Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 09:29 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times

Advertisements

What are some of the dumbest TV shows you've watched from the past? Should have left in the past.

For me, "Diagnoses Murder" was one of the dumbest.

Doctor Sloan (Dick Van Dyke) was not only a physician, but a surgeon (once in a while I remember him operating) and investigator (homicides), alongside his son. Amazing how he got the time! And, the credentials! It has to be one of the dumbest shows ever on TV.

Alf--dumb.

Sure there are tons more, but these are the ones that come to mind right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 03:12 PM

166 posts, read 313,588 times
How about "My mother the car". I think Jerry Van Dyke was the star of that one (could be wrong). Fortunately I was too young to remember much about that show, other than it was really stupid

Old 11-09-2017, 03:25 PM

2,889 posts, read 2,137,886 times
well, surgeons are physicians so that's not so odd is it?

Old 11-09-2017, 03:32 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,636,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
What are some of the dumbest TV shows you've watched from the past? Should have left in the past.

For me, "Diagnoses Murder" was one of the dumbest.

Doctor Sloan (Dick Van Dyke) was not only a physician, but a surgeon (once in a while I remember him operating) and investigator (homicides), alongside his son. Amazing how he got the time! And, the credentials! It has to be one of the dumbest shows ever on TV.

Alf--dumb.

Sure there are tons more, but these are the ones that come to mind right now.
What was odd about it? He was Chief of Surgery and his son was a police lieutenant. Dr. Sloan was a police consultant as well. There are actually physicians that do this in the real world.

Old 11-09-2017, 05:08 PM

8,067 posts, read 4,741,997 times
Diagnosis Murder was similar to Matlock (and to a lesser extent, Murder, She Wrote) in its premise and in its execution. Dick Van Dyke, like Matlock's Andy Griffith and MSW's Angela Lansbury, was/is an icon of TV and films, and some producers decided to develop a crime/mystery show around him, trading on his high visibility among older viewers. I've only seen a few episodes of Diagnosis, but it seemed much like a lot of "formula" shows that are not especially inspired, but not awful or "stupid", either.

I'd say 'concept' shows like Manimal or Cop Rock would be more likely to be branded "stupid" simply because there was nothing like them in TV (and for good reason) and people did not stick around to watch them. There was a particularly memorable (not in a good way) show on NBC in the mid-1980s called Mr. Smith which featured a talking orangutan in the title role. "Stupid" is so open to interpretation that I guess it means little, but I guess when people vote with the remote (that is, tune to something else) it's not a vote of confidence.

Old 11-09-2017, 05:08 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,850,609 times
Small Wonder was really dumb. That town had to be full of idiots for them to believe she was a real girl. No one questions why she wore the same outfit every day and spoke like a robot.

Old 11-09-2017, 05:23 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
I think that Caveman was he worst out of tons or really bad shows. 2005, 07 or 08. Based on a bad GEICO commercial

Old 11-09-2017, 05:29 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Murder She Wrote demanded that viewers embrace an incredibly absurd premise....that this one tiny town in Maine has a homicide rate of around 50 %....the other 50% being the killers. Further, despite the weekly slaughter, the same inept police personnel remained in their jobs, even though they always required the intervention of an elderly mystery writer to solve the crime for them.

The only break Cabot Cove ever got was when Ms. Fletcher was traveling. The murderers would politely wait for her return before resuming their misdeeds. However, Cabot Cove's good fortune would be misfortune for those at Ms. Fletcher's destination, because she would no sooner arrive, than someone in her orbit would be killed. Sometimes she didn't even have to arrive, the murder would take place aboard whatever means of transportation she was using. All of these road crimes would also baffle the local law, again necessitating Fletcher doing their job for them.

Old 11-09-2017, 05:39 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,122,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo123 View Post
How about "My mother the car". I think Jerry Van Dyke was the star of that one (could be wrong). Fortunately I was too young to remember much about that show, other than it was really stupid
I had a feeling someone would mention this right off the bat . When I was a kid and watched it.. I loved it! Haven't seen an episode since so I'm sure I would hate it as an adult but as a kid.. it was the bomb (or.. as we said back then.. boss) to have a talking car. Which now that I think about it... may have led to the premise for Herbie the Love Bug.

Old 11-09-2017, 05:45 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,636,617 times
I agree with:
Small Wonder
The Cavemen
Murder She Wrote - Mrs. Fletcher had thousands of nieces and nephews too. I would be afraid to be related to her or a friend of hers because I would either be murdered if a friend, or accused of murder if a relative. I kept waiting for someone the conk her over the head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV