Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 05:53 PM

8,054 posts, read 4,726,366 times

Advertisements

What stuck the fork in it for me was how they wrote the script as if violent attacks on journalists by Trump supporters are just a daily occurrence in our country. When it isn't. I'm reminded of the old line, "You're entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts." That was supposed to be a situation comedy?

I will always have a certain soft spot in me for the characters on this show, but after last night's episode, I'll have to take a powder. I also hope this show will not be renewed. It's not part of any solution...it's a shining example of the problem. It's not promoting understanding or reconciliation, and certainly not promoting serious debate. This show is preaching to the converted. It was basically a hit piece, playing on stereotypes, making cheap shots and yes, driving away the very people they claim need to hear their point of view. I was trying my best to hang on, probably out of nostalgia, but this was just the final straw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 07:24 PM

18,948 posts, read 43,421,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
What stuck the fork in it for me was how they wrote the script as if violent attacks on journalists by Trump supporters are just a daily occurrence in our country. When it isn't. I'm reminded of the old line, "You're entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts." That was supposed to be a situation comedy?

I will always have a certain soft spot in me for the characters on this show, but after last night's episode, I'll have to take a powder. I also hope this show will not be renewed. It's not part of any solution...it's a shining example of the problem. It's not promoting understanding or reconciliation, and certainly not promoting serious debate. This show is preaching to the converted. It was basically a hit piece, playing on stereotypes, making cheap shots and yes, driving away the very people they claim need to hear their point of view. I was trying my best to hang on, probably out of nostalgia, but this was just the final straw.
I feel exactly the same way.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:46 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,684,895 times
Watch this show Murphy Brown intending to be entertained and instead we get BS scenarios about the president of our Country, the dangerous political view from BOTH sides and some pretty good actors that are being wasted.

Shame the garbage that is put out by a lot of our West Coast entertainment businesses trying to force political issues instead of doing what they are paid for and entertaining the audiences.

Last edited by the searchers; 11-30-2018 at 10:07 PM..

Old 12-01-2018, 11:35 AM

16,061 posts, read 26,692,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
President Trump has praised people for physically assaulting journalists doing their job.

There was also an incident in August when the President projected his approval of the mobs that follow him engaging in physical assaults against journalists doing their jobs.

I think we've all become so inured to the President's transgressions that we either blot them out of our memory or otherwise change our memory of what he's done, because it is just too chilling to recall the actuality.

With regard to the episode, I think it is important to understand that the biggest transgressor, as depicted in the episode, was the President. That was the point being made, that this person for whom there is an extraordinary expectation of civility and maturity regularly makes statements that advocate wrongdoing, if it is a wrongdoing that he likes.
Yes, I know the idiot in office approves of violence against anyone who isn't for him. Trump is a horrible human being, I don't understand how anyone can still support this buffoon with all his nonsense, hatred and fear mongering.

What I don't like is the show putting the Trump supporters in a bucket that hit people for their political views. As someone else pointed out, the Democrats seem to be far worse for violence for political reasons.

Everyone right now is guilty of bad behavior. We are so involved in being right and the other side being wrong we forget we are all human beings that need to treat each other with respect and kindness. IMO this has been 100% perpetuated by Trump blaming everyone for the state of the country.

Murphy Brown took it to the next level insinuating Trump supporters are to blame for the violence.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:15 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,833,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
Watch this show Murphy Brown intending to be entertained and instead we get BS scenarios about the president of our Country, the dangerous political view from BOTH sides and some pretty good actors that are being wasted.

Shame the garbage that is put out by a lot of our West Coast entertainment businesses trying to force political issues instead of doing what they are paid for and entertaining the audiences.
Did you watch the original? Because it's ALWAYS been a politically-themed show, and I would expect nothing less from Murphy Brown. Maybe you shouldn't tune into a political comedy, if you don't want to hear about politics... crazy concept, I know.

And maybe you're not entertained by this brand of humor, but many of us are. Entertainment and comedy are highly subjective, ya know.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:35 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,684,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Did you watch the original? Because it's ALWAYS been a politically-themed show, and I would expect nothing less from Murphy Brown. Maybe you shouldn't tune into a political comedy, if you don't want to hear about politics... crazy concept, I know.

And maybe you're not entertained by this brand of humor, but many of us are. Entertainment and comedy are highly subjective, ya know.
Yes, I was a fan of the original. I don't remember that series as being as blunt and in your face anti one political group. It seemed more like politics itself was the bad guy.

Can't see this version lasting too long without major changes in the writing. There is not much entertainment in lectures.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:35 AM

23,001 posts, read 34,321,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
Yes, I was a fan of the original. I don't remember that series as being as blunt and in your face anti one political group. It seemed more like politics itself was the bad guy.

Can't see this version lasting too long without major changes in the writing. There is not much entertainment in lectures.
I am an original fan too and you're right, it wasn't this disgusting. This is new version is not funny at all, big disappointment since I loved the original.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:40 PM

15,739 posts, read 6,447,235 times
Some comedies are very much linked to a certain time period in a culture. Doonesbury, for example. I was expecting a Murphy Brown revival to flop for that reason.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:41 PM

34,803 posts, read 56,687,351 times
Just watched tonight’s show and really enjoyed it. Jake McDorman did a great job and I still think he could carry his own show as Avery Brown. The scenes with the dog were funny. Hope he sticks around. Jay

Old 12-07-2018, 05:50 PM

50,175 posts, read 63,623,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post

I totally agree. It’s a blatant lie. There hasn’t ever been a case of conservatives being aggressive against liberals, but plenty of times the reverse has been true. I’m through with the show. Shame on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV