Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 07:53 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,805,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Everyone accusing Roseanne is ignoring the fact that she didn’t even know that Valerie Jarrett was black. Looking at her, I wouldn’t know she was black either. And I have seen comments various places by black people saying THEY didn’t know she was black. So that kind of erases the racism aspect, doesn’t it?
I don't think people are ignoing it, they just don't believe her. It's not the first time she's called a black person an ape.

It's like her whole "I've been fighting for everybody's rights for years" defense... yeah you used to be progressive, but you've also been wilding on Twitter more recently for the past few years, spouting far right conspiracy theories and alt-right rhetoric. Progressive is the person you used to be, the person you are now seems to have little in common with that anymore.

She's been around this business for a lloooonngg time. She's no naive spring chicken. No one in her position with any sense would post something like that, even as a "joke". She did this to herself. It's hard to feel sorry for her right now. I don't feel sorry for ABC either because she's been doing this kind of stuff for years. It was only a matter of time before something like this happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 08:24 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,528,410 times
It's simple. She 'slipped' and brought out her true self. Bye bye Rosie.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:15 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,097,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
how "pc" we've gotten? Lots of people do a crappy job with the anthem, although her theatrics were a step beyond. But there was nothing discriminatory about it, towards anyone. Just rude and crude.

Her twitter statement last week was racist.

I truly don't understand how people don't get this: speaking out against racism and a racist statement is not pc. It's simply condemning something not tolerated any more.
this!

Old 06-04-2018, 09:23 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,206,437 times
I think claiming she didn't know Valerie Jarret was black simply came off as the height of obnoxious- claiming she thought she was Jewish just boarders on insulting. It is basically showing so little respect for someone that you will whatever BS you can conjure at them and goad them into responding. She linked her to a Muslim group- since when is that a typical comment about someone who is Jewish?

The other problem is that she was also accusing a Nazi-survivor of being a Nazi. And she's made statements like that for a while...

I'll add that we really should not tolerate prejudice or any of the 'isms' against anyone. But when someone is in a historically or recently disadvantage group it is more concerning. I'm a 6' 215 male and if some 5'5" woman catcalled me on the street it would be odd- if I did the same to that woman it would be much easier to see that as threatening. Its also harder sometimes to see a comment against a majority (whatever majority that might be) as carrying the same threat as one against a minority. I 'm actually shocked by some of the ant- Jewish and anti-Mormon rhetoric I've heard in recent years and find it strange the folks who complain about anti-Christian attitudes haven't stepped up their criticism of those behaviors.

When all the dust settles- we really only have words/actions by which to judge people. We can't read hearts/minds/intent. And Roseanne strung together too many dumb a** comments in one moment. So when she drew attention, people were past the point of pondering her motive. I think the whole thing wreaks of mental illness as much as racism.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:18 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,244,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
I don't think people are ignoing it, they just don't believe her. It's not the first time she's called a black person an ape.

It's like her whole "I've been fighting for everybody's rights for years" defense... yeah you used to be progressive, but you've also been wilding on Twitter more recently for the past few years, spouting far right conspiracy theories and alt-right rhetoric. Progressive is the person you used to be, the person you are now seems to have little in common with that anymore.

She's been around this business for a lloooonngg time. She's no naive spring chicken. No one in her position with any sense would post something like that, even as a "joke". She did this to herself. It's hard to feel sorry for her right now. I don't feel sorry for ABC either because she's been doing this kind of stuff for years. It was only a matter of time before something like this happened.
Well, I think GW Bush does look like a chimp, as some have said. I think Trump looks like an orangutan. I think the Kennedys have horse teeth. I also think Obama looks like Curious George. Does that make me a racist? No!

Old 06-04-2018, 11:54 AM

50,744 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Quote:
Well, I think GW Bush does look like a chimp, as some have said. I think Trump looks like an orangutan. I think the Kennedys have horse teeth. I also think Obama looks like Curious George. Does that make me a racist? No!
What do you think it says about you?

Old 06-04-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
What do you think it says about you?
It says that I make observations, the same as you and everyone else. And if you say have never looked at someone and thought/said they looked like someone/something, you are lying.

Last edited by luzianne; 06-04-2018 at 01:00 PM..

Old 06-04-2018, 01:15 PM

50,744 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Quote:
It says that I make observations, the same as you and everyone else. And if you say have never looked at someone and thought/said they looked like someone/something, you are lying.
I think it's rude to look at people, including celebrities and television personalities, and attribute their looks to animals.

And that's what Roseanne did. When one talks about a radical Muslim having sex with Planet Of The Apes, that's way over the line. WAY OVER THE LINE. I find condoning such comments pathetic. And to think it is one thing. To say it publicly is offensive.

Last edited by phetaroi; 06-04-2018 at 01:29 PM..

Old 06-04-2018, 01:33 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,509,862 times
Quote:
I think it's rude to look at people, including celebrities and television personalities, and attribute their looks to animals.

And that's what Roseanne did. When one talks about a radical Muslim having sex with Planet Of The Apes, that's way over the line. WAY OVER THE LINE. I find condoning such comments pathetic. And to think it is one thing. To say it publicly is offensive.
And massively idiotic.

AND . . Roseanne was never going to stop. Her twitter feed has been a hot mess of conspiracy theories and a variety of racist remarks for a long time.

Old 06-04-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:

But it really just depends who is saying it, right? If it's Samantha Bee, it's fine. If it's Joy Behar, it's fine. If it's Rosie O'Donnell, it's fine. If it's Roseanne, it's not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV