Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 08:28 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,986,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Dietrich from Barney Miller

The Professor on Gilligan’s Island

Will Chandler from Movin’ On
Yes, the Professor from Gilligan's Island. Good one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
Actually, Julian Bashir underwent the forbidden 'upgrade' to his intelligence long before his teens; he was about seven or eight, ten at the most. (I'll have to watch the episode again; but I remember his mother saying how it tore her apart to see her little Jules struggling to read and write "cat" when his classmates were well along with their reading; which implies to me that the procedure took place well before his adolescence. Bashir was always one of my favorite characters
Well, depending on how old you are, one could refer to their teen son or daughter as the little so-and-so:

Quote:
In 2348, just before Julian's seventh birthday, the Bashir family left Earth for Adigeon Prime. At first, he was excited to see all the aliens in the hospital, but then they gave him a room and started a series of treatments. These treatments, known as "accelerated critical neural pathway formation," were a method of genetic engineering that involved the resequencing of his DNA. Over the course of two months, his genetic structure was manipulated to accelerate the growth of the neuronal networks in his cerebral cortex, and a new Julian Bashir was born.

The focus of his "enhancements" were to increase his mental abilities and as such, his IQ jumped five points a day for over two weeks. Further treatments led to improvements in his hand-eye coordination, reflexes, vision, stamina, height, and weight. In the end, everything but his name had been altered in some way, which led Julian to do so himself by refusing to ever again answer to the name "Jules."
I looked it up before I had posted last night.

Julian Bashir | Memory Alpha | FANDOM powered by Wikia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
Great list. Almost all of the Star Trek officers were not only book-smart, but situationally smart and extremely adaptable. However, I never found Wesley to be a credible character, he was just too awesome to be real. It would have been nice if there had been a reference to him in DS:9.
Thank you. And that's true what you said about all starfleet officiers, but what about the one guy(I can't think of his name right now) who temporarily became a genius and had his right brain and left brain connection enhanced by an alien probe?(Such a cool episode. ) Well, he had to have been smart enough to make it into starfleet, but he was so bumbling and had such low self confidence. But I think that his name was Reggie.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Adrian Monk

Tim Allen's assistant on Tool Time, AL

Tim Allen's next door neighbor on Home Improvement, the man behind the fence, Wilson

Alex Keaton from Family Ties

Alex Reiger from Taxi, and might mention for trivia, Marilu Henner who played Elaine Nardo, has a photographic memory and is very smart in real life.

Mr. Roarke from Fantasy Island

Smithers, assistant to Mr. Burns on The Simpsons, and of course, Lisa

Steve McGarrett played by Jack Lord, original Hawaii Five-O

Brett Maverick and Jim Rockford

Coneheads from SNL
Mr. Roarke was smart? I thought that he was just magical. lol

And Jim Rockford was smart?

Old 06-09-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post
Richard Kimble. Not only could he do almost any job from veterinary assistant to operating heavy machinery, he always had all the bus schedules memorized for wherever he was.
Well, I guess you got a point. Plus, he was a doctor.

And which reminds of of Richard Kimble's parallel character in a different show, Dr. David Bruce Banner from the Incredible Hulk. Kind of like the same thing that you said about Richard Kimble... except for the bus schedules because he was all thumbs.

P.S. And I would have repped you for that, but I must have already given you one recently.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
Thank you. And that's true what you said about all starfleet officiers, but what about the one guy(I can't think of his name right now) who temporarily became a genius and had his right brain and left brain connection enhanced by an alien probe?(Such a cool episode. ) Well, he had to have been smart enough to make it into starfleet, but he was so bumbling and had such low self confidence. But I think that his name was Reggie.
Reginald Barclay... that's his name.

So I guess we could include the 'enhanced' version of Reginal Barclay in this list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI2T5KdEqTM

Old 06-09-2018, 10:35 PM

4,950 posts, read 2,706,188 times
Jarod from The Pretender. He was a genius who was so smart that he could master a job such as a medical doctor, an engineer, or lawyer in just a few days of preparation. He was also humble and wanted to help people.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Jarod from The Pretender. He was a genius who was so smart that he could master a job such as a medical doctor, an engineer, or lawyer in just a few days of preparation. He was also humble and wanted to help people.
I'm not familiar with the show, but he sounds interesting.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:20 PM

Marshall Flinkman the tech/gadget guy from Alias.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:32 PM

Leopold "Leo" Fitz from Agents of SHIELD.

Quote:
Leopold James "Leo" Fitz was a Scottish-born former S.H.I.E.L.D. agent and scientist. A genius engineer, he is one of the youngest and most prominent members of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Sci-Tech division, and inseparable from his research partner and friend (and later wife), Jemma Simmons
Leo Fitz | Marvel Cinematic Universe Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia

Jemma Simmons from Agents of SHIELD.

Quote:
Jemma Anne Simmons is an English-born former S.H.I.E.L.D. agent and scientist. A genius biochemist, she is one of the youngest and most prominent members of S.H.I.E.L.D.’s research division, along with her partner and husband, Leo Fitz.
Jemma Simmons | Marvel Cinematic Universe Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia

Old 06-09-2018, 11:56 PM

4,950 posts, read 2,706,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
I'm not familiar with the show, but he sounds interesting.
The show was from the 1990s. Ended around 2000. Look it up in Wikepedia. They give a good explanation of it there.

Michael T. Weiss was the actor who played Jarod.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV