Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 05:25 AM

45,333 posts, read 60,500,026 times

Advertisements

I just kept thinking about the old "painting yourself into a corner" thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 11:29 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,543,620 times
The latest episode rocked! Sooooo sooo soo good - emperor georgiou is so freaking sexy....jeez and the fight scene, I nearly passed out it was so hot lol.

Does anyone actually think Lorca is dead - I mean the Star Fleet universe version? They pulled a fast one and allowed previously killed characters to come back - I figured this isn't the last we've seen of him...he's to good an actor and element on the show to let go just yet.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:06 PM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
The latest episode rocked! Sooooo sooo soo good - emperor georgiou is so freaking sexy....jeez and the fight scene, I nearly passed out it was so hot lol.

Does anyone actually think Lorca is dead - I mean the Star Fleet universe version? They pulled a fast one and allowed previously killed characters to come back - I figured this isn't the last we've seen of him...he's to good an actor and element on the show to let go just yet.
Isaacs says he's done with Lorca. Martin-Green said she'll miss having him on the set.

The fact is, being too closely tied to Star Trek is bad for an aspiring actor's career. Only a very few have survived it. Isaacs played an awesome villain who kept the audience guessing and went out in a blaze. Star Trek has done for him as an actor the best it can do.

Now, if he can't get another gig, if CBS offers him enough money, then for sure, a job is a job. But at this point, Isaacs says he's done with Lorca.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:14 PM

Discovery has posed a question: Does the Federation deserve to survive?

We have always seen the Federation as the epitome of, essentially, a Western-style liberal democracy. We think this even though Star Trek has never even described what sort of government the Federation actually has (President? Prime Minister? Oracle? Cabel of Illuminati?).

But T'Kuvma assails the Federation as an empire of soft invasion, claiming "We come in peace" but actually infiltrating with foreign culture and taking over with a velvet-gloved fist. T'Kuvma's assessment of the Federation sounds very much like Osam bin Laden's assessment of the West in general and the US in particular, in its effect on Muslim nations.

But in this last episode, the emperor of the Terran Empire gives her assessment of the Federation. She has read about it from the library of the old Defiant. She assesses it as insipid and weak, unable to stand against a determined foe from the outside or even an aggressive foe from the inside. The emperor sounds a lot like Donald Trump.

Both are making a critical assessment of the very concept of Western liberal democracy, as has always been portrayed in Star Trek as the Federation.

The question to be answered in the final two episodes: Are they right? Does the Federation deserve to survive? Can a Western liberal democracy like the US survive Islam on one side and right wing nationalism on the other?

Old 01-30-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Isaacs says he's done with Lorca. Martin-Green said she'll miss having him on the set.

The fact is, being too closely tied to Star Trek is bad for an aspiring actor's career. Only a very few have survived it. Isaacs played an awesome villain who kept the audience guessing and went out in a blaze. Star Trek has done for him as an actor the best it can do.

Now, if he can't get another gig, if CBS offers him enough money, then for sure, a job is a job. But at this point, Isaacs says he's done with Lorca.

I remember a guy named Jon Snow being dead and the actor playing him saying the same thing.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:23 PM

Ok, tonight was a home run.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:51 PM

As much as I've enjoyed Discovery this season, I was unimpressed and let down by the finale.

Spoiler
There was zero climactic drama. It fizzled out. Everyone decided to just be nice and go home and give each other medals and speeches.

Timewise, the Klingon armada is portrayed as though it were a ravenous wolfpack with a cornered prey. They were within the Solar System...and still took at least hours if not a day while the away team prowled the caverns, Tilly was stoned unconscious, the mirror Georgiou noodled two Orion slaves, they ate whale meat, won a game of Klingon craps, had a speech in the Klingon assembly...and by then the Klingon armada had just gotten to within Luna.

L'Rell is just as much Klingon as any other. Why would she--after getting control of the doomsday detonator--threaten her own homeworld instead of just saying, "We've going to unify tomorrow...carry on the attack today."

Burnham's end speech was out of place, really lousy forced narration...and long for it, too. That was how kindergarten teachers end a fable...just in case the kiddies didn't get it. "And everyone lived happily ever after because they all learned the error of their ways and decided to be nice people."

And the Enterprise cameo at the end was just as forced and spurious. It was nothing but "Okay, you haters, here's the Enterprise you love so much."

Jeeez. I've enjoyed and defended this show so much over the past 15 weeks...and it's got to screw the pooch at the very end.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 02-11-2018 at 09:03 PM..

Old 02-12-2018, 06:33 AM

Spoiler
See, I didn't think tonight was a letdown. They recentered on canon, you know the complainers who said "This isn't the Star Fleet we know. These people are mean". They brought in some, or will, some familiar characters. Tied up loose ends, the spore drive. I, too, was disappointed with the Klingon piece. The show also is suffering from Game of Thrones Timeline Syndrome.

Old 02-12-2018, 04:51 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
I thought the ending was great am now wondering where the story line goes from here. unfortunately the show doesn't seem to be on next week,is this another of their mid season time outs?

Old 02-12-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I thought the ending was great am now wondering where the story line goes from here. unfortunately the show doesn't seem to be on next week,is this another of their mid season time outs?
The next season starts sometime in 2019. That's the way cable/internet television works these days with many programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV