U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 12-22-2017, 05:12 PM
 
5,799 posts, read 4,824,601 times
Reputation: 17499

Advertisements

Well, she's gone! Unless she hangs on in Last Chance Kitchen (which I don't watch.) I knew when they showed her talking to her kid on the phone that she was going to be booted this episode.

And why do food trucks seem to always seem to have such technical problems? I rarely buy anything from one because I'm so uneasy about food temps and cleanliness and such.

I think Bruce should have gone - but mainly because I always enjoy it when a "top dog" gets taken down a peg. The one who left seems sweet. And I understood what he meant about his salad - he wanted a hot portion with a cold portion mixed together at the last minute. Sounds yummy to me. Most of the rest of what was served in all of the food trucks seemed pretty greasy and heavy to me. When one of the college kids said they were hoping for a smoothie, I said yes! And wanted a smoothie.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-22-2017, 08:32 PM
 
Location: Upstate NY
30,520 posts, read 9,123,268 times
Reputation: 29086
I couldn't believe that omelet fiasco, and her trying to "fold" pieces of that underdone mess in her hand. I thought I was watching Worst Cooks in America.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2017, 08:10 AM
 
Location: La Costa, California
860 posts, read 441,657 times
Reputation: 1863
Quote:
A restaurant kitchen is really more of a dictatorship, even though Tom etal love to say that cooking is a collaborative effort. So all those chefs used to being dictators have to tone down their egos to survive these team challenges.
I disagree with this to the extent that most all jobs have a boss, but are also a collaborative effort. And in every job I've ever had you have your select few who don't work well with others.

I work in construction as a foreman and I see all the time how a highly skilled bricklayer can be a detriment to the job if he or she is a "prima donna"

I usually root against the Chefs who say they hate team challenges
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2017, 05:24 PM
 
5,799 posts, read 4,824,601 times
Reputation: 17499
I think of a Chef in a restaurant kitchen more as a conductor (like with an orchestra performing professionally) than as a boss. They have to be followed very specifically, which isn't the case for most jobs.

I could easily be wrong, though, as I've never worked in a fancy restaurant kitchen - just a pie shop!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2017, 08:59 AM
 
2,493 posts, read 1,255,760 times
Reputation: 2914
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Well, she's gone! Unless she hangs on in Last Chance Kitchen (which I don't watch.) I knew when they showed her talking to her kid on the phone that she was going to be booted this episode.

And why do food trucks seem to always seem to have such technical problems? I rarely buy anything from one because I'm so uneasy about food temps and cleanliness and such.

I think Bruce should have gone - but mainly because I always enjoy it when a "top dog" gets taken down a peg. The one who left seems sweet. And I understood what he meant about his salad - he wanted a hot portion with a cold portion mixed together at the last minute. Sounds yummy to me. Most of the rest of what was served in all of the food trucks seemed pretty greasy and heavy to me. When one of the college kids said they were hoping for a smoothie, I said yes! And wanted a smoothie.
You thinking talking to her son would inspire but it really unraveled her. Seeing her fall apart piece by piece the more she went on was so confusing. I was thinking "pull yourself together GIRL!" but alas that did not happen.

Yeah on those food trucks, did the show not test the equipment before handing it over to them? Seemed odd that so much equipment was breaking down.

That pork sandwich looked just awful. My arteries were clogging up just looking at it!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2017, 09:55 AM
 
5,799 posts, read 4,824,601 times
Reputation: 17499
I'd like to learn more about that cauliflower pizza crust. It looked yummy and obviously the kids loved it, but surely it has to have some kind of binding fat. Just butter and flour? Cheese? I know I could look it up but am too lazy at the moment.

And it was interesting what a challenge it was for some of the chefs to cook from their ethnic heritage. How could anyone not know their own background? It was nice to see the variety shown, from Hungarian to Vietnamese (Tu needs to start spicing things up!) to Pakistani to Southern American.

The gumbo looked so much thicker than the kind my Louisiana relatives make. I don't think I'd like it that thick.

I personally hate fried chicken, so wonder what all the fuss was about the winner's dish. A good biscuit is priceless, though!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2017, 11:41 AM
 
Location: North State (California)
28,463 posts, read 2,216,819 times
Reputation: 9941
I hope mustache Joe is next to go, he is too arrogant. First time watching Top Chef for me, but I found it while browsing my On Demand & I do like cooking shows. I can't belive how inept they were with the omelettes.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2017, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Denver area
21,145 posts, read 22,139,461 times
Reputation: 35604
Thus far I'm disappointed with the apparent talent of chefs and level of cookery. Some seasons seem to have a strong cast. This does not appear to be the case this season, which is too bad since I was really looking forward to it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2017, 01:18 PM
 
27,573 posts, read 45,029,595 times
Reputation: 14086
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Thus far I'm disappointed with the apparent talent of chefs and level of cookery. Some seasons seem to have a strong cast. This does not appear to be the case this season, which is too bad since I was really looking forward to it.
We have seen very little creativity and mainly chefs cooking what they do in their own restaurants
The cauliflower pizza crust was inventive but for the most part the ones who tried creative fare failed...

I agree this looks like a weaker cast although there are plenty of people with credentials...
Bruce being one--
How he could choose a dish he should know how to execute and turn out something so poorly received is just contradiction in terms

Plenty of them made mistakes in simple things -- like salt/acid--
You would think they would be beyond that at that stage in their careers...

This year doesn't even seem to offer any drama with personality clashes either
No Marcel-types
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2017, 02:21 PM
 
Location: Frisco, TX
1,079 posts, read 1,161,717 times
Reputation: 1275
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post

And it was interesting what a challenge it was for some of the chefs to cook from their ethnic heritage. How could anyone not know their own background? It was nice to see the variety shown, from Hungarian to Vietnamese (Tu needs to start spicing things up!) to Pakistani to Southern American.
Both sides of my family have been in the US since the 1700s, so that "heritage" is very far removed. I don't know what I would've cooked if I was on the show.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top