Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 09:14 AM

4,603 posts, read 3,293,259 times

Advertisements

We've had internet + Roku for a few years now and never looked back. I subscribe to one channel = Acorn TV - because they have all the British dramas and comedies. That $49/year, or it was, anyway. We get all the news and watched the Kavanaugh hearings live just like everyone else with regular cable or satellite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 06:49 PM

11,336 posts, read 16,686,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I just bought a Samsung 55" 4k smart tv and have been looking at the streaming options. I've been a DTV customer for 15 years, and my bill is now $148.00 a month. I watch maybe 4 channels, don't get locals as DTV doesn't offer them here, so I have an OTA antenna and get the 4 channels in my area off that.

Netflix seems to have the best quality, offers 4k, but not live tv. I am NOT impressed with HULU at all, poor PQ, no channel guide and a horrible interface. I use Samsungs Fandango for movies since they have 4k. Will look into YouTube tv and see what they offer.

And since AT&T took over DTV I hate their web page, it's impossible to navigate and change anything. I enter my zip code and get a popup Directv service isn't available in your area.

Anyway I didn't think I would enjoy having a smart tv so much, my internet it one of those microwave dish link things but I get no lag or drop outs so I am surprised with it all.

Fun to see what's out there other than DTV or Dish or cable (not offered where I live).

So much for YouTubetv- Sorry, YouTube TV is currently not available in this area.
Check out Playstation Vue with Locals for $44.99 a month.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:55 PM
ERH

1,699 posts, read 2,527,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
For me.. It was the one that made the most sense. College Football time rolls around, I get all the games. Hockey season, I get MOST if not all the games.. And the price is right. As with anything.. YMMV. What works for me might not be your cup of tea. And, I'm still locked in to the $35/mo.. I'm sure eventually it will go up
I am trying a Sling Blue trial at the moment, but I'm interested in YouTubeTV. Which hockey games are you getting -- Canes? What happens if you travel out of market? Do you still get Fox Sports Carolinas, or do you get the local Fox channel? That's what happened to me; I'm registered using my NC address, but since I'm in FL for a few weeks, Sling defaulted to the local Fox channel, which doesn't show Canes games. I need to be able to take my Canes games with me, because I travel a lot!

Old 10-30-2018, 07:03 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,688,084 times
I haven’t cut the cord yet but am setting the stage to do so.

I am currently doing a seven-day trial with Philo via Roku.
Picked it because it’s $16.00 per month and they just added all three Hallmark channels.
They also include DVR capability and OnDemand within three days of airing.
They don’t have any sports channels or locals but I have other options for those. I bought an OTA antenna that picks up around 40 channels and I’ll probably do YouTubeTV as needed for the big tennis tournaments. I already subscribe to TennisTV.

Nice interface, the ability to watch shows from the beginning if they’ve already started and all for $16.00!

I expect I’ll keep it.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:31 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,245,895 times
I have Comcast/Xfinity for my Internet. Every time I cut the cord they dangle a basic TV package in front of me with a premium channel tossed in at the same price or slightly less than just the price for just Internet. The trade off is a 1 year commitment.

Old 10-30-2018, 11:22 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,416,047 times
Comcast does the same to me. They did it some many times I finally gave in when they add HBO and ShowTime for $1. In 2 months, I'm going to cancel cable and internet service for a few days. That's when they usually call to sign back up at a discount. Then I'll only sign up for the internet only since my special with the premium channels is ending.

Old 10-30-2018, 12:26 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,748,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copymutt View Post
If you shop Amazon, ck into Prime. This updates you to free shipping on all purchases as well as their streaming service. Huge offering, but not sure it covers your desires. For under one time $50.00 there is also Apple TV. Again a huge offering of streamed channels. No monthly fees for a lot of them. You must have good internet speed for both.
"Good internet speed" being around 6mbps per simultaneous HD viewer, 12-14mbps per 4K viewer. Note that viewers on small devices either use or won't notice much smaller data rates. Meaning few households use over about 10mpbs and nearly all can do fine with 24-25mpbs - which is either the economy tier or superseded by a higher "basic" speed. The number of houses that need more than 25-40 is a very small percentage.

Unless you're on a really old/retro provider, never pay extra for higher speeds. It's 99% marketing shuck and essentially free revenue for them.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:45 PM

256 posts, read 68,913 times
When all of you fine folks did cut the cord as I'm about to do with Cox here in suburban Phoenix for Hulu, YouTubeTV or whatever I decide on, did you also return their router and buy a new one from Amazon, Best Buy or another retailer to minimize the possibility of buffering?

If you did, which router did you buy and why?

Thanks!

Old 02-15-2019, 08:56 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,688,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv201 View Post
When all of you fine folks did cut the cord as I'm about to do with Cox here in suburban Phoenix for Hulu, YouTubeTV or whatever I decide on, did you also return their router and buy a new one from Amazon, Best Buy or another retailer to minimize the possibility of buffering?

If you did, which router did you buy and why?

Thanks!
I didn't return the router I rent from Xfinity. It doesn't cost that much a month and if anything goes wrong with it, they replace it no questions asked.

I don't have issues with buffering. I have very stable Wifi connections.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:19 AM

439 posts, read 424,846 times
We are also planning on doing this and I was wondering about purchasing a router. I'm not sure we could configure it correctly. So I might get it through FIOS or Comcast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV