Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2018, 09:39 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times

Advertisements

Just found this OnDemand on the Starz channel--
Don't usually watch that but was searching for something

Historical drama about Maximillian Holy Roman Emporer.
Starts w/ Marie of Burgandy, richest heiress in Europe after the death of her father Charles the Bold at battle of Nancy, who becomes a prize to be won by various ruling houses
Maximilian, crown prince of Austria, obviously wins her hand since his name titles the series
But their marriage was short lived--she died in horse/hunting accident after just a few years
Not sure how long series will cover in his life--

I don't know if the real Marie and Maximilliam were as good looking as the actors...
Will have to check out some historical portraits...

Just stated E1
Subtitled so you have to watch the screen, can't just listen...

But missing Game of Thrones and this has armour, castles, and dastardly intrigue...so will check it out...

Last edited by loves2read; 07-26-2018 at 10:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 06:47 PM

No one likes historical dramas?
Or is it the closed captions/subtitles?

Old 07-26-2018, 08:29 PM

324 posts, read 331,021 times
Love historical dramas , have too many projects going on to be able to read it, so will check it out when I have time.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:58 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Hmm, I never heard of this. I usually try every series that comes out on the premium channels (HBO, Starz, etc), at least one episode to see if I might like it. I don't remember this at all on Starz.

I don't have access to Starz-OD, so can't watch it there.

PS: Subtitles don't faze me at all. I watch with captions all the time.

Let us know how it is as you keep watching.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:14 AM

I don't follow Starz much--don't watch Outlander--too much rape for me--so don't know if this is supposed to be playing on Starz soon or why it showed up on the list of miniseries

I finished it yesterday--watched all 6 episodes pretty much back to back
I thought it was excellent
The actors, sets, direction are for most part very realistic and compelling.
The storyline seems to follow historical fact pretty faithfully...
One of the subplots w/Maximillian's "chamberlain"/best friend might be added to pad the plot but it is well done too

Some aspects are not maybe as historically true as they might be--
For example my reading tells me that in marriages of anyone of rank, the bedding ceremony happens in front of witnesses--
Both parties have to be naked to show there are no physical deformities that might be used later to try to annul the marriage--
There is a birth of important child--
I have read that some women in nobility actually birthed (using a birthing chair--common at that era) in public with witnesses to testify to the sex of the child and its health--
In case there was gossip a switch was made, usually a girl for a boy heir...

Trial by combat was also an option I thought in this era if someone wanted to use that vs conventional testimony...

All in all, I enjoyed it very much
The actor playing Maximillian had role in "Berlin Station", a modern espionage series. I watched most episodes but didn't remember him...
Some of the others I have seen because I do watch foreign series but didn't really see anyone I knew that well.

This series was filmed in 2016 and guess there was not enough interest to do additional ones w/later segments of Maximillian's rule....he did "change the world" as he promised Maria but likely the one thing he would have wanted to change he could not...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV