Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 12:12 PM

50,247 posts, read 23,866,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Exactly. The whole point of the series is delving into the family dynamics.
Yes. I have never been a "royal watcher", but I have been very interested in the manner in which this family apparently operated (of course, a bit fictionalized). How interesting that modern British history evolved so much based on divorce (for example), both in the cases of Edward's abdication and Margaret's romance. I also found the relationship between the PM and the Queen to be interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 01:37 PM

22,849 posts, read 28,091,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes. I have never been a "royal watcher", but I have been very interested in the manner in which this family apparently operated (of course, a bit fictionalized). How interesting that modern British history evolved so much based on divorce (for example), both in the cases of Edward's abdication and Margaret's romance. I also found the relationship between the PM and the Queen to be interesting.
I've never been interested in the modern royals at all. Could not possibly care less. But I'm loving THE CROWN. It's a great drama. If I had to pick a central theme, it would be Duty. How everyone in the show tries (or not) to do their duty and the sacrifices they have to make to do so. Elizabeth definitely comes across as an admirable heroine.

I too found the episodes around divorce sadly ironic, considering that the entire reason the Church of England exists is because Henry VIII wanted a divorce. Divorce was the Founding Event of the C of E.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:29 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,959,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
It'll be interesting to see how many seasons they do and how close to current times they get. I wonder who they'll get to take over the role of the Queen. I couldn't really see Claire Foy playing a nonagenarian. ;-)

I finished the second season a little while ago ... enjoyed it, though not as much as the first season. I actually kind of missed Churchill and could have used more Margaret. And considering how extraodinary the casting has been on this show, it was very disappointing to see how distractingly bad the casting of the Kennedys was.
Yes! The character of Jackie K. was awful, and they got her hair totally wrong. SPOILER!!!!

If memory serves, her voice was totally different. But her hair! I looked at actual pics and her hair was sooo much better in real life. And, frankly, Jackie herself photographed better as well. For a character to have been educated as she was, she spoke without a trace of it. And the scene where Kennedy supposedly attacked her! Nowhere have I read that JFK was abusive, although we all know now about his philandering.

Other than that, I liked the series. It does take liberties with history. Apparently Philip was never implicated in the Profumo scandal. You can look up this stuff though.

Old 12-17-2017, 02:09 PM

6,954 posts, read 11,996,905 times
The relationship between Philip and Elizabeth is so fascinating. I wonder if he is so protective of her in real life. Truly he has had a hard life, his dignity and manhood in question all the time. I wonder about the possible ballerina affair. Truth or fiction?

Old 12-17-2017, 04:33 PM

50,247 posts, read 23,866,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
The relationship between Philip and Elizabeth is so fascinating. I wonder if he is so protective of her in real life. Truly he has had a hard life, his dignity and manhood in question all the time. I wonder about the possible ballerina affair. Truth or fiction?
I wouldn't exactly say a "hard life".

Old 12-17-2017, 04:57 PM

671 posts, read 442,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Yes! The character of Jackie K. was awful, and they got her hair totally wrong. SPOILER!!!!

If memory serves, her voice was totally different. But her hair! I looked at actual pics and her hair was sooo much better in real life. And, frankly, Jackie herself photographed better as well. For a character to have been educated as she was, she spoke without a trace of it. And the scene where Kennedy supposedly attacked her! Nowhere have I read that JFK was abusive, although we all know now about his philandering.

Other than that, I liked the series. It does take liberties with history. Apparently Philip was never implicated in the Profumo scandal. You can look up this stuff though.
They really screwed up in who played Jackie and JFK. And it was a load of hogwash to boot. What an insult.

Old 12-17-2017, 05:00 PM

671 posts, read 442,743 times
Elizabeth has no emotions and is cold as ice. Plus, they are all totally snobby which does not necessarily mean classy. Philip is a wuss and always has been. Even being an old codger, he is still ok with being Elizabeths pet as long as she rewards him with medals, titles or biscuits. No wonder Charles is so screwed up having those two as parents. But...they are not showing anything that I didn't already suspect, so it is still interesting to watch my imagination of what they are like come to life in a netflix flick.

Old 12-18-2017, 06:57 AM

3,181 posts, read 3,115,173 times
Two words—Love It.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:26 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,254,124 times
I love this show - Claire Foy is such a good actress. She can display devastation without moving a muscle.

Phillip and Margaret are coming across badly here, and if that is really what the Queen had to put up with, my hat is off to her. I would have banished them both, lol.

Old 12-20-2017, 02:15 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,720,453 times
CF does a great job...I think she does the real Queen realistically....but did read she won't be back for season 3...

Phillip was a scoundrel, sorry she had to put up with him, on top of all her very serious duties. She's had quite the life but I'm not envious...feel sorry for her, really. Born with no choices in the matter of her future.

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I love this show - Claire Foy is such a good actress. She can display devastation without moving a muscle.

Phillip and Margaret are coming across badly here, and if that is really what the Queen had to put up with, my hat is off to her. I would have banished them both, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV