Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 11:26 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
I do like Marissa too. She wants to do so good and I do think they are harder on her b/c she is not the typical skinny female they are used to in the ball room. JMO.
Which burns me up, by the way. Why does this society worship skinny women? No offense to skinny women, but personally, I don't find the stick-figure look very attractive. And somehow this false ideal of having to be skinny is pushed on people, especially kids, through the media. And then they wonder why so many girls and women end up with eating disorders. Its sad...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 11:32 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,870,812 times
I agree MrKrabs. The professional dancers are obscenely skinny. If they look that skinny on tv, can you imagine what they look like in reality

I'm glad Marissa stayed. I don't know if she'll make it much further b/c I wonder if she has the fan base? I hope so. She's a breath of fresh air. I just don't like Tony....never have. I miss my Max!

Old 04-09-2008, 03:24 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
I think Marissa has a BIGGG fan base because of Broadway.....I think they are harder on her because of her awards on Broadway not because of size.....they expect more......

Old 04-10-2008, 06:51 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,870,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I think Marissa has a BIGGG fan base because of Broadway.....I think they are harder on her because of her awards on Broadway not because of size.....they expect more......
I think they use that as their excuse but I do believe it's her size. They are not used to larger women on the show and it does affect the way they look at her dancing. What does the Tony have to do with anything? It's not the same kind of dancing. Let her sing and she'd probably knock everyone of them out. But the dancing is totally different and you can't compare, nor can they. You may be right about her fan base but I know I had never heard of her. I'm going to see my first Broadway show ever in 3 weeks. Not everyone is aware of Broadway actors in the mainstream.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:28 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Wow, Marissa was awesome tonight! I agree with others, I don't care for Tony. Kristi Yamaguchi is so awesome! Is there anything that she can't do?

Old 04-14-2008, 08:13 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,648,036 times
I did not see the whole show, but priscilla presley should really think about suing the plastic surgeon!

Old 04-14-2008, 08:49 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
I agree MrKrabs. The professional dancers are obscenely skinny. If they look that skinny on tv, can you imagine what they look like in reality
They look skinny on TV but believe me they (the women at least) are very very fit (i.e., muscular and strong). I say Edyta and Jason a couple weeks ago near the dance studio where they practice and she is one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen.

My wife is a former Russian ballroom champion and believe me, you cannot be "skinny" to be good at these dances. You must be very fit. Have you seen Karina's arms, shoulders and back? Edyta's stomach? Those women are the epitome of fit - NOT AT ALL SKINNY.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
I did not see the whole show, but priscilla presley should really think about suing the plastic surgeon!
The plastic surgeon (the guy actually isnt a doctor) who ruined her face is in jail and will soon be deported. He went to jail for injecting auto parts lubricant into people saying "its better than botox".

I hope Priscilla or the Broadway dancing girl goes home soon. I would love to see the beautiful Edyta and Jason win this year.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:57 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
As a dancer myself, I have to say we are not "skinny". We are toned and muscular and we work our asses off to get that way. The dancing has nothing to do with whether you are thin or not. You either execute the proper technique or you don't - size has nothing to do with it.

BTW, I danced with Tony at Emerald Ball 2 years ago and he is awesome!!!

Old 04-15-2008, 12:30 AM

Hiya TwinkleToes. You are so right. I think ballroom dancers are more athletes than they are performers because in order to have correct technique you must be athletic. This is why the former wrestler gal Stacy Keibler did so well. She had strong legs and frame.

You want to see some great dancing, check out the Moiseyev Dance troupe next time they are in the states. AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING!!!

YouTube - reklama BALET IGORA MOISEYEVA

Last edited by LaoTzuMindFu; 04-15-2008 at 12:36 AM.. Reason: Added link to Moiseyev
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV