U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 05:53 AM

33,872 posts, read 40,584,742 times

Advertisements

2019 heck I was just getting into the show,now I gotta wait a year to see the next episode? this is looking like an occasional mini series rather than a regular tv show.
Up here in Canada we get the show on regular cable tv,(Space Channel) many shows air much longer seasons than Startrek is giving us .
To bad video drivel like sister wives (Wifes Favorite)couldn't take a years hiatus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 06:45 AM

19,256 posts, read 10,683,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
2019 heck I was just getting into the show,now I gotta wait a year to see the next episode? this is looking like an occasional mini series rather than a regular tv show.
Up here in Canada we get the show on regular cable tv,(Space Channel) many shows air much longer seasons than Startrek is giving us .
To bad video drivel like sister wives (Wifes Favorite)couldn't take a years hiatus
No, compare it to shows like The Expanse, Agents of SHIELD, The Magicians, Westworld, Game of Thrones, Doctor Who...having such a long hiatus is par for the course these days, particularly with programs that are CGI heavy.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:26 PM

33,872 posts, read 40,584,742 times
Any idea when Orville is set to return?

Old 02-13-2018, 04:27 PM

33,560 posts, read 41,108,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Any idea when Orville is set to return?
Last I saw was late 2018/early2019.

Like Discovery, a heavy CGI show.

I do hope that Discovery brings back some normal looking Klingons, although I remember people whining about how they looked when Star Trek-The Motion Picture came out.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:11 AM

1,688 posts, read 1,340,799 times
Watched the finale a couple days ago. I came away impressed. CBS seems to know what they're doing with their streaming shows because The Good Fight is good too (can't wait for season 2 next month). I only have 1 gripe. Michael was raised by Sarek so that means she and Spock grew up as siblings. Yet whenever she's with Sarek or Amanda she never mentions him or asks about him. It's insignificant I know but I found it a little strange

Old 02-14-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesG73 View Post
Watched the finale a couple days ago. I came away impressed. CBS seems to know what they're doing with their streaming shows because The Good Fight is good too (can't wait for season 2 next month). I only have 1 gripe. Michael was raised by Sarek so that means she and Spock grew up as siblings. Yet whenever she's with Sarek or Amanda she never mentions him or asks about him. It's insignificant I know but I found it a little strange
First, Burnham is several years older than Spock. There's no reason to think they were close (and good reason to think they were not). Amanda might had tried to make them close--but maybe not, if they had to live in a Vulcan world. Sarek would not have encouraged any closeness.

From all we know of Vulcans, they don't talk about their private lives. Spock had never mentioned to Kirk that his father was a prominent Vulcan ambassador, nor did either Spock or Sarek ever speak of his brother Sybok.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:20 AM

Although there were a number of plot niggles that annoyed me about the finale, the most significant thing I that there were no consequences for evil.
SPOILEER BELOW (button doesn't seem to work on this machine):

Nobody paid any consequences for the evil they did. At the end, it was all la-de-da, kumbaya, y'all be good, now.

The emperor, for instance, is evil as hell. She kills people who merely annoy her. She eats people and thoroughly enjoys it. But she gets to walk away with nothing more than a, "You be good, now--don't make me have to come after you." What? She's a freaking remorseless killing machine. Through the entire episode, right up until the last moment, she was evil. At no point did she ever repent of evil. She's not going to get a 9-to-5. The first thing she's going to do is kill someone for his pocket change. But she walks away with a smile. They don't even maroon her on a deserted planet.

There is Ash/Voq, the Manchurean Candidate. As Voq, he helped propel the entire war against the Federation, a true believer that humans must be eradicated. He also killed the nice doctor (the gay black guy--and there are two tropes about the gay guy and the black guy always being the one getting killed...Discovery got two tropes for one in that deal). Then he nearly choked the main protagonist to death.

He may or may not still be Voq (L'Rell was the person who implanted the Ash consciousness in Voq, and she was also the person who claimed she'd removed the Voq consciousness from Ash). We don't really know the Voq consciousness isn't still there, and even if it's not, Ash demonstrated that he's still down with bringing out his inner Klingon whenever he wants to. He is a treasure trove of intelligence, knowing the secrets of both the Klingons and the Federation.

Voq was the Klingon L'Rell's love interest. Ash was the human Burnham's love interest. In the end, both women want him back. The SOB get his choice of either woman in the end. Even though he choked out Burnham, she's willing to take him back (and that's a stereotype of black women, too). But he gets to walk away with the woman of his choice, to being the boytoy of the future queen of Klingons.

Then there is L'Rell, who was also one of the Klingon instigators of the terrible war on the Federation. She was remorseless right through the end as well, breathing nothing but threats to utterly destroy humanity. At no point did she ever repent or recant. They gave her their only key to saving the Federation, which was also the key to gaining control of the Klingon homeworld...and she didn't even promise never to attack the Federation again (but she had promised that unless the Federation utterly crushed the Klingons, the Klingons would never stop coming after them). But L'Rell gets to walk away, la-de-da, after having helped foment a war that killed thousands of Federation citizens.

Finally, there are Admiral Cornwell, Sarek, and the Federation Council. They all conspired to commit genocide. At the very end, the stalwart crew of the Discovery refuses to carry out those orders. But the orders were given, and they were illegal. If the Discovery crew was justified in refusing to obey those orders, then the persons who gave the orders should have been prosecuted. But, no...all's well that ends well. Let's just forget about that conspiracy to commit genocide thing.

WTF? Thousands of people have been killed, the nice doctor gets his neck broken, folk get eaten for dinner...and everyone with any responsibility just walks away.

What's the moral of that story?

Old 02-14-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

What's the moral of that story?
That context is for Kings.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That context is for Kings.
Can't rep you anymore, but "touché."

Old 02-14-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Can't rep you anymore, but "touché."
I thought you'd like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or