Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2018, 06:43 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,270,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
Yes, but remember that if it's a big production number or a "live" singing guest who has a lot of production, those are usually filmed just prior to the actual live show. Of two of the three shows I've been to, there was early shooting just before (show is live at 5 PM PT and you have to be there by 3 PM and seated shortly thereafter0. One was a big production number and the other was singing by someone (can't remember his name) with multiple dancers of his own and they moved part of the crowd down to the dance floor around his stage.

Still watching the DVR, but I do love Demarcus Ware. Grocery Store Joe - love you but hate that girlfriend. WTF was she doing in the package. Sit in the audience and shut up.

Agree w/whomever said they don't like Tinashe.
Interesting info, I wonder if the “live” band plays when actual original singer is heard,
like last night with the song “New York, New York”...it featured Frank Sinatra’s actual vocal,
does the band sync up to vocal track or band doesn’t play and it is all prerecorded?
A lot of famous popular songs on the show it is a just a “sound alike” vocal (or as close as possible)
and everything is live.

The judging scores were a bit off last night, as was the praise.
For example, Mary Lou Retton was scored a bit low.

Yes, that Joe the Grocer guy is no dancer but is good looking and very popular,
he should go but won’t, blind girl too was not so good either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 07:46 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
LOL I like Grocery Store Joe, too. His dancing is a little stiff. It's contestants like him that I'd like to see improve enough to actually win, (rather than those who employ the cheap thrill of lifts and rolls), but they usually get voted off before they get that chance.

Demarcus has been impressive already. I had no idea who he was until I looked him up when the cast was announced, but what a set of guns on him. Wow!

Old 10-02-2018, 08:15 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
I was like "awwwwww......" when Mary Lou said she "felt pretty!" Poor thing realizes that she didn't grow up to be very pretty. I keep thinking it looks like her teeth don't fit in her mouth.

So many "stars" should have gotten higher scores and some should have had lower.

The problem I had with the lifts last night was there aren't supposed to be any, according to Carrie Ann. I heard one pro say something to the effect "my toe was still on the floor!" I think they should just get rid of the rule, let them lift all they want! What's the big deal?

Old 10-02-2018, 08:20 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,415,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
The problem I had with the lifts last night was there aren't supposed to be any, according to Carrie Ann. I heard one pro say something to the effect "my toe was still on the floor!" I think they should just get rid of the rule, let them lift all they want! What's the big deal?
They can't get rid of it because it's a ploy they use to mark down a contestant when it suits their purposes.

Was their any Charleston in John's dance? I was surprised at the praise for a dance where I saw little of the dance. I actually thought that dance was a mess. Broadway, yes, but Charleston?

Old 10-02-2018, 08:23 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
Another thing I've always said is that the producers tell the judges how to score the performances. It's good for water-cooler talk if the judges score higher or lower than everyone thinks they should.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:30 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
[BThey can't get rid of it because it's a ploy they use to mark down a contestant when it suits their purposes. [b]

Was their any Charleston in John's dance? I was surprised at the praise for a dance where I saw little of the dance. I actually thought that dance was a mess. Broadway, yes, but Charleston?

Exactly. Carrie Ann has considered herself to be the "lift police" going way back, but she's inconsistent. Soon, this might just as well be a gymnastics competition. As it is, their routines are very short.

And I agree about that "charleston," but I blame the pro. Anything goes, I guess.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:38 AM

I'm sure the reason the routines are very short in the first few episodes is that it's easier for the stars to learn fewer steps in a routine -- also because the timing of the show doesnt allow for a long routine when there are so many contestants. As the season goes on, the routines become longer.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:17 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
IIRC, the dances used to be MUCH longer....a whole song's worth. I am talking back in the beginning. I also don't remember as many couples.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:55 AM

The first season there were only 6 couples. Since then there have always been at least 10, often 12 or 13.

You can see all the competitors over the years and how they placed here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o....)_competitors

Old 10-02-2018, 10:22 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,719,927 times
Re the lifts - it's a producers' rule. From CAI's blog a couple of years ago:

The producers have had this rule in place since the first season. I know it upsets people but it is a rule. I think there is some confusion on what a lift is: according to the National Dance Council of America Rule Book, “A lift is any movement during which one of the dancers has both feet off the floor at the same time with the assistance or support of their partner.” They can’t do lifts in any of the standard dances or the Latin dances, but lifts are allowed in Jazz, Contemporary, Charleston, Salsa, Argentine Tango and the non-ballroom dances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV