Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2018, 03:38 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Ivar "the impotent", I doubt it.
In real life, Ivar the Boneless had at least one child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 05:16 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
Actually it makes perfect sense...Ivar has weakened both Harald and Lagatha's armies with the hopes that either one has been killed. He and his men are safe. He then can go in and pretty much wipe them both out now after this battle. They are very fatigued and he's fresh as a daisy! Let's just see what next week brings before you make fun of other people's reasoning. Ivar (and the writers) are smarter than you are giving them credit for.
I don't recall seeing any division of Ivar supporters going off with him and Harald supporters left to fight the battle. Ivar said that he would take a third of the army to protect the ships, nothing was said about which third. The only specific provision Ivar made was to bring Astrid along. You have invented a fact not in evidence to support your theory.

And none of your explanation addresses the other flaws in the episode. The having Ivar change his mind twice was a waste of air time, it accomplished nothing but pointless delay, we were served a helping of filler. Having Harald's force supposedly surprised by the flank attacks makes no sense because Lagertha's and Bjon's forces were standing there in full view.

Last edited by Grandstander; 01-13-2018 at 05:24 PM..

Old 01-13-2018, 08:32 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,471,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I don't recall seeing any division of Ivar supporters going off with him and Harald supporters left to fight the battle. Ivar said that he would take a third of the army to protect the ships, nothing was said about which third. The only specific provision Ivar made was to bring Astrid along. You have invented a fact not in evidence to support your theory.

And none of your explanation addresses the other flaws in the episode. The having Ivar change his mind twice was a waste of air time, it accomplished nothing but pointless delay, we were served a helping of filler. Having Harald's force supposedly surprised by the flank attacks makes no sense because Lagertha's and Bjon's forces were standing there in full view.
If you notice the flags they were carrying it was all Harald's forces that went into battle. Most of Ivar's went with him and Hvitserk. There was some killed by the Sami but most of his warriors survived.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:10 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
In real life, Ivar the Boneless had at least one child.
Actually, that depends on what sources you read. A few say he did.. more say he didn't. So it's difficult to say for sure.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:22 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
If you notice the flags they were carrying it was all Harald's forces that went into battle. Most of Ivar's went with him and Hvitserk. There was some killed by the Sami but most of his warriors survived.
If Ivar was really planning what you claim, why didn't he just load up his followers and sail away? That would have left Harald's survivors trapped with their backs to the water. The Lagertha/Bjorn army could finish them off, and would lose some more of their own warriors while doing so. That leaves Ivar only having to face a further reduced Lag/Bj force. Instead he waits for Harald to return and the two of them seem fine with one another.

Don't take it from me, here is a lengthy article dissecting the episode's shortcomings. This fellow seems to share a number of my complaints, such as:
Quote:
Finally, we need to talk about Ivar again. I'm just completely confused as to why he left the battle. Yes, he was going to go protect the ships, but why was he going? Why not send men back under the command of some lieutenant. Didn't he want to kill Lagertha with every ounce of his being? Now he's just going to skip the battle entirely? I know he's a wild card (see the above Peace Talks section) but this is too much.

Essentially staying out of harms way and not taking an opportunity to be part of the fight, leaving that to Harald and Hvitserk, doesn't make any sense for Ivar's character---the most bloodthirsty of Ragnar's sons. He wanted Heahmund to fight beside him, also, but just leaves him to fight while he runs off to the ships. Ivar isn't a coward, and there's just no conceivable reason for this move other than...yeah, you guessed it: Bad writing.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai.../#b5efe6759076

Old 01-14-2018, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Actually, that depends on what sources you read. A few say he did.. more say he didn't. So it's difficult to say for sure.
There is speculation he is one and the same as Imar who was given the title "King of the Norsemen of all Ireland and Britain" in contemporary annals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%8Dmar

Old 01-14-2018, 06:38 AM

Quote:
If Ivar was really planning what you claim, why didn't he just load up his followers and sail away? That would have left Harald's survivors trapped with their backs to the water. The Lagertha/Bjorn army could finish them off, and would lose some more of their own warriors while doing so. That leaves Ivar only having to face a further reduced Lag/Bj force. Instead he waits for Harald to return and the two of them seem fine with one another.

Don't take it from me, here is a lengthy article dissecting the episode's shortcomings. This fellow seems to share a number of my complaints, such as:

There are definitely odd things that have been written into Vikings and it does stray a bit from history. It is just my opinion that it was planned by Ivar. He just does the unexpected so it will be interesting to see how it plays out in the next episode.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:29 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,250,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Ivar "the impotent", I doubt it.
Aside from the fact that I was making a joke, and aside from the fact that Ivar being impotent is merely one theory that lacks any wide spread acceptance, even if he was impotent that doesn't equate to asexual.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:04 AM

272 posts, read 184,274 times
Quote:

There will be another battle. No doubt and bigger IMO. Ivar would have been struck to nothing had he had stayed.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:25 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
Ivar should have been killed earlier. I think the bad writing was earlier, when Ivar sat there screaming like an idiot, while the enemy was standing there with arrows nocked and did not loose them. The writers are running out of excuses as to how he can survive a battle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV