U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 04:36 PM

2,583 posts, read 927,156 times

Advertisements

The producers of Modern Family said a "significant character" will pass away this year. The internet thinks DeeDee or Frank.
Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 05:05 PM

880 posts, read 417,198 times
Noooooo
I’ll be watching

Old 09-14-2018, 05:12 PM

5,902 posts, read 6,351,297 times
Looks like they’re desperate to pull in more viewers to prevent the death of the entire show.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:15 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,364,838 times
IMHO, Modern Family is The Best sitcom/ tv show ever created--for a few seasons. Once Gloria character had a baby I knew the end was near. How many times have we seen a really good tv show die once a baby is introduced.

Now-as to who may be killed off- Yea, I go with Frank or DeeDee. But certainly no main character.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:48 PM

4,128 posts, read 2,710,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
Once Gloria character had a baby I knew the end was near. How many times have we seen a really good tv show die once a baby is introduced.
I thought there's a whole list of things, like weddings, babies, deaths, etc. that show a series is on the decline or grasping at straws trying to stay afloat, it's quite common in the TV industry. Maybe it was called the "Jumping the Shark" list or something?

I enjoyed Modern Family earlier on, when most of the characters were still kids or at least played kids or teens; it's hard for a show with children actors to make it over a long run, so I applaud them for making it to 210 episodes and 9 seasons, but they should have stopped after last season or even after the 6th season.

Heck, didn't the show win 5 straight Emmy's for outstanding comedy series, its first 5 years it was on, has a show ever done that before?

Old 09-15-2018, 07:04 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,193,367 times
One of the funniest sitcoms ever, and groundbreaking when it first started. I remember watching the pilot the night it aired, and it wasn't until the end that we (the audience) realized it was one family. While several other sitcoms were single-cam, or broke the fourth wall, Modern Family was unique in the way it was put together and filmed. The large ensemble, perfectly cast. The mockumentary style. And of course the incredibly sharp writing. All combined to make it an instant success. I've got lots of friends who are casual TV watchers, and many of them watched MF.

I would say several things led to its slow demise. One was the feud between the two showrunners, Christopher Lloyd and Steven Levitan. It got so bad, they started alternating writing episodes. So instead of writing these hilarious scripts together, one writes one week, the other the next week. That continues to this day.

Another is the aging of the kids. It's almost impossible to handle it well. Do you let them leave the show, or do you come up with incredibly convoluted ways to keep them involved. MF chose to keep them, and it suffered. How many times can we watch Haley or Alex leave home, then come back?

It's still a very highly rated show, and still funny. But it pales next to what it used to be, as do most long-running sitcoms. We're having this same debate over BBT.

As it stands, this upcoming season is the last one under contract. Of course ABC wants to extend it, as did CBS with BBT. But if they have any brains, they'll let it go out with style, and finish it this year.

Old 09-15-2018, 11:52 AM

7,144 posts, read 7,581,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
One of the funniest sitcoms ever, and groundbreaking when it first started. I remember watching the pilot the night it aired, and it wasn't until the end that we (the audience) realized it was one family. While several other sitcoms were single-cam, or broke the fourth wall, Modern Family was unique in the way it was put together and filmed. The large ensemble, perfectly cast. The mockumentary style. And of course the incredibly sharp writing. All combined to make it an instant success. I've got lots of friends who are casual TV watchers, and many of them watched MF.

I would say several things led to its slow demise. One was the feud between the two showrunners, Christopher Lloyd and Steven Levitan. It got so bad, they started alternating writing episodes. So instead of writing these hilarious scripts together, one writes one week, the other the next week. That continues to this day.

Another is the aging of the kids. It's almost impossible to handle it well. Do you let them leave the show, or do you come up with incredibly convoluted ways to keep them involved. MF chose to keep them, and it suffered. How many times can we watch Haley or Alex leave home, then come back?

It's still a very highly rated show, and still funny. But it pales next to what it used to be, as do most long-running sitcoms. We're having this same debate over BBT.

As it stands, this upcoming season is the last one under contract. Of course ABC wants to extend it, as did CBS with BBT. But if they have any brains, they'll let it go out with style, and finish it this year.
I would add that giving Jay and Gloria a new baby was a huge boat anchor.

They definitely didnt handle the kids aging well at all. They sent Hayley to college only to have her fail and come home. Now I believe that was done while Sarah Hyland went through her transplant but it was still a horrible way to write.

Old 09-15-2018, 04:30 PM

1,657 posts, read 873,403 times
I don't think of Frank or DeeDee as significant. According to IMDB Shelley Long has been in 7 episodes in 9 years and Fred Willard was in 12.

I think for most viewers they are barely on the radar screen.

Old 09-15-2018, 07:24 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,193,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
I would add that giving Jay and Gloria a new baby was a huge boat anchor.
Agree. Was Sofia Vergara pregnant in real life? Is that why they did that? If so, then I can understand the writers having to come up with something. But if not, I agree, big mistake. Certainly hasn't made the show better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
I don't think of Frank or DeeDee as significant. According to IMDB Shelley Long has been in 7 episodes in 9 years and Fred Willard was in 12.

I think for most viewers they are barely on the radar screen.
If one of those is the death, while it will be a significant episode, it will be considered BS as "a major character".

Old 09-15-2018, 10:13 PM

11,019 posts, read 6,565,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Agree. Was Sofia Vergara pregnant in real life? Is that why they did that? If so, then I can understand the writers having to come up with something. But if not, I agree, big mistake. Certainly hasn't made the show better.
No, she just has the one son, who is in his 20s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or