U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 06:41 PM

12,674 posts, read 14,748,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I probably won't watch it. I loved the interaction between Rosanne and Dan. And I enjoyed the mother. I never liked the Jackie character but thought Metcalf was great as Sheldon's mom. Can't say I ever really liked any of the kids either - I watched the show for Roseanne and her interaction with people who weren't blue collar until it went too far out there.
I liked Roseanne, Dan, Jackie and Bev. I can't say I really liked any of the kids and I never watched the show to see the kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 11:11 PM
HDL
Status: "May you be safe and blessed this holiday season :-)" (set 9 days ago)

3,099 posts, read 5,884,242 times
Default Just my humble opinion.....

I really enjoyed the original Roseanne show and will occasionally watch reruns when I'm bored.

And when the reboot came on earlier this year, I was excited to see what would they do with all the characters and whatnot. The 1st episode was okay but I thought it was in a seriously bad time warp. It looked like they thought reusing most of the old props was somehow appropriate and for me that made it worse. Who doesn't change out their home and furnishings through the years???

So I stopped watching it right away. The characters had not developed in a good way and the acting was off to me. Then when 'The Event" happened, I felt that Hollywood was rather hasty to cancel "Roseanne" and that actor "DJ" (whose real name I don't recall and whose acting is rather poor imo), speaking out against her felt extremely disloyal. "DJ" was very fortunate to have been on the show the first time around and reboots don't always work out. So get over it "DJ" and go find work that you're actually good at!

Anyways, although I hate "Hollywood" 99% of the time, if what I'm hearing this week is true (and I'm sure that I'll never know for certain), Roseanne was even 'crankier' this time around and was difficult to work with again on set. So while I don't feel that a "Connor Family" show will work based off of "Roseanne", I do hope that most of the actors land positions soon (excluding Sara Gilbert who is a better talk show host than actor and "DJ"). I honestly believe this ship has sailed!

Old 07-18-2018, 01:02 AM

7,665 posts, read 8,098,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL View Post
I really enjoyed the original Roseanne show and will occasionally watch reruns when I'm bored.

And when the reboot came on earlier this year, I was excited to see what would they do with all the characters and whatnot. The 1st episode was okay but I thought it was in a seriously bad time warp. It looked like they thought reusing most of the old props was somehow appropriate and for me that made it worse. Who doesn't change out their home and furnishings through the years???

So I stopped watching it right away. The characters had not developed in a good way and the acting was off to me. Then when 'The Event" happened, I felt that Hollywood was rather hasty to cancel "Roseanne" and that actor "DJ" (whose real name I don't recall and whose acting is rather poor imo), speaking out against her felt extremely disloyal. "DJ" was very fortunate to have been on the show the first time around and reboots don't always work out. So get over it "DJ" and go find work that you're actually good at!

Anyways, although I hate "Hollywood" 99% of the time, if what I'm hearing this week is true (and I'm sure that I'll never know for certain), Roseanne was even 'crankier' this time around and was difficult to work with again on set. So while I don't feel that a "Connor Family" show will work based off of "Roseanne", I do hope that most of the actors land positions soon (excluding Sara Gilbert who is a better talk show host than actor and "DJ"). I honestly believe this ship has sailed!
Who doesn't change their home and furnishings throughout the years?

A lot of people. Me. My parents didn't because they had bought some great stuff that held up over the years. And a lot of people without money. I thought using the same set was realistic and added to the charm of the program. So many people are worse off financially than 25 years ago or still struggling and this show spoke to them. I really hope that the new show sticks with the blue collar theme and current economic climate. Most of the shows currently on TV depict characters that are financially secure or live unrealistically based on their fictional jobs.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:51 AM

12,064 posts, read 5,682,869 times
My mother used the same furniture except for a bed from the time she was married until she died. The same afghan was not on the back of the couch forever though, lol, though there was one.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:15 PM

4,523 posts, read 2,120,277 times
HDL - have to agree on the acting - Sarah is better on TV - could never stand DJ and liked the first Becky better than the 2nd but didn't consider her acting better.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:02 PM

2,276 posts, read 1,014,809 times
Default ABC is now filming the new Roseanne spinoff starting fall 2018.

I don't think the show, without Roseanne Barr, will be as interesting and popular. The show brought back Dan Conner and now they are killing off Roseanne Conner.

Both Husband And Wife made the show a hit. Now I guess it's probably all about the kids.

I will watch, but I hope the family will give respect to Roseanne Barr's character. She was after all addicted to pain pills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BMhKFNoG94

Old 07-26-2018, 06:20 AM

7,207 posts, read 7,679,854 times
The Conners - Roseanne Spinoff

Old 07-26-2018, 06:39 AM

27,783 posts, read 45,349,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
I don't think the show, without Roseanne Barr, will be as interesting and popular. The show brought back Dan Conner and now they are killing off Roseanne Conner.

Both Husband And Wife made the show a hit. Now I guess it's probably all about the kids.

I will watch, but I hope the family will give respect to Roseanne Barr's character. She was after all addicted to pain pills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BMhKFNoG94
Actually I think the real Roseanne Barr is addicted to something...Ambien perhaps...

This revival might be a case where the leftovers make a better dish than the original--
John Goodman and Lauri Metcalf certainly are better actors than Barr and w/o her to overwhelm the story some good could come out of this story line---beleaguered family struggling to keep their heads and hearts above water in modern America...

Old 07-26-2018, 06:44 AM

27,783 posts, read 45,349,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
I think every sit com needs a main character to hold things together and pave the way for the show to go. I don't think Darlene is right for this, nor Dan, nor Jackie. I truly believe this attempt will flop before it even has a chance. JMHO

You have to admit Goodman and Metcalf are way better actors than Barr who only played herself--
Interesting for some but unpalatable for others
I think this show--depending on the writing--has a decent chance
The story of a beleaguered family (especially if they show Barr dying by medical malpractice or effect of opioid addition alluded to in cancelled show) trying to keep heads and hearts above water can be appealing...
To viewers of either political POV--

Old 07-26-2018, 08:46 AM

3,673 posts, read 4,279,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Thanks for linking. I'm having trouble keeping up with all 420 threads on Rosanne.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV