Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2018, 10:28 PM

202 posts, read 1,018,240 times

Advertisements

Hi,

This is some questions I have about satellite TV systems. If you know anything about them, then read on.

For anyone that knows anything about the old 1980's era C-band satellite dish TV receiver systems (that's the old, extra large dish receiver antenna's) that were originally analog but now days apparently can also receive in digital mode as well. Can C-band signals also be picked up on the smaller Ku and Ka-band dish's and receiver equipment in a kind of simulcast transmission mode?
If I remember right from my prior research, Ku and Ka band dishes sit somewhere in size between the giant C-band dish's and the the newer digital house roof-mounted mini-dishes maybe 18-inch's or so across in size.

Also; how does the new digital receiver box and system as a whole work with the older, analog giant C-band satellite dish?

Thank you for any help

Last edited by Punchy71; 07-29-2018 at 11:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 05:07 PM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
I can only say - be careful. DN and DTV are on a hunt and very successful.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:16 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,130,500 times
I used to install those C-band dishes back in the early 90's. By then, most of them had dual band C/Ku LNB's. Ku won't work with the older fiberglass dish, but any wire mesh C-band dish (with less than 5mm holes) will work, if it's not damaged. There are companies that still make large dishes, and others which make converter kits to switch out the LNB with a universal/digital type LNB, which can pick up both types, setting the focal point for them might take a little effort, the sellers might have more info on that, might not be that hard.

Ranier Satellite is back up for very limited C-band subscription programming, and some free channels on C-band but the main use for C-band now is for TV stations and cable companies to pick up scrambled network feeds from C-band, then decode and distribute. Dish & Direct TV get their feeds from C-band too. They still use C-band because even a weaker signal will stay up under heavy rain, using a 12 or 15 foot dish. People with digital receivers sometimes use a big ugly dish (BUD), to avoid rain fade, or if they live near the edge of the footprint signal, for whatever satellite they are trying to receive. Canadians often use these to get American TV, and signal strength for American TV in Alaska is weaker than the lower 48, so they are more common up there too. Many parts of the world still use C-band for subscription services or FTA channels.

The new encryption technology with digital or C-band subscription is much more solid than it was 10 years ago. If you want good channels, you're gonna pay for them, the glory days of mass TV piracy are gone now. I would guess a lot of that still goes on with internet streaming, but not real informed on the methods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV