Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 09:31 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times

Advertisements

George is so annoying. Now that he again suspects Poldark as being George's son's real father, something's bound to happen....

That duel, was it in the book? It seemed very stupid of Ross, I'd have thought the character had much better judgement.

Or could have been an addition to the soap-like story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 09:53 AM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
The duel was part of the book. They left out a lot of the circumstances about it. Monk Adderly's (sp?) assault on Demelza in her room was more graphic than what was depicted, but in the book and in the first series, Demelza was more of a feisty character than in this newer series; she was able to hold her own against him and really sent him off with his tail between his legs.

Old 01-07-2019, 03:09 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
We finally saw the last two epis of season 4. SPOILER ALERT

It seems to me season 4 was more about the relationships. We saw the continuing fallout from both Ross’s and Demelza’s straying. We already knew that Demelza worried about Ross’s night with Elizabeth, and his continued feelings for her. Then, we got Ross’s suppressed anger about Demelza’s dalliance. He shot an awful man, wishing it was really the young man who had seduced Demelza.

But now, somehow, they have recovered their equilibrium.

Of course, Ross does not know that Elizabeth had taken his advice about a pregnancy that ultimately killed her. She could not hide her pregnancy for as long as she needed, so she procured what I think was ergot to induce labor early. And then died from gangrene.

One thing that stood out to me was how dependent everyone was on their “betters.” Ross offers to resign his Parliament seat to Lord “whatshisname” but is allowed to keep it. He got his seat to begin with because of favor he had from two powerful members of the upper class. Women are dependent in their menfolk. Lower classes are dependent on mine owners or landowners. The way you ascend in class is to become powerful and wealthy, in order to become influential.

It seems hard for people to get far in the world without some sort of patronage.

To us Poldark seems to be a well produced, gorgeous, historical soap opera. We enjoyed it.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:03 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
British shows are always shown there before we get them here.

You can't (safely) read anything on the internet until you're done with the season.

Old 09-28-2019, 11:13 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,777,621 times
Poldark Season 5 (the final season) starts tomorrow, September 29, on PBS. I'll be watching, even though I was kind of frustrated with it during Season 4. The production values, scenery, costuming all make it worthwhile for me even if I've come to dislike some of the characters.

Old 09-29-2019, 12:08 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
I have had a sticky note on the tv for a loooong time. Sept 29th is here at last. I binge watched season 4 a long time ago and now I can't remember what was going on. But the scenery, costumes, and Poldark himself, of course make it worthwhile anyway.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:30 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,083,784 times
My wife watches the show all the time. I occasionally catch a few scenes. I think the show could be summed up in a 5 minute clip of the guy riding his horse on a beach from left to right, followed by the same guy riding his horse on a beach from right to left. Repeat. Repeat, and keep repeating for 5 minutes.

Old 09-30-2019, 09:51 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,347,630 times
I liked last nights episode a lot. But i did think Demelza leaving for London right after the house fire and leaving that girl, who threatened her, was really stupid.

Poor George... What goes around come around and now he is going crazy.

Old 09-30-2019, 01:49 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
My wife watches the show all the time. I occasionally catch a few scenes. I think the show could be summed up in a 5 minute clip of the guy riding his horse on a beach from left to right, followed by the same guy riding his horse on a beach from right to left. Repeat. Repeat, and keep repeating for 5 minutes.
Don't forget the obligatory Poldark Broods on the Beach scene.

Old 09-30-2019, 01:56 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Well, I swore I wouldn't miss it but I had just come home from a big dinner. Turned on the tv and sure enough, it was just about ready to start. But I was so completely tired that I couldn't even watch it. Poldark sure did look good though. I turned off the tv, went in and fell asleep. That episode will be repeated on PBS sometime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV