Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 01:08 PM

510 posts, read 448,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
All in the Family

First show to deal with feminists ie Maude, first in race relations. For those of you unfamiliar...a married couple's lives are shown with the man, Archie, being the WORST bigot imaginable... every sarcastic thing he said made you cringe. But each show has him being shown up for what he is and why.

One of the best episodes: a black man gives the bigot a very unexpected kiss...Archie's facial expressions were priceless. It got laughs that seemed to last 5 minutes...
It was entertainer, Sammy Davis, Jr. who kissed Archie. It was a fabulous show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 01:13 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,562,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
The thing about All in the Family is that Archie isn't really a hater. He's just heard these things all his life. And in a very real way, Mike is just as much saying what he hears in his filter. If you weren't there you may not understand that the sixties put everyone in their labeled corner, and people saw the label first. It was a huge clash of changing culture and it did have the power to tear apart families. I met my aunts and uncles in Dad's family when I was five, and we took a trip to meet his family in Alabama. But the plan was to visit them more often. However, my uncles were likely to say things my dad would not tolerate, and there was no lets agree to disagree, and later in the decade some of his family came to California to visit. Many of their kids ended up in aerospace in California too, like Dad.

What All in the Family did was encourage people to really think about the things they said, and what the words mean, and perhaps ask if they should. It also showed just how much was learned and just repeated, and with that image changed so are the words. And that we all have our assumptions and all could do a lot better to just *listen* to each other. Maybe you don't change minds, but nothing ever gets better if all you see is a parody of an image, and not another human being with different beliefs. The first step is to see another human, even if you don't see through the same mirror.

When my dad's sibilings and kids and family came out to visit, almost all of the kids and many of his brothers also working in tech jobs and especially aerospace, the buttons were gone and we had a very nice visit. It's too bad that line could not have been crossed earlier.
I thought the acting, particularly of Archie and Meathead was really convincing. Some of their arguments were so articulate that it had me believing they really were completely at odds. The discussions were ahead of their time for TV back then. I will admit that I always wondered why Archie didn't tell Meathead to shove it and move out when he kept jawing at Archie about one thing or another while living under his roof for free. LOL.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:17 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
I thought the acting, particularly of Archie and Meathead was really convincing. Some of their arguments were so articulate that it had me believing they really were completely at odds. The discussions were ahead of their time for TV back then. I will admit that I always wondered why Archie didn't tell Meathead to shove it and move out when he kept jawing at Archie about one thing or another while living under his roof for free. LOL.
Carrol O'Conner was a good actor, and in real life very left wing. The fact that he could pull of the right wing, lovable bigot thing showed how could of an actor he was. Rob Reiner was just being himself. He deserved Archie's nickname. "Meathead - Dead from the head up!"

Old 01-11-2018, 02:54 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
This is a pretty obscure one, but for some reason, the 1960s British show The Prisoner, written by and starring Patrick McGoohan, comes to mind. Very big brother and dark show that took a look at many contemporary societal issues. A good precursor to many popular Sci Fi shows that came along many decades later.
This one is considered a classic in science fiction film. Its one you can watch multiple times, and find new things which were missed the last five times. Its one of the best British science fiction productions and does nothing but get more relavent. The hotel complex where its was shot is still a place which draws tourists to see it in person.

There is a book as well. It was always available in Sf bookstores and at cons. There is also a sequal not filmed, which is considered very valuable since it is much more rare. But the most notable thing is the first two words.....

Which if your curious feel free to message me.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:13 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
I think Archie was used to them, and while he had lots of 'discussion' he was used to it and knew he'd miss them. If he didn't have Mike around he wouldn't have had anyone to argue with. And I think Mike rather liked it to. I'd guess when Mike and Gloria moved out, they both missed things for a while.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:49 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,809,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I think Archie was used to them, and while he had lots of 'discussion' he was used to it and knew he'd miss them. If he didn't have Mike around he wouldn't have had anyone to argue with. And I think Mike rather liked it to. I'd guess when Mike and Gloria moved out, they both missed things for a while.
After Rob Reiner and Sally Struthers left, “All In the Family” was not as good.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:18 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
After Rob Reiner and Sally Struthers left, “All In the Family” was not as good.

The tv show Maude was a spinoff of All in the Family. She had a very strong personality and dwarfed her husband and everyone else with her size but mostly her overbearing ways.

Still, I think she was one of the first women to appear on tv as very assertive, competent, confident.

Then came Murphy Brown.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:38 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I loved The Prisoner. There was absolutely nothing else like it on television. Patrick McGoohan was a big teenage crush of mine.

The Prisoner (TV Series 1967

Old 01-11-2018, 05:41 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,861,550 times
Golden Girls, for portraying older women as something other than caricature grandmas

Babylon 5, for the ongoing story arc format that's since been adopted by pretty much every other sci-fi/fantasy genre show (as opposed to doing mostly stand-alone episodes)

Old 01-11-2018, 05:43 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
The tv show Maude was a spinoff of All in the Family. She had a very strong personality and dwarfed her husband and everyone else with her size but mostly her overbearing ways.

Still, I think she was one of the first women to appear on tv as very assertive, competent, confident.

Then came Murphy Brown.
Before Murphy Brown, there was One Day At a Time with Bonnie Franklin. Not the greatest writing, but had the same theme of a strong independent woman and she was also a single mom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV