Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 04:49 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post
No, they haven't. And arrogantly stating as such doesn't make it true.
Says the poster who previously "arrogantly stated" that they haven't. It seems that you feel that you can make unilateral edicts but other folks cannot. That's not discussion. If you don't want to have your pronouncements responded to with similarly "arrogantly stated" pronouncements, then don't make "arrogantly stated" pronouncements yourself. Poster will, and should, respond to your messages in the manner and tone that you put your messages forward.

Quote:
LOL, you were there? So was I.
Yet you deny the discussions that went on. Interestingly selective memory you've got there.

Quote:
Too bad all of this "information" contradicted your own statement about lack of "originality":
Clearly you didn't read what I wrote for understanding. From reading your replies to others, it seems that that unwillingness of yours to engage the discussion with integrity is not limited to your interactions with me. So please do just continue posting "at" the thread and others will continue posting "at" you, since it appears that that's the mode of interaction that you're interested in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 10:44 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
They aren't the first to take a movie and make it into a TV show. WB's Buffy the Vampire Slayer was a TV show based on a movie, and it ended up being a hit.

The big thing is that there seems to be a war on Netflix. Comcast buys out NBC and Time Warner, Disney is now buying out Fox, and both of those companies have deals with Hulu. CBS has decided to try and start their own streaming services. All of these companies are now pulling their deals from Netflix and striking deals with Hulu. It's sad to see a small company became big by trying something new, and now the bigger companies use their money and connections to attack the smaller company with mergers and licensing deals.
Good point about Buffy.

I don't see it so much as a war as a maturing of the market. Netflix filled a void and was populated by independent outlets and Hollywood alike. It was a testing ground. Once people figured out they could handle their own distribution they decided to create their own platforms. It isn't personal. It is business.

Hulu was there early on and primarily represented the interests of the big five (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, CW). CBS decided to be progressive and charge money for their own streaming service. A lot of people think it is just CBS, but it is anything CBS may have had a hand in producing, as well as stuff that CBS just owns the rights to. What CBS did is no different than what Sony did when they created Crackle.

CBS is keeping their new content for themselves and siphoning stuff they don't care about anymore to Hulu. Young Sheldon and Big Bang Theory are on CBS. Old Criminal Minds episodes you might find on Hulu.

The networks also have platforms for different audiences. Paying members can get stuff off of Hulu, non paying members can go to the networks own platform. In some cases, such as with FreeForm, you can get the same shows on both Hulu and the ABC website/app/etc. Hulu is basically a way to get an episode of a show earlier than you would get it elsewhere. Like I can see the latest episode of Chicago PD on Hulu but I might have to wait a few weeks to get that same episode directly from NBC.

Even YouTube is in on the act.

Netflix has a lot of their own content now and quite honestly, no longer needs to do deals with other companies that have their own platforms. Some of that content is good, a lot of it is not, but the same applies to Hulu and everyone else. I don't think it was ever Netflix's intention to just distribute everyone else's content.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV