Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 06:16 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The music was uninteresting.
Where are Rogers and Hammerstein when we need them?

The movie is wonderful. Sometimes things really can't be improved.
They weren’t trying to improve the movie. This was the stage show brought to TV that was just meant to show a different version.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 07:23 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
I watched it with family.
We all loved it!

If any show "needed" to be a musical, this was it.
I liked it much better than the original movie and will probably buy the DVD when it is released.

Old 12-18-2017, 07:24 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Dead, they're both dead.

The duo who wrote the songs for a Christmas Story have won a golden globe, Tony, and Oscar. They also have two Grammy nominations and another golden globe nomination for the upcoming awards season. Their musical, Dear Evan Hansen won Best Musical at the 2017 Tony's, and won a total of 6 out of the 9 awards it was nominated for. They may not be as great as you consider Roger and Hammerstein, but they're certaintly not creating what most would consider "uninteresting" music.

Maybe try expanding your theater knowledge past the 1950s and you'll see there's a lot of great stuff out there.

Old 12-18-2017, 07:43 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,415,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post

The duo who wrote the songs for a Christmas Story have won a golden globe, Tony, and Oscar. They also have two Grammy nominations and another golden globe nomination for the upcoming awards season. Their musical, Dear Evan Hansen won Best Musical at the 2017 Tony's, and won a total of 6 out of the 9 awards it was nominated for. They may not be as great as you consider Roger and Hammerstein, but they're certaintly not creating what most would consider "uninteresting" music.
I had no idea that Pasek & Paul did the songs, but then I didn't even know there was a musical stage version of this until last night. Talented young guys!

Old 12-18-2017, 10:21 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
If any show "needed" to be a musical, this was it.
I liked it much better than the original movie and will probably buy the DVD when it is released.
As soon as it ended last night, I was looking to see when the encore showing would be. I think Grease Live was put on Netflix fairly quickly, so hopefully the same is true of this.

Maybe Fox can compete with TBS and do 24 hours of A Christmas Story Live on Christmas

Old 12-21-2017, 09:31 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
Gosh I couldn't make it past the first commercial. I did like Matthew Broderick commentary, but that kid playing Ralphie was horrible. I like musicals too, thought Grease live was great.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:54 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,381 times
I loved it. Glad to see I wasn't the only one.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:12 PM

406 posts, read 623,807 times
I turned it on at the end to see the Chinese restaurant scene. Not surprisingly it was tweaked to be politically correct and there is even a line referencing the change from the original version (singing Christmas carols). Somebody wishes "Happy Holidays" to our hero family. They are not the only patrons in the new version for those who did not see it.

Does someone think that eventually the original will be dubbed over to be less stereotypical? For instance, instead of the singers mispronouncing the lyrics, that might be replaced with an obvious mistake like "Santa Claus is coming to town in a one-horse open sleigh" to make it funny.

I think there is a possibility.

Last edited by azmemories; 12-27-2017 at 01:29 PM..

Old 12-27-2017, 03:15 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmemories View Post
I turned it on at the end to see the Chinese restaurant scene. Not surprisingly it was tweaked to be politically correct and there is even a line referencing the change from the original version (singing Christmas carols). Somebody wishes "Happy Holidays" to our hero family. They are not the only patrons in the new version for those who did not see it.

Does someone think that eventually the original will be dubbed over to be less stereotypical? For instance, instead of the singers mispronouncing the lyrics, that might be replaced with an obvious mistake like "Santa Claus is coming to town in a one-horse open sleigh" to make it funny.

I think there is a possibility.
I loved the change. I thought it was hilarious when the dad said something along the lines of "Woah, I wasn't expecting that." A cappella groups are kind of trendy right now. I felt like I couldnt turn on NBC over the past month without seeing Pentatonix popping up. It was a modern update that fit with what's trendy now. And yes, I know A Christmas Story takes place in the 40s, and not modern times. Plus I prefer when things aren't just a carbon copy of the original. Its okay to change things up.

And just because they made a few changes to the stage version, I don't see why that means they have to make changes to the original movie. There are lots of stage productions based on movies. Disney does it all the time. The Aladdin and Tarzan Broadway productions especially have different story lines then the animated movies. That doesnt mean Disney is going to go back and redo the the movies. Its just a different take on a classic story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV