Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 02:23 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times

Advertisements

Castaways debuted last night on ABC. I slogged through the first 30 minutes then turned it off. Anyone else catch this original concept of a tv reality show?

https://abc.go.com/shows/castaways
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 02:42 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,586 times
I watched. I hadn't heard anything about it before last night but thought I'd give it a try flipping channels not wanting to go to bed yet. At first I figured it would just be a Survivor ripoff, but was glad to see it wasn't. It's more like a tamed down version of Naked and Afraid. I'll give it a few more episodes, assuming I can stay up past 10. I do wonder how much "survival" will come into play as the show progresses, last night really just seemed to focus on the emotional issues of all the participants, which may or may not be entertaining in the long run.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:07 AM

5,884 posts, read 6,953,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
I watched. I hadn't heard anything about it before last night but thought I'd give it a try flipping channels not wanting to go to bed yet. At first I figured it would just be a Survivor ripoff, but was glad to see it wasn't. It's more like a tamed down version of Naked and Afraid. I'll give it a few more episodes, assuming I can stay up past 10. I do wonder how much "survival" will come into play as the show progresses, last night really just seemed to focus on the emotional issues of all the participants, which may or may not be entertaining in the long run.

They started the show with an on-screen quote, just like Alone does, so I thought it was going to be a rip-off of that show. The survival part seems to be a minor element. Will more stuff wash up on the beach if they start starving?

I did think the twist of finding someone else's supplies was interesting, until they started reading their personal stuff. It looked like everyone was told to bring something like that.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:21 AM

2,478 posts, read 2,700,228 times
Seems a bit contrived or overly produced. Alone was awesome in its rawness.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:04 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,541 times
This show is beyond boring. Two episodes in and nothing has happened. I’m out.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:45 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,786,973 times
Hmmmm….I guess I'm the only one watching the show now ??? And I'm actually liking it !

The only problem that I have with the show is not knowing what the financial motivation is for folks to do this? What's in it monetarily for them? I haven't read anywhere that they win X amount for lasting the longest out there, so I'm wondering why this detail of the show is never discussed? Why keep that aspect of the show a secret?

It's rather interesting to me that the overweight man Robbie and the young female singer from Nashville area Kenzi are way more kind and generous with their food than Richard and Sawyer are in their treatment of Matt regarding food. Not sure how things will end next Tuesday night, but kind of sad to see how selfish Richard and Sawyer are currently being.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castaways_(TV_series)

Old 09-13-2018, 10:57 AM

I caught up on Hulu. I enjoy the show, it's a different take as there really doesn't seem to be any motivation other than just saying "I made it (We made it!)" I like that there's no competition, just folks trying to see how long they can go. I also appreciate that it's really about the emotional and spiritual journey they each go through and how they use the relationships they develop on the islands to contemplate their relationships back at home.

I am a bit confused about the continuity of the show. It seems like they skipped a bunch of stuff. In the preview at the end of episode 6 they show Matt attempting to swim over to fish camp, but episode 7 starts with him already there and the other 2, Sawyer and (I forget) leaving to search out other people. Then it ends with them being rescued and a little update on how life has been since the show. I'm not really sure what else could make up the 3 more episodes listed on wikipedia. I could see a reunion but at best thats only 1 show. Perhaps Hulu has a condensed version.

Old 09-13-2018, 11:29 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,541 times
So boring. I watch first few episodes and lost interest. Tried to watch third episode and couldn’t make it through. There is no rhyme or reason to this show.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:49 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,786,973 times
ecvMatt, I'm confused by your post. I saw episode 6 on Tuesday and episode 7 on Wednesday on ABC. On episode 7 Matt swam over to where Robbie and Kenzie are at (is that what you're referring to as fish camp?). They showed him leaving Richard and Sawyer and his struggle to swim to one island and then to the island where Robbie and Kenzie are at.

On the 'preview' for episode 8 on Monday Sept 17th, they show Matt back with Richard and Sawyer and him talking about that he should have stayed at the other place (with Robbie and Kenzie if she didn't quit before Matt swam back). So for those of us watching on ABC and not Hulu, we have not yet seen where Richard and Sawyer leave their island in search of other castaways. Maybe you missed episode 7 on Hulu and actually saw episode 8???

6 - "My True Rescue" September 11, 2018

7 - "Is It Worth It?" September 12, 2018

8 - "Hindsight" September 17, 2018

9 - "The Search" September 17, 2018

10 - "We Got This" September 18, 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
I caught up on Hulu. I enjoy the show, it's a different take as there really doesn't seem to be any motivation other than just saying "I made it (We made it!)" I like that there's no competition, just folks trying to see how long they can go. I also appreciate that it's really about the emotional and spiritual journey they each go through and how they use the relationships they develop on the islands to contemplate their relationships back at home.

I am a bit confused about the continuity of the show. It seems like they skipped a bunch of stuff. In the preview at the end of episode 6 they show Matt attempting to swim over to fish camp, but episode 7 starts with him already there and the other 2, Sawyer and (I forget) leaving to search out other people. Then it ends with them being rescued and a little update on how life has been since the show. I'm not really sure what else could make up the 3 more episodes listed on wikipedia. I could see a reunion but at best thats only 1 show. Perhaps Hulu has a condensed version.

Old 09-13-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL View Post
ecvMatt, I'm confused by your post. I saw episode 6 on Tuesday and episode 7 on Wednesday on ABC. On episode 7 Matt swam over to where Robbie and Kenzie are at (is that what you're referring to as fish camp?). They showed him leaving Richard and Sawyer and his struggle to swim to one island and then to the island where Robbie and Kenzie are at.

On the 'preview' for episode 8 on Monday Sept 17th, they show Matt back with Richard and Sawyer and him talking about that he should have stayed at the other place (with Robbie and Kenzie if she didn't quit before Matt swam back). So for those of us watching on ABC and not Hulu, we have not yet seen where Richard and Sawyer leave their island in search of other castaways. Maybe you missed episode 7 on Hulu and actually saw episode 8???

6 - "My True Rescue" September 11, 2018

7 - "Is It Worth It?" September 12, 2018

8 - "Hindsight" September 17, 2018

9 - "The Search" September 17, 2018

10 - "We Got This" September 18, 2018
I think Hulu, or ABC, may have screwed up. I just checked, and now it only shows 6 episodes available, but I watched a seventh this morning, that seemed to be the finale. It showed the remaining castaways being rescued and a brief segment on what they were doing after the show. I guess the wrong show got released to Hulu and has since been pulled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV