Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 02:35 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
I don’t feel so guilty after reading your post, even though I added FilmStruck after starting this thread.
I am wonwering how you like Filmstruck? I regret not having TCM, but to cut costs, we went down a tier with our cable. DH wants to keep cable for the sports channels. But I enjoy watching old films, and I like TCM. I am wondering if you think filmstruck is worthwhile. I notice we can get a free 14 day trial.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 03:38 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,294,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I am wonwering how you like Filmstruck? I regret not having TCM, but to cut costs, we went down a tier with our cable. DH wants to keep cable for the sports channels. But I enjoy watching old films, and I like TCM. I am wondering if you think filmstruck is worthwhile. I notice we can get a free 14 day trial.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
So far I like it, enough to go ahead and pay for a year in advance. I’m not sure how many of the Criterion films I’ll watch, but I like the Turner Classic stuff a lot. I just finished watching 4 Miss Marple movies made in the early 1960’s starring Margaret Rutherford. She can get you laughing with just a look. I don’t like the browser fo FilmStruck because I think it’s harder to browse than it should be, but I’d recommend you test drive it if you like classic films.

I still have cable too, mostly for sports. I need my ESPN and SEC network, and the only way to get the games of the local Major League Baseball team is thru Fox Sports Ohio.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:32 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
So far I like it, enough to go ahead and pay for a year in advance. I’m not sure how many of the Criterion films I’ll watch, but I like the Turner Classic stuff a lot. I just finished watching 4 Miss Marple movies made in the early 1960’s starring Margaret Rutherford. She can get you laughing with just a look. I don’t like the browser fo FilmStruck because I think it’s harder to browse than it should be, but I’d recommend you test drive it if you like classic films.

I still have cable too, mostly for sports. I need my ESPN and SEC network, and the only way to get the games of the local Major League Baseball team is thru Fox Sports Ohio.
We have similar situation. DH keeps up with STL Cardinals. And he also watches football and baseball. But I think he gets baseball from MLB. I do miss the ability to watch old movies.

Thanks.

Old 06-29-2018, 06:53 PM

19,209 posts, read 16,696,914 times
I cut the cord on cable and satellite years ago. The only channel I subscribe to right now is Pure Flix. I purchased the yearly plan so I'm good until December.

There are some shows on Netflix that I like but I will usually wait until they all drop, then sign up for a month or two and watch them. After that, I'm gone again. I have Amazon Prime but I signed up (and kept it) for the books and shipping discounts. Movies are only a perk. I've found quite a few great movies and series to watch on it.

I also have the Roku Channel and that's a free channel when you have a Roku box (which I do). Plenty there to watch, too. If I can't find something to watch on any of the channels I have, I must not really be in the mood to watch television in the first place.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:58 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Directvnow but it's seriously fubar'd, every show we watch is interrupted at least once with a message "unauthorized content" or "sorry for the inconvenience try again later". We chose Directvnow because it had the channels we watch and we got an awesome deal on Apple TV.

We also have Netflix and can use my son's Hulu account but have to access it since we don't have the same zip code as he does

Old 06-29-2018, 08:11 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,202,682 times
None but now that Lucifer will be on Netflix - I will subscribe to that once the new season starts. And will watch the new season of Grace and Frankie while I have it.

Old 06-30-2018, 04:28 PM

2,920 posts, read 1,985,284 times
Used to be I'd only have either Netflix or Hulu, but since I don't like giving up Hulu its just a matter of how often I have Netflix. I happen to have both right now.

Signed up for CBS All-Access this week to watch the Big Brother livestreams. Last year was my first year doing so, didn't think I'd sign up again but couldn't resist. Enjoy the behind the scenes scheming that goes on. Adds context to what we see in the episodes. They have a good cast for the most part this year, much better than last year's.

Acorn TV I have once in a great while for a month or two to catch up on a series or two or three.

Tried Britbox but couldn't use it with Roku 3. When I tried getting into it it didn't give me a keyboard to enter my login information.

Same with DirectTV Now. Had a special promotion from AT&T U-verse. Received $20/month off my internet service for a year but had to sign up for DirectTV Now for three months at about $10/month. Never could sign in through Roku so didn't bother with it and cancelled after three months.

I've seen some others that look interesting but some are too expensive, plus I have more than enough to watch - more than I can get to actually. Other things to do than watch tv all evening.

Old 06-30-2018, 04:33 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
Amazon Prime, Hulu*, Netlfix*, *DirecTV Now, VRV, Funimation, Crunchyroll, and HIDIVE. The last 4 specialize in anime (Eng. subs and Eng. dubs).

*these accounts on hold for because of the monthly prices though when I find a job, I might reactivate them.

Old 06-30-2018, 04:43 PM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Only pay for service I have is Amazon - nothing to watch anyway - as I do order enough from them to justify free shippings. Amazon Prime then comes with video stream.
I had Netflix for years, but I dropped it last year.
I have several websites that allow me to watch basically any TV show next day after release - free. Movies - free. I see no need to pay anyone for that. yes, they may go flaky ever so often, but I am the last to complain. When they go down, plenty to watch on YouTube.

If you are die hard sports person, look at offers like SetTV. You'lll have all sports you want to for fraction of cost.

Old 06-30-2018, 04:49 PM

2,920 posts, read 1,985,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Only pay for service I have is Amazon - nothing to watch anyway - as I do order enough from them to justify free shippings. Amazon Prime then comes with video stream.
I had Netflix for years, but I dropped it last year.
I have several websites that allow me to watch basically any TV show next day after release - free. Movies - free. I see no need to pay anyone for that. yes, they may go flaky ever so often, but I am the last to complain. When they go down, plenty to watch on YouTube.

If you are die hard sports person, look at offers like SetTV. You'lll have all sports you want to for fraction of cost.
Looks like Set TV is unavailable. They are being sued by Netflix and Amazon.

I agree about Youtube. So much to watch. Have been watching the current season of Survivor New Zealand and also the 5th season of Survivor South Africa on Youtube. Hoping it never goes to a pay site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV