Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 01:38 PM

16,390 posts, read 12,405,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the Writer's Guild strike was the launching point for "reality TV". (insert vomit emoji here)
Definitely not. The Real World is largely regarded as the show that kicked off the trend, and it started in 1992. And plenty of very popular shows (Big Brother, Survivor, American Idol, Amazing Race, Americas Next Top Model, and many others) got their start looong before the 2007 strike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 01:52 PM
ERH

1,696 posts, read 2,518,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Definitely not. The Real World is largely regarded as the show that kicked off the trend, and it started in 1992. And plenty of very popular shows (Big Brother, Survivor, American Idol, Amazing Race, Americas Next Top Model, and many others) got their start looong before the 2007 strike.
Hmmm, you are correct. I wonder why I have that stuck in my brain??!! Thanks for the correction!

Old 09-28-2017, 02:34 PM

3,285 posts, read 3,001,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Who remembers the strike launched by the Writers Guild of America in 2007 and 2008? Did it affect your favorite shows?
I do--the hacks they hired to take the place of the writers totally ruined "Friday Night Lights" and several of my favorite soap operas with their bizarre, incomprehensible plots and the characters' abrupt about-face personality changes.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:35 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,032,368 times
Quote:
I think the granddaddy of them all was "An American Family" which ran on PBS in the early '70's. It was the first "reality" series of any kind.

Old 09-28-2017, 06:45 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,728,366 times
It caused NBC to cancel my favorite show Las Vegas.
It caused Michael Bay to single handily write Transformers Revenge of the Fallen which is just a mess of a story that makes no sense that has so many plot holes and is all over the place.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
It caused NBC to cancel my favorite show Las Vegas.

I loved that show! So disappointed that I haven't been able to find it streaming anywhere (or on DVD)

Old 09-28-2017, 08:24 PM

416 posts, read 406,669 times
So many good shows lost to the qaugmire of financial and contractual disputes. It annoyed the viewers but in reality hurt some actors careers severely. Seemed like a few actors fell of the face of the earth. Struggling to recall names.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:44 AM

23,658 posts, read 13,854,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
It caused NBC to cancel my favorite show Las Vegas.......
Comme ce, comme ca.

While I loved "Las Vegas", it was only when it was on Friday. It was a wonderful way to greet the weekend.

When they moved it to, Tuesday was it?, it dropped off the radar for me. Partly, probably, because of classes and that "overflow" from the weekend usually meant I was sleep deprived and could not watch TV before Wednesday but partly because its timestamp was then out of reach of the weekend.

TV shows are timestamped by their commercials. Shows on Thursday are showing commercials for the weekend such as what movies open up on Friday, what is the sale at Macy's, and commercials for Lowe's and car dealerships.

Back to the subject, by then, TV was in its last gasps of life for me, because ......

Quote:
Yes, something like that.

My TV line up on Tuesday, once upon a time, was often PBS NOVA, the discovery channel of The New Detectives (which the VCR was recording) while I was having dinner at Mom's and watching "Judging Amy".

Around 2005 or so, I was shocked to realize that Judging Amy was ending.....and reality TV was moving in. Discovery channel went "Biker" and started showing essentially junk. While NOVA didn't disappear, the difficulties of continuing with a VCR soon dashed my continual watching.

So while the strike was a while after such a format change, it certainly didn't help the status of things.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 09-29-2017 at 02:53 AM..

Old 09-29-2017, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I think the granddaddy of them all was "An American Family" which ran on PBS in the early '70's. It was the first "reality" series of any kind.
True, but that show did little to influence the modern reality TV trend.

Old 09-29-2017, 11:52 PM

4,057 posts, read 5,629,019 times
The quality of broadcast TV really went down after that...maybe they brought in really cheap, untalented writers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV