Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 06:14 AM

730 posts, read 1,313,744 times

Advertisements

Thought it was OK, pretty slow moving. It's a 10 episode series so I'll probably watch all the episodes.

I like Kevin Costner, but he alone cannot carry the show if it doesn't improve. Perhaps, as we get to know the characters, it will pick up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 07:04 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,230,670 times
It was ok, nothing special. Which is exactly what the reviewers were saying--they didn't say it stunk, just that it didn't stand out in today's world of "Peak TV".

I thought a two hour pilot was waaay too long. Didn't realize it when I started watching. Either learn to edit better, or just split it up. Two hours means they haven't learned how to intro all the characters properly in an hour.

Costner was good, but he always is. The daughter was a bit of a caricature. (BTW, at one point it seemed like everyone they kept introducing to us was an offspring of his .)

The conflicts between the ranch and the developers and the reservation seem interesting. Lots of potential there. Same with his youngest son, and him being torn between old family, and his new life.

Gorgeous scenery. It's actually filmed in Utah, other than the scenes with the house itself, which is in Montana.

I'm confused on some points (which is amazing, considering a two hour pilot ought to over-explain everything). At the end, there was a female politician sitting with the Indian chief, telling him she'll get to the bottom of it, and back him all the way. Was that the Governor, or the Senator? I think both are female. And why would she care? Dutton has far more stroke than the Indians to a politician.

Also, the daughter (Ms. Melodramatic) seems to be the head of some company, the one that's taking over another company (that scene at the beginning, where she's called a *****). IL Oil maybe? What does that have to do with Costner and the Duttons?

And I'm not sure why the animosity towards the developers? They're on their own property, downstream of Yellowstone, who has hundreds of thousands of acres on its own. Why does Dutton care?

I'll watch another, but only because it's summer and there is very little on my TiVo. It needs to get more interesting, or get gone.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:12 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,865,579 times
I liked it. Kind of a cross between Longmire and Dallas. The wealthy cattleman stuck in his ways, developers wanting to area to grow and Indians stuck on "the res".

And Hollywood please please please STOP with the Texas drawl or southern accents for shows located in Wyoming or Montana. NO ONE there speaks like that.

The scene with the elder shooting the tame buffalo was sad.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:20 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,123,748 times
My guess is it's starting out slow because it had a lot of characters to introduce in that first episode. It looks like it might be promising but I actually turned it off about half way thru. Main reason is not the show, but me. I am not at a place in my life right now where I want to follow that much drama. But it does look like it has potential.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:42 AM

4,488 posts, read 1,641,961 times
I haven’t had time to watch it yet (too busy) but plan to watch tonight.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:31 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,260,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
Does anyone plan to watch this new drama series?

Yellowstone | Paramount Network
I do, can't wait to watch it tonight, DVR'd it....I snuck a peak this morning, and just saw the very beginning a horrible accident.?

Old 06-21-2018, 12:35 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,260,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Reviews are less than promising. I've read three so far, all three were... "it's ok, but nothing special".

I plan on trying it, but when three different reviewers all have the same thoughts, that's not promising.

But I've been surprised before! (both ways)
yanno what, I don't even bother any more, first, I think their smug...and can make or break a movie...series, etc. We all have different likes and dislikes. Years ago, I used to listen to them, didn't go see the movie, watched it when it came out on tape, and couldn't believe how much I loved it...so? To each his own...

Old 06-21-2018, 12:39 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,695,930 times
The pilot also reminded me of Dallas and Longmire. It also seemed like the Anti-Dances with Wolves.

Costner was good. The lowest point was the daughter- a stereotyped hard-as-nails, tough slutty broad. 70 years ago, this was the type of role that Lucille Ball played. When she was in the bar showing the guy who wanted to pick her up that he was far out of her league, I kept thinking of Lucy Ricardo trying to "vamp" Ernie Ford.

Old 06-21-2018, 01:37 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,615,558 times
I'm also a fan of Longmire, so naturally, I looked forward to the premiere of Yellowstone.

I knew the comparisons to Longmire would be in abundance, but it's important to note how different the two shows are.

Longmire was not a soap. Yellowstone feels very soapy. I believe it's a soap. That doesn't mean I won't watch it, but look how OTT the redhead Dutton daughter (Beth) is. They wasted no time in her establishing her as a morally ambiguous b_tch. The "walk down the hall or f__k me" scene was hilarious.

Longmire had a great ensemble cast. Yellowstone feels more like "Costner, that guy from Interstellar (Wes Bentley), and everyone else." I'll add that Danny Huston is a guy who plays a good villain, so I hope he turns out to be more than a one-note capitalist. I liked Kelsey Asbille (Monica Dutton) more than Kelly Reilly, too.

Longmire wasn't a "Cowboys vs. Indians" show. I hate to say this, but Yellowstone clearly is, and they wasted no time in establishing that, either. Thomas Rainwater = Jacob Nighthorse.

I'll still watch it to see how it plays out. The opening of the show was clearly a flash-forward.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:51 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,695,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
I'm also a fan of Longmire, so naturally, I looked forward to the premiere of Yellowstone.

I knew the comparisons to Longmire would be in abundance, but it's important to note how different the two shows are.

Longmire was not a soap. Yellowstone feels very soapy. I believe it's a soap. That doesn't mean I won't watch it, but look how OTT the redhead Dutton daughter (Beth) is. They wasted no time in her establishing her as a morally ambiguous b_tch. The "walk down the hall or f__k me" scene was hilarious.

Longmire had a great ensemble cast. Yellowstone feels more like "Costner, that guy from Interstellar (Wes Bentley), and everyone else." I'll add that Danny Huston is a guy who plays a good villain, so I hope he turns out to be more than a one-note capitalist. I liked Kelsey Asbille (Monica Dutton) more than Kelly Reilly, too.

Longmire wasn't a "Cowboys vs. Indians" show. I hate to say this, but Yellowstone clearly is, and they wasted no time in establishing that, either. Thomas Rainwater = Jacob Nighthorse.

I'll still watch it to see how it plays out. The opening of the show was clearly a flash-forward.
I was a big fan of Longmire, although I haven't seen it since it was picked up by Netflix. Longmire had excellent writing and character development. I see Yellowstone more like Dallas or Dynasty but set in the Big West like Longmire. This is also going to be more like cowboys and Indians with Gary Cooper. Longmire was much more sophisticated.

Yellowstone looks like an expensive production and the scenery is gorgeous. If program takes, off, Montana/Utah can expect a lot of tourists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV