Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 08:02 AM

5,870 posts, read 6,938,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
Sad to see Carleigh go. She is one tough camper.

I don't think she should have waited as long as she did to tap out. Hope she doesn't have any lasting damage to her hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 09:26 AM

1,082 posts, read 832,451 times
Just started on Season 1 on Hulu. My wife and I are totally addicted. I am glad the drama element is removed. That is what made "naked and Afraid" undoable for us after a couple of seasons.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:21 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,858,764 times
Can't believe Carleigh went out so early. Super bummed as I hoped she would win. That hook in the thumb looked pretty bad. She's tough as nails for staying out there for so long and trying so many ways to get it out.

Old 06-22-2018, 04:33 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,616,936 times
There have been two full episodes (+ an episode that was just introducing the contestants). I think we have seen 8 of the 10 contestants, and after the first week 2 of them have quit.

While I continue to dislike the way the show is edited, I am impressed with the challenge Mongolia represents. The locations the show is using has rivers, but no lakes or larger bodies of water. A lot of the areas shown so far, are pretty flat, with a few trees, bushes and plenty of grassland. There have been wolves heard in the distance, a pit viper seen from far too close and a few other animals. Surviving is going to be a challenge, especially one the weather turns cold.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:30 AM

5,870 posts, read 6,938,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
There have been two full episodes (+ an episode that was just introducing the contestants). I think we have seen 8 of the 10 contestants, and after the first week 2 of them have quit.

While Carleigh did voluntarily leave, I don't think she really had a choice. She risked doing permanent damage to her hand. I would not have waited as long as she did.

From what we saw, it looked like the water was flowing pretty fast in the places Brad was fishing. He may have had better luck trying to find a place with calmer water. With the seeming lack of fruits and other edible vegetation, it looks like the winner will be whoever catches the most fish.

It was probably the editing, but it seemed some of them spent time & energy on things that didn't matter, like hiking to see where the wolves were. I think I would have focused on finding food, finding firewood and bulking up my shelter. Work on number one, then two, then three, then repeat.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:50 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,858,764 times
I'm wondering about their shelters. From what they've shown not many seem to be putting up something that will do in a Mongolian winter. A tarp over a branch isn't going to do much good. The longer they wait the less energy they're going to have for that task.

The second tap-out wasn't too surprising. He was basically untested and that showed.

Old 06-23-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
I'm wondering about their shelters. From what they've shown not many seem to be putting up something that will do in a Mongolian winter. A tarp over a branch isn't going to do much good. The longer they wait the less energy they're going to have for that task.

The second tap-out wasn't too surprising. He was basically untested and that showed.
For some reason, the producers of Alone have tended not to show much of the effort put into building shelters. Some of the contestants put a lot of effort and a fair amount of skill into building their shelters, yet the viewers rarely see it. The main exceptions were the awesome shelter Callie built in 3 and the shelter Brooke and Dave built in season 4.

So far this season, I think we have seen two approaches to shelter building. #1 is put up something quick, so time and calories can be put to use scouting the land and starting to get fishing lines / snares set up. #2 is put a lot of effort into building the shelter right away, while energy is still high. I think both strategies have value, but have seen some contestants in the past build shelters at less than ideal locations.

Old 07-27-2018, 04:25 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,784,846 times
and again this season Larry or whatever his name is, is driving the viewers crazy with his obsession about the mice. OMG-can't stand that dude

Old 07-28-2018, 08:27 AM

1,082 posts, read 832,451 times
Has Season 4 already started? We binge watched on Hulu, but it only goes to Season 3. Does it have repeat contenders?

Old 07-29-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
Has Season 4 already started? We binge watched on Hulu, but it only goes to Season 3. Does it have repeat contenders?
Season 4, where they had teams of 2 trying to survive together, has been done for a while. Brooke in season 5 was originally on season 4 with her husband.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV