Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 10:30 AM

50,469 posts, read 24,054,533 times

Advertisements

If the program is at all accurate in regard to their daily life, it's a wonder any of the royals lived past 40. All they do is smoke constantly. And that is a habit I see constantly in many of the British dramas. I guess the Brits were smoking fiends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 06:36 PM

2,076 posts, read 1,595,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
If the program is at all accurate in regard to their daily life, it's a wonder any of the royals lived past 40. All they do is smoke constantly. And that is a habit I see constantly in many of the British dramas. I guess the Brits were smoking fiends.

I thought that the Queen didn't smoke, at least not in the show. (I don't know if she smokes in real life) My late mother smoked quite a bit and lived past 90.

Old 12-26-2017, 03:02 AM

977 posts, read 1,107,539 times
I am fascinated with this show. I enjoyed the first season ----not sure why the 2nd is a bit lacking for me. Perhaps it is moving a bit more slowly? I love to see the costumes, the props, sets, and the take on historical events. I am old enough to remember some of this, or to at least remember the adults in my life looking and acting a certain way. Claire Foy is doing a wonderful job.

Old 12-26-2017, 08:02 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,266,672 times
What an amazing show!!! I'm so going to miss Claire next season, she plays the part perfectly.

I loved the interaction between her and Jackie. It was sad to hear Jackie say those things about the queen but boy I loved how Elizabeth bounced back. The decision on the dance was such a highlight. Then meeting with Jackie at Windsor with all the guards made me laugh. She really put on the show.

The episode on Phillip and his background really fascinated me. I never knew much about him and was surprised about his royal ties. The school episode was heartbreaking. I wonder how different Charles would be now if he had not gone through that. I think he would still be a little off though. Something about him that has always bothered me.

I really loved this season!!!

Old 12-26-2017, 08:28 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,186,965 times
I google a lot during the show. Apparently it was actually the Queen Mother (Charles grandmother) that kept trying to get him to Eton as opposed to the other tougher places. She was the one that saw and collaborated on his interest in arts and less mans man sort of thing. I also read a comment that made a good point. Queen Elizabeth's first 10 years were brought up not thinking or knowing she would ever be queen but Charles was the next King from birth - so yes two entirely different childhood. Poor Charles, he endured so much and lost so much of his life and now isn't even going to ever be King!

Old 12-26-2017, 10:49 AM

2,076 posts, read 1,595,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I google a lot during the show. Apparently it was actually the Queen Mother (Charles grandmother) that kept trying to get him to Eton as opposed to the other tougher places. She was the one that saw and collaborated on his interest in arts and less mans man sort of thing. I also read a comment that made a good point. Queen Elizabeth's first 10 years were brought up not thinking or knowing she would ever be queen but Charles was the next King from birth - so yes two entirely different childhood. Poor Charles, he endured so much and lost so much of his life and now isn't even going to ever be King!
Charles will be king when his mother passes away; unless, of course, he predeceases her; which is unlikely.

I'm not sure if Elizabeth had the time to be a hands-on mother the way her own mother and (even more) Diana and now Kate have been; she was the future Queen during Charles' early years and then the actual Queen.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:57 AM

50,469 posts, read 24,054,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artangel View Post
I am fascinated with this show. I enjoyed the first season ----not sure why the 2nd is a bit lacking for me. Perhaps it is moving a bit more slowly? I love to see the costumes, the props, sets, and the take on historical events. I am old enough to remember some of this, or to at least remember the adults in my life looking and acting a certain way. Claire Foy is doing a wonderful job.
The episode I watched last evening was the first I was truly disappointed in -- where the Queen has a baby and Margaret becomes engaged to Snowden. Boring, boring, boring. Otherwise I've loved the series.

Old 12-26-2017, 03:26 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,025 posts, read 6,527,465 times
I liked S1 and was looking forward to S2. However, so far, S2 has my interest waning.......

Old 12-28-2017, 04:49 AM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health and peace!" (set 10 days ago)

43,459 posts, read 44,179,710 times
I just binge watched both seasons of The Crown. Although I found it interesting I did think certain parts of certain episodes were a bit boring.

Old 12-28-2017, 05:02 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,616,422 times
So, I just watched the Kennedy episode last night.

Was all that stuff true that occurred in the episode regarding Jackie Kennedy's snide remarks about Elizabeth? Her follow-up apology with what her excuses were? What about the doctor that traveled with the Kennedy's and kept them "alert" while they were travelling? Did all that really happen or was that some sort of filler/excitement for the show?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV