Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 08:33 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,119,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
The show started trending down in the latter Matt Smith years but he was such a great actor (the Crown) I still enjoyed it. I watched 1 or 2 Capaldi's and that was it for me. The best reboots were written and produced by Russell T Davies who is a genius. The "Dalek" episode in the 1st year is a masterpiece. The Daleks vs Cybermen was superb. Captain Jack was also a great character. I love many of the early B&W Hartnell stories, Troughton and Tom Baker (loved K9) the rest I can do without. The Moffit years killed it for me and I really can't get into it any more. I was a HUGE fan for many years.
Did anybody watch the holiday special on New Year's Eve? The overnight ratings were not impressive with only 5.15 million viewers (Doctor Who Series 11 (2018-19) UK Ratings Accumulator UPDATED | Doctor Who TV).

My gut feeling is that this new series is trying to preach and many of us do not consider ourselves in the 'flock'. All the rest of the Drs had connections with government but this one makes fun of government; like in the last episode were the new Dr could not reach anybody when she tried. It is amazing to me that her one companion (Yasmin Khans) is a police officer that has never contacted her station in any of the new episodes!

If nothing changes for the next season it will probably be the last season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 06:50 PM

6,382 posts, read 4,894,927 times
OMG, I just finished the torture of watching the first episode and it was totally derivative from the previous Doctors. The plot made no sense. The alien can teleport but it climbs up the crane at a slow speed. The alien leaves and then Grace climbs up to attack something and falls and dies for no reason since the protagonist is gone. It was like they have run out of ideas and recycled a bunch of old ones. It was so boring I had to keep looking at the clock waiting for the merciful end. If this is the best that they can do its better to cancel it and bring Russell T Davies back to write a 2 hour sendoff. Makes me appreciate the Christopher Eccleston and Tennant years and Smith to a slightly lesser degree. If they cancel it or keep it on, I could care less. Just remembering the historical episodes with Shakespeare and how good Rose was and The Master, Captain Jack this current one is totally lacking.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:02 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,119,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
OMG, I just finished the torture of watching the first episode and it was totally derivative from the previous Doctors. The plot made no sense. The alien can teleport but it climbs up the crane at a slow speed. The alien leaves and then Grace climbs up to attack something and falls and dies for no reason since the protagonist is gone. It was like they have run out of ideas and recycled a bunch of old ones. It was so boring I had to keep looking at the clock waiting for the merciful end. If this is the best that they can do its better to cancel it and bring Russell T Davies back to write a 2 hour sendoff. Makes me appreciate the Christopher Eccleston and Tennant years and Smith to a slightly lesser degree. If they cancel it or keep it on, I could care less. Just remembering the historical episodes with Shakespeare and how good Rose was and The Master, Captain Jack this current one is totally lacking.
I admit that I am a hard sell for TV and movies. If I see a program one time, in general; I do not want to see it a second time. I also do not like reworked series and movies. With science fiction there has to be some logic that could make the subject plausible. I was not like that all my life. When I first watched TV and went to the movies everything was new. Maybe we are running out of 'new' or fresh material?

All that said; I still enjoy seeing most of the old Dr Who series with only a few exceptions like when Peter Capaldi was trapped in the castle for 10,000 years and I lived every one of these years with him! Unfortunately for the new Jodie Dr I am going to wait 10,000 years before I can forget how much I disliked the new series!

Old 01-07-2019, 08:57 PM

6,382 posts, read 4,894,927 times
I just finished watching the first 4 episodes and they are awful. I have seen all of this before and done MUCH better. Chris Noth's character does not compare to Corey Johnson as Henry van Statten in "Dalek" in season 1 of the reboot IMHO. Noth is an excellent actor but the writing does him a disservice. A giant spider the "size of a van" is shot dead by a single bullet? Jodie Whittaker is giving it her best, but she is just rehashing the previous doctors. Bradley Walsh is far and away the most appealing of the companions, he would have made an excellent Doctor. He was awesome in Law and Order UK. It must get decent rating and BBC makes a bundle out of showing the previous Doctors plus it helps the BBCA channel. Its an iconic show, been around since 1963 and far and away the most popular show the BBC has ever made.

Last edited by Thundarr457; 01-07-2019 at 09:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV