Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 08:46 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I loved The Forsyte Saga...Ioan Gruffudd ohbestillmyheart!

I really enjoyed both versions of Upstairs Downstairs as well. And Prime Suspect...so ahead of its time.
If you haven't seen the Crimson Petal and the White, you should check it out if you enjoyed the Forsyte Saga.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 10:10 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I loved The Forsyte Saga...Ioan Gruffudd ohbestillmyheart!

I really enjoyed both versions of Upstairs Downstairs as well. And Prime Suspect...so ahead of its time.
If you loved the 2002 version of The Forsyte Saga, try to find the 1967 black and white 26 episode version that was eventually aired on PBS. The popularity of airing this program on American public TV led to the establshment of Masterpiece Theater. It was repeated a couple of times throughout the 70s and 80s. Eric Porter and Susan Hampshire star in this version, which as absolutely incredible. As usual with British shows of this era, not much in outdoor scenery or production, but the acting is marvelous and it is very theatrical. One of my all time favorites and turned me into a major fan of British television.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:40 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
I can't believe I forgot Poldark! Now that is one sexy man. It's on PBS although I believe it's on hiatus until the next season.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:16 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,132 times
Peaky Blinders is imo one of the best made tv shows ever. Acting, characters, story, cinematography, setting, plot twists, pacing, music - they're all great, I really can't find any serious flaws with the series.
In fact, before I gave it a chance, I loathed Cillian Murphy who plays the head of the family, Tommy Shelby. And now all that resentment is gone, he convinced me my silly hate was completely unfounded.

Old 04-25-2018, 02:46 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,607,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
Peaky Blinders is imo one of the best made tv shows ever. Acting, characters, story, cinematography, setting, plot twists, pacing, music - they're all great, I really can't find any serious flaws with the series.
In fact, before I gave it a chance, I loathed Cillian Murphy who plays the head of the family, Tommy Shelby. And now all that resentment is gone, he convinced me my silly hate was completely unfounded.

I have to say that I found Peaky Blinders to be really annoying & off putting for many of the reasons you like it. Number 1 is the music which I found to be hugely distracting & had nothing to do with the story or the setting but seemed, to me, calculated to attract a certain audience. I thought it just stopped scenes cold & waited for it to stop, didn't add anything for me.

I also thought that Cillian Murphy was horribly miscast as a crime family kingpin, a pretty male model kingpin perhaps, but I just couldn't buy him as threatening. Again I thought his casting, like the musical interludes, was more about marketing or trendy stylistics than storytelling.

Perhaps it's a generational thing.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:14 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I have to say that I found Peaky Blinders to be really annoying & off putting for many of the reasons you like it. Number 1 is the music which I found to be hugely distracting & had nothing to do with the story or the setting but seemed, to me, calculated to attract a certain audience. I thought it just stopped scenes cold & waited for it to stop, didn't add anything for me.

I also thought that Cillian Murphy was horribly miscast as a crime family kingpin, a pretty male model kingpin perhaps, but I just couldn't buy him as threatening. Again I thought his casting, like the musical interludes, was more about marketing or trendy stylistics than storytelling.

Perhaps it's a generational thing.
Well, we can't all like the same things, the world would be boring
I guess it's one of those shows you will either love or hate. Which in my book at least makes it worth a look, as one thing it won't be, is mediocre.

Old 04-26-2018, 10:17 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,272,983 times
My favorites: Downtown Abby and Tudors

Old 08-29-2019, 10:01 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,083,784 times
Looking for something to binge watch, I happened upon Britannia. Watched the whole thing, of course because the daughter of the king was the actress in Yellowstone, one of my current favorites, that just ended the season. Of course they had to kill her character off, because she was apparently too busy now on Yellowstone. Season two should be starting up soon.

Old 08-30-2019, 06:10 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,418,802 times
Harlots on Hulu!

Old 08-31-2019, 11:16 AM

608 posts, read 515,935 times
Poldark
Downton Abby
Rome
Peaky Blinders
The Tudors
The Last Kingdom
I'm sure I'm forgetting some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV