Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 04:45 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,416,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I started that one, but it wasn't holding my interest... might try again, though, if I run out of other ideas. I did like his character, so it was just the story-lines that weren't doing it for me.

I hated Longmire. The epi that got me is the one where he smeared blood on this guy's shirt and threatened to release a bear if he didn't cooperate. The guy was actually scared even though he knew Longmire was the sheriff and wouldn't actually realease the dang bear. That ticked me off and I quit watching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 04:51 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,416,659 times
Pushing Daisies and Six Feet Under are quite different but I enjoyed them both. PD is more charming and odd than SFU.

Shameless with William H Macy has tons of tortured souls.

Old 07-21-2018, 05:39 PM

11,540 posts, read 12,562,494 times
Homeland

Old 07-22-2018, 05:14 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,736,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
If I considered it slow, I wouldn’t have watched all 7 seasons.
Haha, never mind then... the question made more sense in my head, but apparently got lost in translation.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:23 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,736,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Pushing Daisies and Six Feet Under are quite different but I enjoyed them both. PD is more charming and odd than SFU.
I started watching Pushing Daisies the other night, and it's very good so far! A little annoying with the music and narrator, but I do like the characters and unique story-lines. Funny thing, though, is that throughout the whole first episode I was thinking "why does this seem so stylistically familiar?" Then I looked it up on imdb, and realized that's because it is produced by Barry Sonnenfeld... I'm a big fan of the MIB movies, so this was a good pick for me.

Quote:
Shameless with William H Macy has tons of tortured souls.
I love that show! Hoping the next season will be out soon...

Old 07-23-2018, 01:44 AM

23,426 posts, read 13,660,350 times
There is always Commander Straker of SHADO in UFO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFO_(TV_series)#SHADO

Old 07-23-2018, 08:46 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,592,773 times
Quote:
What do you all think about Oz, Prison Break, and/or The Wire? People can't seem to shut up about these, but I'm not sure they would appeal to me... I watched maybe 10 minutes of The Wire's first episode, and it seemed too "dry" and dark. I usually like dark shows, though. So???
“Oz” isn’t dark, or at least I didn’t find it so, in the traditional sense.
It’s extremely violent and pretty much everyone is tortured, but they are literally tortured, and the torturers are, for the most part, not the least bit conflicted about their actions.
I didn’t watch either of the other two shows mentioned.

Have you watched “Luther?”

Old 07-23-2018, 10:31 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,154,269 times
I really liked River. I forget if its on Netflix or Amazon

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4258440/?ref_=tt_rec_tti

Old 07-23-2018, 02:48 PM

6,457 posts, read 8,118,305 times
Leland in Twin Peaks
Richard in Boardwalk Empire (a scene featuring him is one of my favorites of all time)
Allison and Noah (plus most other characters) in The Affair
Tobias in Oz

Old 07-23-2018, 10:47 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,975,215 times
Quote:
I can’t really say why, but I’ve always been drawn to the “tortured soul” characters on TV shows... meaning those with some kind of inner turmoil, like a drug/alcohol addiction, mental health issues, or even just a bad-but-charming personality type. Examples: Dr. House, Nurse Jackie, Tony Soprano, Walter White & Pinkman, Alan from Boston Legal, Lucifer, Jack from Lost (or his Charlie character from PO5), etc.

Anyway, the point of this is that I’m kinda desperate for a “new” (to me) show to sink my teeth into - and I think what’s missing from the ones I’ve tried so far is a character like those. A few websites mentioned Sherlock as a companion/inspiration for House MD, but I’ve had trouble getting into that one. Any other suggestions? Preferably with at least 3 full seasons, and one that falls under the drama/dramedy genre.

FYI: I do streaming only, but have access to Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Tubi TV; also know how to use a few “creative” sources, so there isn’t much I can’t find.
I don't know if you're into spy/espionage shows, but there's a show from 2001 called Alias where the main character, Sydney Bristow was a tortured soul practically throughout the entire series where one thing after another would befall her. Also, the first two seasons were magic... however, after the third season the show started to slip, even though there was still a lot of good stuff on the show, and Sydney continued to be a tortured soul. Plus, this show should be on both Netflix and Hulu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV