Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 12:48 PM

22,915 posts, read 28,256,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yes. Every show about Rome the actors have British accents. Is it just to make them sound high-class or WTH?

Not talking at all about sub-titles. Talking about British accents.

I wonder if it really IS Shakespeare's influence.
I think it is the influence of Shakespeare and just plain practicality. A lot of these movies and TV shows are shot in Europe, so they hire European actors. Even in STAR WARS, the Imperial Officers have British accents because it was shot at Pinewood Studios in England, so they hired English actors. GAME OF THRONES is shot in Europe, so they hire mostly European actors. HBO's ROME ... same thing. History Channel's VIKINGS ... same thing. Even going back to SPARTACUS, most of the Romans were cast with English and/or Shakespearean-trained actors.

I remember a few years ago when people complained that in GAME OF THRONES all the slaves in one episode were dark-skinned. "Racism!" cried the hoi polloi. But Martin told the truth, "The show is shot in Morocco, and when you put out a casting call for extras, not many Swedes show up."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 01:07 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,110,503 times
To differentiate among different types who lived in the Roman empire, it became a Hollywood tradition to use English actors with upper class accents to portray the Roman patricians, English actors with Cockney accents to portray the soldiers and everyday citizens, and American actors to portray the slaves, martyred Christians and other marginal types. If they had a part of some foreigner who didn't fit in any of the above categories, then they would grab someone like Anthony Quinn who was serviceable as an all purpose third worlder.

It provided audiences with a familiar frame of reference for distinguishing among the Roman classes.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:25 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,662,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Vikings and Game of Thrones do also.

But what else can they do?

If they try to make characters sound foreign, i.e. authentic, they will be speaking English with another kind of accent, so what difference does it make?

We know that people did not speak English and having them speak it with any accent will not sound authentic.

It's either in English with some kind of accent or it is subtitles (which Americans are not particularly fond of).
I was impressed that The 13th Warrior with Antonio Banderas in the lead role as Ibn Fadlan actually had the Russ Vikings (I think they were supposed to be the Russ/Swedish Vikings?) speak some approximation of ancient Nordic, at least in the beginning until Ibn began to understand what they were saying. Then they switched to English with an accent, if I remember correctly! It's been a while since I watched it. But at least in the beginning their dialogue was recognizably Nordic/proto-Scandinavian. (The Viking actors, or at least some of them, were in fact Scandinavian.)

Old 03-02-2018, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
I was impressed that The 13th Warrior with Antonio Banderas in the lead role as Ibn Fadlan actually had the Russ Vikings (I think they were supposed to be the Russ/Swedish Vikings?) speak some approximation of ancient Nordic, at least in the beginning until Ibn began to understand what they were saying. Then they switched to English with an accent, if I remember correctly! It's been a while since I watched it. But at least in the beginning their dialogue was recognizably Nordic/proto-Scandinavian. (The Viking actors, or at least some of them, were in fact Scandinavian.)
The Hunt for Red October actually tried something like this. The Russian characters start out speaking Russian (with subtitles), then the camera closes in one a speaking character's mouth, and mid-sentence it switches to English, cluing in the audience that the movie is now "translating." Throughout the rest of the movie, the Russian characters speak English with a Russian accent --- except for Sean Connery, who is Lithuanian, who speaks English with a Scottish accent.

My favorite WTF along these lines is the original Highlander. The main character was supposed to be Scottish, but had a French accent throughout. His mentor was supposed to be a Spaniard, who spoke with a Scottish accent throughout (thanks again, Sean Connery). And then you had the villain, who basically just growled all his dialogue.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:34 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,426,522 times
None only do many of the Games of Thrones actors speak with an English accent, it's a northern English accent. At least they did in the first two series that I saw. I was quite amazed when I heard the accents, as it's not one used often in television or movies.

As for Jesus and his contemporaries having English accents........ well of course! Everybody knows Jesus was a white Englishman, with blue eyes. Common knowledge.......

Old 03-02-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
None only do many of the Games of Thrones actors speak with an English accent, it's a northern English accent. At least they did in the first two series that I saw. I was quite amazed when I heard the accents, as it's not one used often in television or movies.
Sean Bean is from the North. Michele Fairley is from Northern Ireland. Beyond that, I don't know.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:01 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,426,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Sean Bean is from the North. Michele Fairley is from Northern Ireland. Beyond that, I don't know.
I haven't seen the series for years, but many of the actors spoke with northern English accents. I couldn't figure out why at the time, unless it's were the series was set. I stopped seeing it after the baby dragons arrived.

Here's proof Jesus was English.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_6PxrAxd6k

Old 03-02-2018, 08:03 AM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
My recollection is that they did not all have English accents, only one of them did.

It was the Last Supper, and you know the scene, with him telling the gathered apostles that one of them would betray him.

They were all eager to deny it. "Faith and begorra, Lord, I'd never do it." "Sure'n it tain't me, Lord!" "By all the shamrocks in Ireland, it would never be me." To a man the apostles denied it in the most beautiful Irish brogues you ever did hear, until it all came down to Judas.

"I say, old chap. One wouldn't be implying that it would be I, would one?"

LOL on more than one level.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:00 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
I've been watching Versailles, which is set in the court of Louis XIV. Everyone speaks with an English accent--the characters who supposed to be French, the characters who are supposed to be Dutch, even the one who's supposed to be German. The only character with a different accent is the Queen, who has a Spanish accent.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:36 AM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I've been watching Versailles, which is set in the court of Louis XIV. Everyone speaks with an English accent--the characters who supposed to be French, the characters who are supposed to be Dutch, even the one who's supposed to be German. The only character with a different accent is the Queen, who has a Spanish accent.
They just ain't even tryin'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV