Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 03:14 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by droc31 View Post
Canada has had some solid shows over the years. I used to watch Kids In the Hall on CBC before it came to the US. I also enjoyed the Littlest Hobo when I was growing up. It was about a nomadic German Shepherd named London who would help people overcome various problems in their lives. Aired back in the late 70s/early 80s, but I still remember watching it very early on Saturday mornings before the US networks signed on. Their children's programming also was great. (The Friendly Giant, Mr. Dressup). Some of their kids game shows even made it on to US television. (5432 Run!, Kidsstreet) which aired on CTV and Global originally, but were picked up by independent stations in US Markets. You Can't Do That on Television was Nickelodeon's flagship program in its early years, but originated from Ottawa. (and featured a pre-teen Alanis Morisette) Pitfall was another Canadian game show I remember well, more because of it's host (a pre-Jeopardy! Alex Trebek) I grew up in the US but lived close enough to the border to get Canadian Television.
Bringing back some great memories. I used to watch Chez Helene, Mr. Dressup, and Romper Room, but my favourite was Friendly Giant until Rocket Robin Hood came on, another Canadian show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkYaauQkSFc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 04:46 PM

384 posts, read 272,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Canada has had more than it’s share of stinkers...
combo of poor production values due to ultra low budget ...even some bad acting....

But here are a few good ones over the years...

Arctic Air
Arthur (good kids long running cartoon shown in US on PBS)
Baroness Von Sketch
Being Erica
Breaker High
Corner Gas
Danger Bay
Degrassi Junior High
Dragon’s Den
Ed’s Night Party (featuring Ed the Sock...got to see it to believe it, very funny)
Fifth Estate
Flashpoint
Forest Rangers
King of Kensington
Love It or List It Vancouver
Littlest Hobo
Marketplace
Nature of Things
SCTV
Nikita
Red Green Show
Orphan Black
Rookie Blue
This Hour Has 22 Minutes
Rick Mercer Repott
Mr Dee
Trailer Park Boys
Ron James Shoe
The Beach Combers
Murdoch Mysteries
Rainbow Country
W5
Front Page Challenge

Red Green was hysterically funny. Used to be on CBC Friday nights along with Mr. Bean and This Hour has 22 Minutes. SCTV was also great and featured Eugene Levy, Martin Short, and John Candy before they became big stars.

Old 01-01-2019, 04:48 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,272,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
You missed:

Avonlea
Wind at My Back (I love this older series!)
Heartland (both my wife and I love this series, now about to start season 12!)
Yeah, I missed a few good ones for sure...

Especially Heartland...I watch it all the time..

Old 01-02-2019, 08:13 PM

6,417 posts, read 4,911,200 times
Due South was the best TV show, I loved it. Murdoch Mysteries, W5, Marketplace (a truly superb consumer show, there would never be a show like this in the USA, its too honest and hard hitting), Holmes on Homes (loved it before it became popular), Love it or List it, Cannonball, Dragons Den (precursor to Shark Tank), Flashpoint, The Littlest Hobo, Kung Fu: The Legend Continues.

I lived in Buffalo and we used to get the Canadian channels so I saw lots of great shows

Old 01-02-2019, 09:44 PM

384 posts, read 272,679 times
We used to get a handful of Canadian channels west of Rochester where I lived. Channel 5 (CBC Toronto), Channel 9 CFTO (CTV Toronto) with Dave Devall doing all the promos and the weather, Channel 12 CHEX (Peterborough). Channel 19 CICA (Toronto), Channel 41 CKGN (Global Toronto) CITY 57 (Toronto) On occasion, we could pull in CJOH from Kingston on Channel 6. Before the digital conversion, it also wasn't uncommon to pick up 2,4, and 7 from Buffalo. (especially when there was a southwest wind). We also could get many radio stations from across Lake Ontario. OJ 95.5, Mix 97.1, and 98.3 from Belleville/Trenton, 101.5 The Wolf from Peterborough, and 104.5 CHUM FM and 102.1 The Edge from Toronto(Prior to about 2000 when a religious station started broadcasting on 102.1 from Albion). CHFI 98.1 could also be heard but through bleedover from 98PXY.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:41 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Definitely one of the best.
The actor is Enrico Colantoni. He also appeared, most notably, in “Galaxy Quest,” “Veronica Mars,” and “Person of Interest.”

If you have access to it, ION TV runs some Canadian imports, A couple of my recent favorites are “Private Eyes” and “Saving Hope.”

My most favorite Canadian imports are still “Motive” and “Murdoch Mysteries.” The latter is still running and is available on Ovation as “The Artful Detective.” It’s also streaming on AcornTV.

The CW ran “Burden of Truth” last summer which I also enjoyed. Hoping they run the second season as well.
And, every once in a while, I miss “Continuum.”

Old 01-03-2019, 11:19 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,101,550 times
Degrassi Junior High/Degrassi High/ I used to watch them every day after school on PBS in America. I didn't know the show was made in Canada back then but I could tell they had a little bit of a different accent The character Snake said the F bomb for the first time in Canadian tv history on Degrassi School's Out. LOL The memories....

Income Property on HGTV. I just tuned in to watch Scott. I was sad when the show was cancelled in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV