U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 09:32 PM

3,131 posts, read 1,044,187 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone knows of any TV shows that are almost the same the show, but that are tweaked a little bit and have a different name.

My first one is The Fugitive and The Incredible Hulk. Both shows were about doctors, Dr. Richard Kimble and Dr. David Bruce Banner, respectively, who are both framed for a murder that they did not commit. And both doctors are on the run week after week in different situations and in different cities, with different jobs and different names. Also, both of them have a particular individual who is hounding and chasing them, where The Fugitive has police lieutenant Philip Gerard, and The Incredible Hulk has investigative reporter Jack McGee. Plus, both get involved in dangerous and exciting situations which make for the episode that week.

The next one is Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie where both shows are about beautiful blondes who are magical beings. Also, in both shows, the blonde star of the show marries a mortal man, which creates situations where all sorts of hi-jinks ensue.

The third one is Dallas and Dynasty where both shows are centered around family dynasties whose family commodity which makes them filthy rich is oil. And both shows have a main villain character who creates all sort of drama, danger, and suspense, where Dallas has J.R. and Dynasty has Alexis. Plus, both shows had equally important 'good-guy' characters, along with characters who were in between.

But that's all that I can think of, therefore, does anyone else know of anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 11:30 PM

973 posts, read 769,556 times
My husband and I were talking the other day about a repeating pattern in shows we've watched over the past few years. Basic plot: a competent, attractive, hard-boiled (yet tender-hearted) female cop is partnered with a male who is NOT a cop, but has some useful special skills and knowledge, or a reason to be doing research on police work.

The earliest we can remember is Castle, where a best-selling mystery novelist partnered with the pretty detective. It ran for many seasons; I think they actually got married eventually. Cancelled.

Then Blacklist. OK, she's FBI rather than a local cop. Still running, I think.

Next was APB: A tech billionaire makes a deal to purchase a Chicago Police district and equip it with cutting-edge technology. He works with Det. Teresa Murphy. Cancelled.

Also, Instinct: A college prof and best-selling author on psychopaths works with a detective who is still getting over the death of her work partner/fiance. Still in its first season.

Last but not least, Lucifer. Sadly, just canceled after three seasons. Premise was untoppable -- the pretty detective is partnered with The Devil Himself; hilarity and hijinks ensue. We will miss this one! (Seriously, the stories were interesting and the characters were fascinating. It really is too bad this got cancelled.)

Old 06-10-2018, 12:18 AM

1,147 posts, read 418,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
My husband and I were talking the other day about a repeating pattern in shows we've watched over the past few years. Basic plot: a competent, attractive, hard-boiled (yet tender-hearted) female cop is partnered with a male who is NOT a cop, but has some useful special skills and knowledge, or a reason to be doing research on police work.

The earliest we can remember is Castle, where a best-selling mystery novelist partnered with the pretty detective. It ran for many seasons; I think they actually got married eventually. Cancelled.

Then Blacklist. OK, she's FBI rather than a local cop. Still running, I think.

Next was APB: A tech billionaire makes a deal to purchase a Chicago Police district and equip it with cutting-edge technology. He works with Det. Teresa Murphy. Cancelled.

Also, Instinct: A college prof and best-selling author on psychopaths works with a detective who is still getting over the death of her work partner/fiance. Still in its first season.

Last but not least, Lucifer. Sadly, just canceled after three seasons. Premise was untoppable -- the pretty detective is partnered with The Devil Himself; hilarity and hijinks ensue. We will miss this one! (Seriously, the stories were interesting and the characters were fascinating. It really is too bad this got cancelled.)
The Mentalist. Similar to "Castle". A fictitious FBI type organization, but with a jurisdiction only in California, cant remember the name. The small team within it is headed by a woman but is assisted by a private citizen, "the mentalist", who has no police experience or training, but while not psychic, can read people well and is very intuitive. He is constantly in mental pain and anguish because a sadistic killer murdered his wife and child. The sadist continually stalks him at a distance, while the mentalism helps to solve crimes for his agency. Eventually, he battles the sadist who killed his family.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:58 AM

5,610 posts, read 2,740,810 times
Just like Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie, there was (at approximately the same time) The Addams Family and The Munsters.

Family Ties and Growing Pains always struck me as very similar. Two-career household with three kids, with the eldest son becoming a break-out star. Each even resorted to adding a fourth child as the kids grew older and they needed to come up with new angles on the usual stories.

Old 06-10-2018, 01:11 PM

7,083 posts, read 7,480,519 times
"Private Eyes" is a "Castle" clone (IMO a better show too). In it Jason Priestley is a former hockey player Matt Shade (it is Canada afterall!) who teams up with a private investigator to solve cases. It even includes the sassy daughter who exists mostly to take care of her dad

Also, "Life in Pieces" is IMO a better clone of "Modern Family"

Old 06-10-2018, 01:36 PM

16,806 posts, read 8,285,217 times
The Honeymooners and the Flinstones.

Old 06-10-2018, 01:40 PM

7,083 posts, read 7,480,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
The Honeymooners and the Flinstones.
That was literally one being an animated version of the other. Flintstones even used some Honeymooners plots

Old 06-10-2018, 01:41 PM

16,806 posts, read 8,285,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
That was literally one being an animated version of the other. Flintstones even used some Honeymooners plots
Exactly!

Old 06-10-2018, 01:52 PM

2,252 posts, read 1,238,543 times
There's a saying in the TV industry: "Imitation is the sincerest form of Television."

Honestly this thread can be almost endless with the constantly recycled themes & copycat spinoff series.

Old 06-10-2018, 03:38 PM

1,851 posts, read 454,025 times
An argument can be made that The Big Bang Theory is pretty similar to Friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or