U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 08:56 AM

17,895 posts, read 9,831,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Thats unfortunate as i was hoping for a weekly series and not an every once in a while mini series.
That's the way it is with internet based programming these days. It's been that way for a few years now. Short seasons of 10 to 15 programs with a couple month hiatus in the middle and then nearly a year before the next season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 04:01 PM

33,134 posts, read 39,078,504 times
Well whatever it is the series continues tonight.

Old 01-08-2018, 03:04 AM

32,106 posts, read 39,170,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Well whatever it is the series continues tonight.
Last night.
Wow.

Old 01-08-2018, 05:17 AM

Fan theories:
Spoiler
Confirmed--Tyler is Voq
Probable--Lorca is from the Mirror Universe
Rebutted--Discovery had been in the Mirror Universe all along

Old 01-08-2018, 05:23 AM

32,106 posts, read 39,170,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Fan theories:
Spoiler
Confirmed--Tyler is Voq
Probable--Lorca is from the Mirror Universe
Rebutted--Discovery had been in the Mirror Universe all along
I still don't know where your second one comes from.

Any bets on the identity of the "Emperor"?

Spoiler
My money is on Georgiou.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:27 AM

1,784 posts, read 1,144,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

Spoiler
My money is on Georgiou.
Spoiler
Emperor Tiberius of course!

Old 01-08-2018, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

Regarding Lorca:

Spoiler
While he was in the prime universe, fans have noted how bellicose he is. Particularly telling was that he was totally on edge about someone killing him in bed--even a lover--and he kept a phaser in his belt. Note: That's the primary method of promotion in the Terran Empire. I held my judgment about that, but...

While in the MU, Lorca appears to be totally at home. He has not batted an eye at anything they've seen or experienced, and he's been on point to warn them exactly how they must behave. When he was faced with going into the agonizer booth, he was quick to warn Burnham that it had to happen--even though theoretically he shouldn't have even known what it was. Lorca is just too "comfortable" with the MU.

My theory is that the prime universe Lorca actually died with the Buran. I don't know how the MU Lorca got to the PU, but it must have been while escaping from the aborted coup against the Emperor. That might also mean that the MU Burnham might still be in the PU somewhere.

One of my earlier objections to Lorca being from the MU was that we've seen MU officers are so savage they can't operate at all in the PU without it being noted immediately. In this case, if if Lorca had actually been morally opposed to the Terran Empire, he's not such a bad guy--relatively speaking.

Quote:

Spoiler
My money is on Georgiou.
Regarding the Emperor:

Spoiler
We've been told Yeoh will return in the series. It's a good bet she's the Emperor. She may be Hoshi Sato (cloned or given long-life treatments), or a descendant of Sato.

The only problem with that theory is that they indicated Georgiou is of Chinese ancestry (Chinese memorabilia in her room), while "Hoshi Sato" is definitely Japanese. They may just ignore that tidbit and press on with Yeoh anyway.

(The native ancestry of the actors is irrelevant. "Hoshi Sato," for instance, was played by an actress of Korean ancestry...and acting is acting.)

Old 01-08-2018, 12:01 PM

Back in the 80s, I read a contemporary artist from the USSR complaining about the fact that all art in the USSR was always judged for its political content. The artist exclaimed, "Sometimes I just want to paint a picture of a vase of flowers."

These days, it seems that all programs are judged by their political content instead of their stories. Of course, it doesn't help when produces initially try to sell their programs on political content--the unfortunate case with Discovery.

So now, in order to quell a political/ideological firestorm that has been ignited by last night's episode, the producers have had to hastily spoil their own plot:

Spoiler
"He's only mostly dead, and that means he's slightly alive." (Thanks to "The Princess Bride" for so many good quotations.)

Lost in the ideological brou-ha-ha is the dramatic fact that the story cut short both of the only two romance interests by the same act.

It's just a space drama, folks, it's not a political manifesto.

Old 01-08-2018, 05:14 PM

9,265 posts, read 7,284,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Back in the 80s, I read a contemporary artist from the USSR complaining about the fact that all art in the USSR was always judged for its political content. The artist exclaimed, "Sometimes I just want to paint a picture of a vase of flowers."

These days, it seems that all programs are judged by their political content instead of their stories. Of course, it doesn't help when produces initially try to sell their programs on political content--the unfortunate case with Discovery.

So now, in order to quell a political/ideological firestorm that has been ignited by last night's episode, the producers have had to hastily spoil their own plot:

Spoiler
"He's only mostly dead, and that means he's slightly alive." (Thanks to "The Princess Bride" for so many good quotations.)

Lost in the ideological brou-ha-ha is the dramatic fact that the story cut short both of the only two romance interests by the same act.

It's just a space drama, folks, it's not a political manifesto.
What political content was pushed by the producers?

Old 01-08-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
What political content was pushed by the producers?
I said, "...produces initially try to sell their programs on political content--the unfortunate case with Discovery," which is different from what you claimed I said.

For instance:

Quote:
As "Star Trek: Discovery" awaits the sci-fi franchise's first TV premiere in over a decade, the show's cast and crew discussed the politically inspired elements behind the show's creation in a new interview with Rolling Stone.

Aaron Haberts, a co-executive producer on the show, told the outlet that Donald Trump's candidacy was "front and center in our minds" when they started putting the series together in 2015.

Haberts said one of the antagonist groups on "Star Trek: Discovery" is an extremist Klingon sect, whose rallying cry, "Remain Klingon," the show made intentionally similar to Trump's "Make America Great Again" slogan.
'Star Trek: Discovery': Klingon slogan made similar to Trump's 'MAGA' - Business Insider

Now, I personally didn't detect any of that, except maybe when the story turned to the Terran Empire in the last episode, and Haberts' comment wasn't what should have been used to sell the program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or