Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 06:43 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Well before.

This is something that.. If you want to nitpick.. We never really got the whole story behind the Walt/Gretchen/Elliott situation.

We know they were dating/together and when they broke up, Walt left and sold his part of Gray Matter.. We don't know what the cause of that breakup was, though. We know she winds up with Elliott who was also one of the founding partners.. Did she leave Walt for Elliott?

That's something I would have preferred be explained, but the fact that it wasn't is rather minor.

The fact that Skylar knows and seems to be decently friendly with Elliott and Gretchen.. Not sure about this.. It appears that she is the "Wife of a friend" type acquaintance. I don't think she knew Elliott and Gretchen before meeting Walt. But, that also means that Walt remained in touch enough with Elliott and Gretchen for her to at least know them somewhat. Perhaps just by attending their wedding or something. I could see that.. Walt invited to the wedding, brings Skylar.. It seems Skylar has about that level of relationship with E&G.. She's met them at a few functions, but that is about it.
Quote:
In the series, we learn White co-founded Gray Matter Technologies along with his friend Elliott Schwartz. White is dating his lab assistant, Gretchen, but he suddenly leaves her while spending 4th of July weekend with her family. He sells his shares of Gray Matter to his partner for $5,000. The company is later worth billions, Elliott and Gretchen get married and White goes on to, you know, die in a meth lab. (And they all lived happily ever after.)

The real reason White left Gray Matter, which serves as part of the motivation for the character’s dark turn, has remained a mystery, but while chatting with The Huffington Post about “Yo Soy Saul,” an original song created for “Better Call Saul,” Gilligan and Gould also finally opened up about one of the biggest unanswered questions from the series:

Here’s why Walter White left Gray Matter.
More here:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0b25c91838d57
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 06:28 PM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Well before.

This is something that.. If you want to nitpick.. We never really got the whole story behind the Walt/Gretchen/Elliott situation.
Agreed, sadly that was a massive plot hole. We never really found out why Walt’s sister in law, Marie, stole from department stores and to what extent either. Like what was the meaning or purpose behind that scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetluv View Post
Agreed, that was both ingenious and hilarious! One of the things that I think made Breaking Bad so strong was not only the amazing storyline, with it's intricate twists and turns, but also the often dark humour that was interspersed throughout.
Agreed, I felt like it mastered the “nothing goes right” consequences which made for a very realistic and practical story. This really looked like a person trying to cook meth while being a school teacher. The drug world aspect of the story was like a new show itself and made for very tense and action packed scenes

Old 06-17-2018, 07:20 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,995 times
Well it seems that people do not think Skyler would have died cause they feel that the family will not suffer as much if she gets the sweet release of death. But I think that the family would suffer more if Skyler was killed. Walt Jr. and Marie would hate Walt a lot more if that had happened, along with Hank's death.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:50 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Agreed, sadly that was a massive plot hole.
"Massive" plot hole? It was mentioned a couple times, played a role towards the end, and that was it. It never was a focal point of the series, and certainly wasn't a MPH.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Well it seems that people do not think Skyler would have died cause they feel that the family will not suffer as much if she gets the sweet release of death. But I think that the family would suffer more if Skyler was killed. Walt Jr. and Marie would hate Walt a lot more if that had happened, along with Hank's death.
No one said that. Any part of that. No one even said anything about the relative amount of suffering of the family over Skylar's fate. You are arguing with yourself now about whether she should have died, or gone to real prison, etc.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Agreed, sadly that was a massive plot hole. We never really found out why Walt’s sister in law, Marie, stole from department stores and to what extent either. Like what was the meaning or purpose behind that scene

It was funny. You know, they wanted to make people laugh? It's this thing they do often in TV and movies...........

Old 06-17-2018, 11:33 PM

I'm glad they didn't carrie the Marie stealing subplot any further than they did. If BB had ended like other shows, they would have carried this subplot all the way to the finale for it's own individual subplot pay off, like a lot of TV finales do.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
No one said that. Any part of that. No one even said anything about the relative amount of suffering of the family over Skylar's fate. You are arguing with yourself now about whether she should have died, or gone to real prison, etc.
Oh one of the posts before talked about how the Skyler's death would have been too much of a relief for her and therefore the audience, so I was just debating how I felt that it would affected the other family members more, that's all.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
EXACTLY......

Walt knew everything that he had tried to accomplish had turned into a steaming pile of poop..... because of his own greed..... his all-important family held nothing but hatred for him and were destined to struggle until the end of time......

What could be more tragic than THAT from Walt's perspective??
He managed to get a lot of money to Walt Jr. The 'how' was the hilarious portion of the finale.

OP, no one said that Skylar living she did was a fate worse than death/more punishing to Walt except you.

This is the closest comment to your latest post that I can find:

Quote:
If anything, the enduring contempt of Skyler and Walt Jr. was as emotionally devastating to him as if one of them had died.
You just wanted Skylar to die and keep coming up with different reasons to justify why she should have.

Old 06-18-2018, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
The problem here...if you ask me...is that you see death as the ultimate consequence. The truth of the matter is that it is often the opposite. It reminds me of that scene in Jurassic Park II where Ian Malcolm takes offense at Roland Tembo's flippant comment about one of his friends being eaten by the T-Rex, to which Tembo replies "well then his troubles are over".

Having Skylar and/or Walt Jr. killed would have really only punished Walt, but he was going to be dying soon anyways, so his inevitable death would have just relieved that punishment. As it was, Walt was punished by the knowledge that his family hated him and that his actions ultimately made their situation worse, rather than provide security for them when he passed away.

In addition to the realities of their financial and living situation, Walt. Jr was punished with the knowledge that his father was an evil man. Skylar was punished with her relationship with her son and sister being forever altered for the worse. Their fates were ultimately much worse than the release of death.
I was referring to this post here, where it talks about how death is not the ultimate consequence. Where as I thought Skyler's death would be the ultimate consequence, for the other family member characters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV