Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 03:36 PM

17,406 posts, read 14,970,649 times

Advertisements

I don't think this will work.. Now.. I said the same thing about the Roseanne revival WITH Roseanne, and I was pleasantly surprised.

but.. The issue that I see here.. Everyone knows why Roseanne isn't there.. But.. How will they handle that on the show? They have the perfect opportunity that she died after the surgery.. Tailor made there.. But.. I believe I heard that since Roseanne retains her rights to the character, they can't kill her off.

So.. How do they deal with her absence? Just say she's taking care of her mother? Don't think that will work. Divorced? Not believable. The only way they can handle it that works at all is with a wink and nod to the audience.. Put her in a coma or something like that. Suck way to handle it, but about the only way they can. or, just have Darlene on her own and Dan comes by sometimes.. But the Darlene character, no disrespect to Melissa Gilbert, can't carry a show. My opinion, obviously.

I think people are right.. Monster ratings out of the chute.. Probably back up there at the 20 million number.. And then a sharp falloff.. Down below the 10 million or so that S10 pulled at the end.

I probably will watch the first episode or two out of a morbid curiosity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 03:56 PM

23,885 posts, read 32,184,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCviaMD View Post
I loved Darlene's character on the original run of the show. I was the smart a** in my family too so I could relate to her character. In the new one, she's so blah and passive and doesn't land the jokes like she did back in the day.
My exact thoughts. This mature, toned down Darlene may not have what it takes to hold the show together.

I also enjoyed the interaction between Dan and Roseanne. That was present in both the first show, and the re-boot. Obviously, it will not be in :The Conners".

I also predict good rating on the first couple of shows. After that, it will depend upon how well the show is written. I love all of the supporting cast, and they are great comedic actors, but I can see them working best as an ensemble cast, then with Darlene as she now is, as the central character. At least as Darlene is written presently.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:23 PM

11,565 posts, read 12,583,757 times
They may surprise us and come up with a joke to explain Roseanne's absence. They kidded us about Dan's death.

If this show is a hit, then in a couple of years, maybe Roseanne will be back with the show. You just never know.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:32 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,630,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Can't Roseanne be forgiven? She said some words that were hurtful. She has apologized several times. Others have done and said far worse thru the years. People forgive and go on. I feel the Media or whomever wanted Roseanne ruined. It never had to reach the level it went to.
It actually was childish, and America has become completely self righteous. The woman the comment was made about, should have accepted the apology. If it were me. I never would have wanted 200 people losing their job, because I was insulted by one person.
The new show will pull in the viewers initially. Without Roseanne I doubt it will survive.
Truly, I feel so sorry for Roseanne. It is extremely cold and heartless to give everyone EXCEPT FOR HER their own show and blatantly exclude her from it.

It's plain to see that the TV company didn't want a bad reputation by hiring someone who made a fiery comment.

Roseanne can join Billy Bush as people who made bad comments that derailed their careers. Sad, really, that people we see on TV must be perfect. It's not like they slept with all their co-workers, sheesh.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:38 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,184,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
But.. I believe I heard that since Roseanne retains her rights to the character, they can't kill her off.
While we're not privy to all the details, as I saw it reported, she signed away her rights (for a fee) to everything.

They can kill her or do anything else they want.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:38 PM

21,397 posts, read 10,454,460 times
Quote:
Can't Roseanne be forgiven? She said some words that were hurtful. She has apologized several times. Others have done and said far worse thru the years. People forgive and go on. I feel the Media or whomever wanted Roseanne ruined. It never had to reach the level it went to.
It actually was childish, and America has become completely self righteous. The woman the comment was made about, should have accepted the apology. If it were me. I never would have wanted 200 people losing their job, because I was insulted by one person.
The new show will pull in the viewers initially. Without Roseanne I doubt it will survive.
I agree, on everything. It’s sad that people are so unforgiving these days. I believe she is truly sorry. And I also think this show will bomb.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCviaMD View Post
I loved Darlene's character on the original run of the show. I was the smart a** in my family too so I could relate to her character. In the new one, she's so blah and passive and doesn't land the jokes like she did back in the day.
The only time I liked her was when she was in scenes with Roseanne. Those two played off each other really well. If this whole reboot was just her and her family, with Dan and Roseanne and Jackie dropping in every once in a while, I think it would have been a good show. Now? I don’t know.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Let's see:

John Goodman has consistently acted professionally for more than 30 years. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000422/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1 He has appeared in many Oscar winning and cult favorite films. He is beloved in the acting community, and is well known as a really nice guy.

Laurie Metcalf has consistently acted professionally for more than 30 years. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0582418/?ref_=nv_sr_1 She was recently nominated for an Oscar. She has won two Tony awards, in addition to many other less well known awards.

Then there's the little known actor George Clooney. Wonder whatever happened to him?

The others were kids. Most of them still work professionally. None of them have turned out to be druggies or criminals, which is pretty good for child actors.

I believe quite firmly that the original Roseanne show was only successful because she was surrounded by such excellent, professional actors. (I also believe quite firmly that what she recently said wasn't racist and she shouldn't have experienced such out of proportion backlash.)

I'm surprised Goodman and Metcalf ever even wanted to get locked into a television show again; they don't need it professionally. I guess the money must be good.
Either the money was good, or they thought it would be fun to get back together with the old crew for a season or two.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:16 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,677,477 times
Quote:
She can be forgiven and she will be. The general public has a short memory. Really were it not for the hive mentality of the Twitterverse she probably would have been forgiven a lot faster. The public (aka the Twitterhive) made it clear they wanted the show to go on without her so ABC figured they had nothing to lose

Old 07-03-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
She can be forgiven and she will be. The general public has a short memory. Really were it not for the hive mentality of the Twitterverse she probably would have been forgiven a lot faster. The public (aka the Twitterhive) made it clear they wanted the show to go on without her so ABC figured they had nothing to lose
That’s pretty stupid since I doubt most of the Twitterhive even watched the show. They’ll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV