Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 10:09 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,167,066 times

Advertisements

How about any of the daytime talk shows? Springer is drunk white trash guests and an audience of college kids. Maury is nothing but sluts who can't remember which guy might be their baby daddy so they get a free DNA test and some TV time. Then there are shows like The View and The View 2:The Talk. Just bickering women and 3rd rate guests.

Remember Jenny Jones, Ricky Lake and Sally Jesse Raphael? Geraldo had a talk show for a while too. All the same, all trash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 12:15 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Murder She Wrote demanded that viewers embrace an incredibly absurd premise....that this one tiny town in Maine has a homicide rate of around 50 %....the other 50% being the killers. Further, despite the weekly slaughter, the same inept police personnel remained in their jobs, even though they always required the intervention of an elderly mystery writer to solve the crime for them.

The only break Cabot Cove ever got was when Ms. Fletcher was traveling. The murderers would politely wait for her return before resuming their misdeeds. However, Cabot Cove's good fortune would be misfortune for those at Ms. Fletcher's destination, because she would no sooner arrive, than someone in her orbit would be killed. Sometimes she didn't even have to arrive, the murder would take place aboard whatever means of transportation she was using. All of these road crimes would also baffle the local law, again necessitating Fletcher doing their job for them.
This synopsis is hilarious. I always thought this show was stupid, but now I'm glad it was on just so all these years later I could read this post.

Mr. Ed has to get my vote as one of the dumbest shows ever. Although Bewitched, Gilligan's Island and I Dream of Jeannie are a close second. Man, the 60s was full of stupid television.

Old 11-12-2017, 02:12 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
It didn't get better after the 60s because my vote for dumbest show ever is Mork and Mindy. (retch) Especially their "baby." OMG.

Old 11-12-2017, 03:21 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,672,436 times
Land of the Giants - we use to watch this show as kids, but felt they always had so many dilemmas and felt sorry for them, usually couldn't watch the entire show.

Last edited by 70's Music Girl; 11-12-2017 at 03:52 AM..

Old 11-12-2017, 05:25 AM

939 posts, read 505,962 times
Sixties were terrible; I make fun of the 70's for music, at least more and more as the decade went on, but the television was much better than the crap beforehand. As much as I love the 80's, most of the sitcoms I loved, I look back and think wow, "this really is cheesy", while a lot of the 70's were in fact better.

Old 11-12-2017, 05:31 AM

939 posts, read 505,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
How about any of the daytime talk shows? Springer is drunk white trash guests and an audience of college kids. Maury is nothing but sluts who can't remember which guy might be their baby daddy so they get a free DNA test and some TV time. Then there are shows like The View and The View 2:The Talk. Just bickering women and 3rd rate guests.

Remember Jenny Jones, Ricky Lake and Sally Jesse Raphael? Geraldo had a talk show for a while too. All the same, all trash.
Already brought it up. If people watch those shows, or worse, actually travel and buy tickets (gasp!) to see it live, its time for a serious reevaluation of your priorities in life. "the View" hosts actually believed on episode that women's suffrage was about physical abuse. They went on talking and not having any idea as they embarrassed themselves for five plus minutes. The other day I was flipping the dial while I was home sick. Who the hell is Wendy Williams? Sitting in a chair with no one else on the set, making wise cracks about celebrities, none in the least bit funny. Never mind that I don't give one lick about what some celebrity singer announced during a selfie while getting out of his Camaro. Am I suppose to even know who the hell Wendy Williams is?

Old 11-12-2017, 07:04 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
99 percent of TV is stupid - but that doesn't mean it's not entertaining.

Ha! The carrot people were one of the show's highlights.

If that were Battlestar Galactica, Dr. Smith would have been shoved into an airlock and then sucked into space on the first episode.
True. So much of TV is stupid. I liked some of the stupid shows--Mr Ed is actually funny, the dialogue was funny (to my warped sense of humor I guess?). Gilligan's Island, some of the episodes were ok, Bewitched I liked cuz of E. Montgomery. I just liked whatever she was in.

Father Knows Best, barf, I Dream of Jeannie, that "Yes Master" stuff, whoa, pathetic. How about the Flying Nun? Talk about over the edge. Dennis the Menace. That hair stuck up on his head w/ what kind of hair gel back then?! Lol.

Old 11-12-2017, 07:31 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post

The early 60's TV shows were much better, like Perry Mason, T zone, Alfred Hitchcock, and detective shows like Peter Gunn, Untouchables, lots of good detective shows. Combat was a totally awesome show that started working for me when I outgrew Hogan's Heros. That was a great show.

I thought that the best show of the sixties was "The Defenders." I've seen an episode that never aired because the theme was abortion..and it was discussed frankly. The show seemed to be aimed at people with three digit IQs, not a claim that most of the shows of that era could make.

Quote:
I think The Incredible Hulk had the potential to be just another dumb TV show, were it not for the talents of Bill Bixby, he really played that off well

Bixby was underrated, as was William Windom who seemed to guest star on every series that existed while he was alive.

Old 11-12-2017, 07:35 AM

3,110 posts, read 1,987,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo123 View Post
How about "My mother the car". I think Jerry Van Dyke was the star of that one (could be wrong). Fortunately I was too young to remember much about that show, other than it was really stupid
Not too long ago, I watched a few episodes of this show on Antenna TV... and the thought that came across my mind was that the people who wrote this show 'had' to have been high on something.

Old 11-12-2017, 07:48 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Sixties were terrible; I make fun of the 70's for music, at least more and more as the decade went on, but the television was much better than the crap beforehand. As much as I love the 80's, most of the sitcoms I loved, I look back and think wow, "this really is cheesy", while a lot of the 70's were in fact better.
Now the show you named yourself after I remember as being excellent. But then, I haven't actually seen an episode of Miami Vice for years. I wonder how it holds up.

Speaking of Bill Bixby and bad 60s television, who can forget My Favorite Martian?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
It didn't get better after the 60s because my vote for dumbest show ever is Mork and Mindy. (retch) Especially their "baby." OMG.
True enough. The 70s gave us Charlie's Angels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV