Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 11:03 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,732,618 times

Advertisements

We weren't allowed to watch TV if we stayed home from school sick. Too sick for school means you were too sick for TV. Maybe my mom was on to something because I had perfect attendance for like 6 years in a row. I'm pretty sure I never had more than 1 or 2 absences in a single school year. (I graduated in 2001, so there were TVs in all the bedrooms, video games, and later the computer with internet.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 09:40 PM

384 posts, read 272,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Back in the day, the programming during those hours was geared towards a few specific demographics: Housewives, retirees, and "domestic help" (e.g. maids, home nurses, and nannies). So for us teenage girls, and some boys I suppose, getting to see these shows was like striking gold! Game shows, gossipy talk shows, soap operas, oh my! It did make being sick a little less depressing.

Add to my earlier list - Wheel of Fortune (remember when they actually had to shop for their prizes, and nobody ever wanted the dalmatian dog statue?), Card Sharks, Jenny Jones, Phil Donahue, and the rest of the '80s-early '90s talk show gang. Ahh, I miss them.
Wheel should bring the shopping for prizes back and no more of these toss up puzzles every round. The first time I saw that, I thought they were doing a sudden death round 5 minutes into the show because of the split screen.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:52 AM

378 posts, read 246,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
We weren't allowed to watch TV if we stayed home from school sick. Too sick for school means you were too sick for TV. Maybe my mom was on to something because I had perfect attendance for like 6 years in a row. I'm pretty sure I never had more than 1 or 2 absences in a single school year. (I graduated in 2001, so there were TVs in all the bedrooms, video games, and later the computer with internet.)
In my high school days, i never had more than 1 or 2 absences in a single school year. When i was in middle school, i had bowel trouble, so i'd miss a lot.

Old 07-05-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
When I was a kid (back in the mid 50s to mid 60s), I'd watch one game show after another, plus any sitcoms like "I Love Lucy" that came on during the daytime hours. I can remember calling my mother in to the room where I was lying on the couch and telling her to please find a channel that didn't have one of those shows on "that's just a lot of grown-ups arguing." I was talking about all of the soapies.
I remember we had one of those big dishes and USA Network had one game show after another, then i'd switch to the Family Channel and they had "Life Goes On" at 6pm. To me, the images of someone winning big time(cars, boats, trips, big money) on one of those game shows or Kellie Martin crying over her boyfriend having HIV on "Life Goes On" always amazed me then. i never could watch the soapies.

Old 07-05-2020, 04:25 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
Wheel of Fortune with Chuck Woolery...contestants shopped for prizes...mid 70's

Old 07-05-2020, 05:11 PM

130,326 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Same here, if we were too sick for school, we were not allowed to do anything else except get better. Maybe read in bed. As an adult, I remember watching "Streets of San Francisco," it seemed to be on all the time.

Old 07-05-2020, 08:34 PM

19,716 posts, read 20,244,680 times
I grew up in the 80s, I remember Love Connection was on in the middle of the day.

Old 07-06-2020, 07:34 AM

Quote:
When I was a kid (back in the mid 50s to mid 60s), I'd watch one game show after another, plus any sitcoms like "I Love Lucy" that came on during the daytime hours. I can remember calling my mother in to the room where I was lying on the couch and telling her to please find a channel that didn't have one of those shows on "that's just a lot of grown-ups arguing." I was talking about all of the soapies.
My grandmom watched the shows your'e talking about, the one's "that's just a lot of grown-ups arguing." "Another World" was one of these.

Old 07-07-2020, 05:35 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
"Unfortunately", didn't.

In CONUS, we were limited to 90 minutes of TV a day and that usually meant Lost in Space at 1800 and The Addams Family at 1900.

Overseas, the English stations were only on in the evening or, at best evening and just a few hours in the morning.

As an adult, when I had cable and I was working nights so lots of time for daytime watching, well, that was one of the things that burned me out on TV, of the way they treated the daytime watcher. The listings were "various", sports was just talking heads, all the commercials are about only schooling and lawsuits, and what shows they do show are cut to ribbons to make room for all the commercials. Essentially, if you aren't watching prime time, you are nothing!

What I ended up watching then is what I watch now, lots of tapes (then) and DVDs. So-o, one has to create a mindset that they are watching in the most favorable environment they can imagine to enjoy what they are watching. When I was in the apartments, there was a sunken view from the window with bushes outside, so it felt like I was watching in a jungle. Here on the ranch, well it depends on what world I imagine.

As to what I will watch? If I have not done that of the Theme Day (M: Clubs & Swords T: DIE SPY! W: SUPERCHICK Th: Cops&Robbers F: Horror/Fantasy S: Sci-Fi/Fantasy Su: Men & Women of Steel) where it is a TV episode of that and then a movie of that, then that falls into the first selection. I don't binge watch, though; the library is immense but it does have its limits, so everything is watched in small portions.

Mind you, what fits a theme is a rather loose interpretation. Xena, for instance, could meet the definition for any day of the week.

And if the theme of the day has been fulfilled? Well, then the selection is open to anything. The video library is essentially half movies, half TV series. About the only things not in it are day time soaps and game shows.

In concept, in open time, I might take on watching something that I lost track of when it was on, say Charmed or The X-Files, an episode a day, maybe once a week........but such free time is hardly ever consistent.

And today? Being on vacation, waiting for the repair man? I have oodles of belly dance instructional videos to review.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 07-07-2020 at 06:03 AM..

Old 07-13-2021, 05:52 PM

Quote:
I would watch The Real Ghostbusters rather than the soaps. I'd always ask my mom to please find a channel that didn't have one of those shows on "that's just a lot of grown-ups arguing", and The Real Ghostbusters was it. When i got cable, i'd watch the game shows on USA rtaher than that crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV