2000 View Post
I abandoned this series after episode 4. #Not-My-Star-Trek.

I am curious where you obtained this information though.
Its an opinion based on what i'm reading from various forums including this one , feel free to disagree if you like.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:10 AM

33,146 posts, read 39,103,690 times
To add/ no one seems to be talking about the show which adds to my impression no one is interested . i predict a one season run at best =
http://www.city-data.com/forum/tv/

Old 10-23-2017, 11:01 AM

32,116 posts, read 39,199,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Not looking like Discovery is a big hit, unfortunately the long awaited StarTrek series is looking like a dud and will be lucky to finish season one.
Quote:
To add/ no one seems to be talking about the show which adds to my impression no one is interested . i predict a one season run at best =
https://techcrunch.com/2017/10/23/cb...ason/?ncid=rss

Old 10-23-2017, 12:05 PM

1,784 posts, read 1,147,676 times
Quote:
It's been renewed for a second season after 6 episodes: https://io9.gizmodo.com/star-trek-di...son-1819766622

What are your predictions for next years stock market?

Old 10-24-2017, 12:22 AM
Yac

5,875 posts, read 6,294,617 times
I watch it. I like it. In fact I've found out yesterday I was more excited for the next episode of Star Trek than I was for the new season of the Walking Dead, which was somewhat surprising.
So far I like the characters, the plot is ok. It's not on "the Expanse" level as far as sf goes, but it's a good show nonetheless.

Old 10-24-2017, 04:32 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,617,482 times
Discovery is a HIT despite the intentions of Star Trek detractors. CBS and Netflix have already confirmed it's set new records for subscribers *because* of Discovery. That's really end of story. If you don't like it, stop talking about it - there are a billion other shows out there go watch them. If you're so stuck in the past variants of Star Trek then simply watch Star Trek Continues on Youtube or any of the other fan creations.

I like the high production quality of Discovery, gritty version of this Star Trek universe. We've had enough of the G/PG versions of Star Trek and like the near R rated conceptualization. I think it's GREAT I can look forward to Discovery *and* Walking Dead on the same night (and the streaming service means I can tune in whenever I want).

Really you guys that feel the need to endlessly poo poo the series because you don't want to trade the price of a cup of coffee each week for a great show, or, are so offended that Spock *might* have had an adopted sister (and other continuity adjustments) , need to move the heck on.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:34 AM
Yac

5,875 posts, read 6,294,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Discovery is a HIT despite the intentions of Star Trek detractors. CBS and Netflix have already confirmed it's set new records for subscribers *because* of Discovery. That's really end of story. If you don't like it, stop talking about it - there are a billion other shows out there go watch them. If you're so stuck in the past variants of Star Trek then simply watch Star Trek Continues on Youtube or any of the other fan creations.

I like the high production quality of Discovery, gritty version of this Star Trek universe. We've had enough of the G/PG versions of Star Trek and like the near R rated conceptualization. I think it's GREAT I can look forward to Discovery *and* Walking Dead on the same night (and the streaming service means I can tune in whenever I want).

Really you guys that feel the need to endlessly poo poo the series because you don't want to trade the price of a cup of coffee each week for a great show, or, are so offended that Spock *might* have had an adopted sister (and other continuity adjustments) , need to move the heck on.
This. Risking I'll hijack the thread, as I'm not an American, the amount of politics people see in this show is baffling. Especially if they're just seeing it now - Star Trek has always, since the very first season, been a progressive show. It was, on can say, on the cutting edge of social change and progress. And now, in 2017, I see all these supposed "fans of Star Trek, but not this show" being upset ? So you're a fan and it took you this long to notice what has been the cornerstone of the series since the beginning ?
The show has some flaws, for example it's beyond my comprehension why they need to have the highest ranking officers on the line all the time, why can't they do what (admittedly, the show wasn't that great) Stargate: Universe did, with various characters and a dedicated military team among them to handle all the fighting ? But that's about all I have right now. Can't really come up with any more flaws right now.

Take it from someone who really doesn't have a dog in this silly, politcal race: if you just leave your emotional and political baggage at the door, so to say, and try watching the show free of political prejudice, it's actually quite good.

Also, please don't turn this into a fight over politics, in case you feel like going at it.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:09 AM

17,917 posts, read 9,849,196 times
With regard to the "holodeck" seen on the recent episode "Lethe"...

First, while it uses holograms, it's not a "holodeck." I'm frankly surprised finicky Star Trek fans didn't notice the clear differences:

1. There was no physical interaction with the holograms.
2. The humans had to bring in their own weapons.
3. All action was confined to the physical space of the actual room--there was no holodeck "enlargement" of the space.
4. The system presented holograms and registered "hits" on the holograms, as well as registering simulated "hits" on the humans.

We nearly have that technology now.

Second, The Animated Series had already introduced the concept on the Enterprise.

Old 10-29-2017, 09:46 PM

17,917 posts, read 9,849,196 times
Episode 7 of Discovery wins science fiction again. They did an old trope--time loops--but they did it well and wound up with a very Trek-like episode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or