Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 01:41 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurValentine View Post
Let's be honest, the quality or more precisely the product Hollywood creates has been steadily declining for decades. Compare the films recently nominated for Best Picture to the past. I saw a recent list: of the Top 25 grossing films of 2017 only Dunkirk wasn't a remake or sequel. Hollywood is stale. Now, not only are they creating a subpar product but also stuffing it with their ideological propaganda. Is the backlash difficult to relate with?
You confusing nominated films with highest grossing films. How many of the films nominated in the Best Motion Picture categories last night were remakes or sequels? None. It's not that Hollywood is creating subpar product. We have to start placing some of the blame on the movie going public who aren't interested in well developed thought provoking films. They want the same regurgitated fluff that they're comfortable with.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
For the two actors, I have to wonder if they just 'didn't get the memo'. I don't think they deliberately didn't wear black, but it was a choice to wear whatever they wanted. The 3rd woman was the president of HFPA and she had a good reason to not wear black.

Celebrities Who Didn't Wear Black to 2018 Golden Globes - 2018 Golden Globes Dresses
Blanca Blanco definitely knew everyone would be wearing black. She chose to wear red. And frankly, I have to give her credit for being pretty smart. What's the saying? No such thing as bad press? People are talking about her today who probably had no clue who she was 24 hours ago.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:49 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
She didn't use the word pervert but she talked about the women who couldn't afford to speak up bc they had kids and bills, etc.
The only thing I remember her saying about black people was the Sidney Poitier story and the lady who was raped. None of that is racist in the least.
It's no different than if seeing Marlon Brando inspired you or if Freddie Prinze Sr inspired a Puerto Rican kid. She's simply telling her story.

Give me a very large break. "Except for this...except for that..." Yeah, hers was a POLITICAL speech, when she should have offered gracious thanks.

Face it, your buddy is a racist, too. And she's traveling first class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurValentine View Post
I listened to her speech, my only issue was stating "white men" when she was sharing that story. Not sure why she had to go racial.
It was relevant to the story. Why else would it have gone to the NAACP and Rosa Parks?

20,048 posts, read 18,305,849 times
It will be interesting when Kirk Douglas passes away. Maybe then the Natalie Wood mystery/rumors concerning him will be solved.

Hollywood is synonymous with hypocrisy. That's been the case since the very beginning of the machine.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:09 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,603,681 times
Good gracious, this is the ENTERTAINMENT AND ARTS forum, can we just talk about the movies and shows and celebrities that won/lost last night? Go have a thread in Current Events if you want to be unpleasant.

- I was really shocked that 3 Billboards won best drama. It didn't get the best reviews of the year at all. I was really expecting The Shape of Water or Dunkirk to win.

- And I really expected Sally Hawkins to win best dramatic actress. I love Frances McDormand, but she's beginning to play some version of herself in every film. It's an enjoyable self, but not really transformative acting.

- And it was so cool to see Doug Jones out of the make up he usually wears. Now HE's a transformative actor.

- Did it bother anyone else that Saoirse Ronan forgot to thank Laurie Metcalf? I was so hoping that Laurie would win, because then she'd only be lacking a Grammy in an EGOT.

- Where was Jordan Peele and the rest of the cast of Get Out? Daniel Kaluuya looked like he was all by himself at his table, and so uncomfortable! It was odd that this film was nominated in the comedy category, though.

- I thought James Franco was very mean not to let Tommy Wiseau speak. He stole the man's life to make money from it - at least he should have let him speak for a minute at the Globes. At least Tonya Harding got to wave.

- Elizabeth Moss's dress made me feel very fashionable - I had the exact same dress for fancy parties back in the late 1980s. Black is a beautiful color for people of various complexions and shapes, so I enjoyed looking at the various versions of The Black Dress.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:24 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
S. Ronan forgot Laurie! I did not notice...
they are like connected at the hip...we often forget people that we are so amazingly close to...in a silly speech.
I wouldn't be surprised to find out they became lovers, for Pete's sake,
that"s how close they are! So that may be why...simple over sight.
I always forget my lesbian lovers in acceptance speeches...

Old 01-08-2018, 02:34 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Good gracious, this is the ENTERTAINMENT AND ARTS forum, can we just talk about the movies and shows and celebrities that won/lost last night? Go have a thread in Current Events if you want to be unpleasant.

- I was really shocked that 3 Billboards won best drama. It didn't get the best reviews of the year at all. I was really expecting The Shape of Water or Dunkirk to win.

- And I really expected Sally Hawkins to win best dramatic actress. I love Frances McDormand, but she's beginning to play some version of herself in every film. It's an enjoyable self, but not really transformative acting.

- And it was so cool to see Doug Jones out of the make up he usually wears. Now HE's a transformative actor.

- Did it bother anyone else that Saoirse Ronan forgot to thank Laurie Metcalf? I was so hoping that Laurie would win, because then she'd only be lacking a Grammy in an EGOT.

- Where was Jordan Peele and the rest of the cast of Get Out? Daniel Kaluuya looked like he was all by himself at his table, and so uncomfortable! It was odd that this film was nominated in the comedy category, though.

- I thought James Franco was very mean not to let Tommy Wiseau speak. He stole the man's life to make money from it - at least he should have let him speak for a minute at the Globes. At least Tonya Harding got to wave.

- Elizabeth Moss's dress made me feel very fashionable - I had the exact same dress for fancy parties back in the late 1980s. Black is a beautiful color for people of various complexions and shapes, so I enjoyed looking at the various versions of The Black Dress.
To Franco's defense, he did bring him on stage with him. He didn't have to as it was his movie, based on Tommy's life, yes but his movie none the less.
I thought it was sweet that he thanked his mom for giving him his brother. Dave is such lovable guy and I loved that he included his bestie, Seth Rogan in his speech.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I watched Dunkirk yesterday, and I have to say that I wasn't overly impressed. But I think it was the lack of character development that did it for me. I actually had some difficulty keeping a few of the characters straight because I had no connection with them.

Quote:
Agreed. Admittedly, I haven't seen Shape of Water yet, but her performance feels compelling to me, just in the previews. Typically if I'm that impressed with someone's performance in the preview, I'm probably going to love it when I see the whole film. I think I'll be catching that one Wednesday night.

Quote:
I try not to be too harsh on those who forget to thank someone. I'm sure that in the excitement of it all, their brain can go numb. It's clear that those two have a special relationship, and Saoirse probably apologized profusely when she realized her gaffe.

Gotta say, I'm happy to read that someone else gets excited about people achieving EGOT. Most people look at me like I have three heads when I bring it up. But a Golden Globe wouldn't get her closer to an EGOT, unfortunately. She's only halfway there. Still needs an Oscar and a Grammy.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:49 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,603,681 times
Oh, that's right -it was the Globes, not the Oscars. Well, high hopes for her for Oscar night then!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV