Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2018, 08:44 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times

Advertisements

I just saw this show up on Hulu a week or so ago
It starts w/S10---not from the very beginning--and has maybe 10 seasons available

I have seen some of the seasons before on BBC and YouTube including the first 5 or so and apparently it is not carried on any other streaming service--not Acorn or Netlfix
Amazon had some to buy at one time
So it was pleasant surprise--it's not Downtown Abbey great--or even Bones--but watchable

If you aren't familiar with it, there are 3 main characters who are forensic pathologists--work for an Institute in London--they spend more time actually investigating the crimes--not just examining the bodies--
Nikki, Harry, and their boss -- I forget his name (and not looking anything up)
There have been several iterations of leads over time--
Think Nikki is the only one who is in most current iteration
She knows a cush job when she sees it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 09:59 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I just saw this show up on Hulu a week or so ago
It starts w/S10---not from the very beginning--and has maybe 10 seasons available

I have seen some of the seasons before on BBC and YouTube including the first 5 or so and apparently it is not carried on any other streaming service--not Acorn or Netlfix.
Amazon had some to buy at one time
So it was pleasant surprise--it's not Downtown Abbey great--or even Bones--but watchable

If you aren't familiar with it, there are 3 main characters who are forensic pathologists--work for an Institute in London--they spend more time actually investigating the crimes--not just examining the bodies--
Nikki, Harry, and their boss -- I forget his name (and not looking anything up)
There have been several iterations of leads over time--
Think Nikki is the only one who is in most current iteration
She knows a cush job when she sees it...
Thanks for this. I have a subscription to Hulu and having (finally) finished "New Tricks" was looking for something new to watch.

I watched series 20 and 21 when they aired live - they were good for the most part, though frustrating in places.
Not "Waking the Dead" good, but certainly watchable.

It is spread out over several streaming services.

BritBox has series 21.
Amazon Prime still has eleven seasons available for purchase - seasons 1(!)-5 and 17-21.

Fun fact: Emilia Fox ("Nikki") is Laurence Fox's ("Lewis," "The Frankenstein Chronicles") cousin.

Old 08-03-2018, 11:00 AM

I don't like it enough to buy it really
I bought one season toward the middle years because I started watching it on BBC w/Tunnelbear and then had trouble linking to BBC

And yes--"Waking the Dead" was better

I am going to check out BritBox--
I guess that is what BBC was advertising as its web link presence--but it has ITV series as well

Acorn I have but I get really frustrated with the lack of new programming that comes on there
It has had three good new mystery series this year (my preferred genre) but has so many older shows that it has carried for years...
I guess it doesn't have the money to put into programming that larger sites can...

Old 08-03-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
I don't like it enough to buy it really
I bought one season toward the middle years because I started watching it on BBC w/Tunnelbear and then had trouble linking to BBC

And yes--"Waking the Dead" was better

I am going to check out BritBox--
I guess that is what BBC was advertising as its web link presence--but it has ITV series as well

Acorn I have but I get really frustrated with the lack of new programming that comes on there
It has had three good new mystery series this year (my preferred genre) but has so many older shows that it has carried for years...
I guess it doesn't have the money to put into programming that larger sites can...
I agree about Acorn TV. Much of what they’ve added recently seems ancient. I did enjoy “Hidden” and am looking forward to the new season of “No Offence” but it’s slim pickings for mysteries otherwise.

Obviously there is a ton of competition now for British shows, so much so that it’s now common to see them show up in U.S. cable channels - thinking of things like “The A-Word,” “The Split,” and “C.B. Strike.”
Used to be able to count on getting shows like that on Acorn or, if on cable, on BBCA. Now they’re spread out all over.

BritBox is okay. They definitely have more new stuff than does Acorn outside of the shows that Acorn has commissioned directly, like the new season of “Agatha Raisin.”
BritBox has a sequel to “The Bletchley Circle” that they commissioned that just started. They also have the first season of the new “Maigret” with Rowan Atkinson which I enjoyed a lot.

It frustrates me no end to have shows like “Vera” split across streaming platforms.
I’m curious to see what, if any, impact the recent sale of Acorn to AMC will have on their buying power.

Old 08-03-2018, 01:57 PM

I guess I had read that Acorn was bought by AMC
AMC is losing "Walking Dead"
Going to be hard pressed to come up with someone as primo

I saw the followup to Bletchley Circle on Amazon several years ago so would enjoy something based on that
The female lead in Bletchley had a series on Acorn--forget the name--but I couldn't get interested in it
Don't care for Rowan Atkinson much at all
My sister likes "Agatha Rasin"--
One reason I keep Acorn subscription is for her--get a Roku for her and use my signon...

Will check out BritBox
Think that is on Roku...

Old 08-03-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
I guess I had read that Acorn was bought by AMC
AMC is losing "Walking Dead"
Going to be hard pressed to come up with someone as primo

I saw the followup to Bletchley Circle on Amazon several years ago so would enjoy something based on that
The female lead in Bletchley had a series on Acorn--forget the name--but I couldn't get interested in it
Don't care for Rowan Atkinson much at all
My sister likes "Agatha Rasin"--
One reason I keep Acorn subscription is for her--get a Roku for her and use my signon...

Will check out BritBox
Think that is on Roku...
Yes, I access BritBox via my Roku.

Old 08-03-2018, 04:28 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,706,217 times
I loved Mum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV