U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 03:49 PM

3,611 posts, read 4,231,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Well, I think GW Bush does look like a chimp, as some have said. I think Trump looks like an orangutan. I think the Kennedys have horse teeth. I also think Obama looks like Curious George. Does that make me a racist? No!
People of color (African Americans) have been slurred by calling them apes for centuries. It's become a de facto word of racism. You can think what you want, but when a person calls a black person an ape, it's a racist slur.

Sure, there are people who actually look more like simians than other people. And some people have horse teeth. But when you call a black person an ape, you have made a racist slur. That's just the way it is. You can act all innocent, but the world doesn't care.

If you call an Arab a sand jockey, then try to claim it's because they ride camels in the desert, people will still assume you are making a slur. It's just the way it is.

So get off your high horse and quit telling us some people look like apes. It's considered a racial slur, so stop saying it. Or be willing to live with the consequences--people will assume you are either an idiot or a racist.

Quote:
But it really just depends who is saying it, right? If it's Samantha Bee, it's fine. If it's Joy Behar, it's fine. If it's Rosie O'Donnell, it's fine. If it's Roseanne, it's not.
Nope. Answered above.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/52093457-post46.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 03:54 PM

8,255 posts, read 6,081,396 times
Quote:
But it really just depends who is saying it, right? If it's Samantha Bee, it's fine. If it's Joy Behar, it's fine. If it's Rosie O'Donnell, it's fine. If it's Roseanne, it's not.

There is a clear difference between what has been said by those people.

The closest example that I can remember recently is the.. I don't know if it was Telemundo or whatever the Spanish language channel was.. One of their anchors basically said the same thing about Michelle Obama.. He was fired.

The fact that as a society, we're accepting of and seemingly promoting the crass descriptions given by the others you mention does speak volumes.. However, saying that they are the same is not apt.

Old 06-04-2018, 04:19 PM

19,064 posts, read 8,969,006 times
Quote:
Where exactly -- please cite the post number -- did I say that?

Old 06-04-2018, 05:58 PM

12,635 posts, read 14,670,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
People of color (African Americans) have been slurred by calling them apes for centuries. It's become a de facto word of racism. You can think what you want, but when a person calls a black person an ape, it's a racist slur.

Sure, there are people who actually look more like simians than other people. And some people have horse teeth. But when you call a black person an ape, you have made a racist slur. That's just the way it is. You can act all innocent, but the world doesn't care.

If you call an Arab a sand jockey, then try to claim it's because they ride camels in the desert, people will still assume you are making a slur. It's just the way it is.

So get off your high horse and quit telling us some people look like apes. It's considered a racial slur, so stop saying it. Or be willing to live with the consequences--people will assume you are either an idiot or a racist.

the truth is that some people do look like apes, and some of those people are white people. Some people look like pit bulls. If you intend it as a racial slur, then it is.

Why are there BLACK PEOPLE and people of other races defending Roseanne, saying she is NOT racist? Saying that she has always been anything BUT racist in their dealings with her through the years? I have read many of those people comment on her twitter feed, including one man who is an American Indian and said Roseanne has nothing but do good for them for many years and he knows she is not racist.

Wanda Sykes calls white people "cracker" all the time. She's also been known to say "f*ck Whitey." Is that not racist? But I don't see people protesting against her saying that and wanting her fired. If what Roseanne said is racist (even though she didn't even know Jarrett was black), then Wanda Sykes is racist too.

But I am not going to continue to argue with you. You have your narrative in your mind that you aren't going to deviate from, right or wrong. And I have better things to do than rehash it over and over again.

P.S. - I am conservative, but not a Trump supporter. I agree with some of his politics, but I think he's an idiot. As far as I knew when the new Roseanne began, Roseanne was liberal. I knew she hated George W Bush, so I just always assumed she was liberal. I didn't care if she was conservative, liberal, a George Bush hater, a Trump supporter, or what. I just liked the show.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:14 PM

1,700 posts, read 798,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I think they should literally KILL the Roseanne character & then have the series be like "Clue", where each of the remaining characters are examined per episode for the many valid reasons they could be the killer. Entertaining & therapeutic.
it could be like "who shot j.r.?"

Old 06-04-2018, 07:40 PM

6,462 posts, read 6,488,412 times
If a new show happens someone better put Roseanne Barr on suicide watch...not trying to make light...I really think that would push her over an edge she has been teetering on for years...

Old 06-04-2018, 08:47 PM

7,614 posts, read 8,037,240 times
I read a suggestion that if they did have a spin-off, Christopher Plummer should be the replacement for the lead.

Not likely, of course, but it would be funny if he did make an appearance in the hypothetical spin-off.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:10 PM

11,715 posts, read 5,549,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
That, according to what I just saw. Of course, they're sounding magnanimous due to their concern about other cast members left blindsided, but I wouldn't be surprised, given the $60 million in ad revenue they're looking to fill.

IMO, though, I agree with some of the people wondering why they even bothered to resurrect that show. I said early on, you can't go home again. Personally, I couldn't have cared less about those characters today. Roseanne belongs in the past.

Word is, they're considering "Jackie," and they already have a tag line: You tuned in for her, anyway.
LOL I didn't. I always thought she was over-the-top and she only got worse, slipping more and more into her bad Carol Burnett impersonation.

That ship sank; let it go, for crying out loud.
I thought it was going to center around Darlene.

Word is, they're considering "Jackie," and they already have a tag line: You tuned in for her, anyway.
LOL I didn't.

LOL me either. She was an annoyance that had to be tolerated, even worse in the re-boot. I would check out one centered around Darlene though. Rosanne killed off, I guess. Gatta have Dan!

Old 06-04-2018, 09:14 PM

11,715 posts, read 5,549,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Jackie and the rest could not survive without Roseanne. They are all deadbeats living in her home.
Dan is the one who keeps the roof over their heads and food on the table. R contributed, but he is the breadwinner.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:43 PM

3,611 posts, read 4,231,674 times
Trying to stay on topic here...

I doubt I'd watch a "Roseanne without Roseanne" spinoff. I'd probably watch the first one, and if it's out-of-sight hilarious, like a 10/10, I'd watch. Anything else, I'd drop it. I liked Roseanne for the ensemble, and if you take away the lead, it just ain't the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or