Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 08:10 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,187,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Peacock was robbed. Never knew Donny Osmond was that good. Previously I'd never have gone to one of his shows, but now I would.
I wasn't going to talk about it until tomorrow because of the time differences. I'll say what my impression of tonight was later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 09:11 PM

682 posts, read 717,693 times
So, when the winner was revealed.....my husband and I both said who is that????

We don't listen to his genre of music so we didn't have a clue about who he was.

Good show....will watch the next season

Old 02-28-2019, 06:03 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,375,811 times
I'll tell you what I think right now: a singing/performing competition became a pity competition. More and more these days on TV someone has their sad story, reality shows are particularly bad at this. Then viewers and judges are supposed to feel sorry for them because they had a rough time, forgetting that millions of people have a rough time and don't use it to manipulate others into supporting them in a competition that has nothing to do with their rough time. So in this case the best singers with the clearest voices and most talented presentations gave way to the best showing of self-pity. The panel of course "virtue signaling" their support with tears and words of support. It's "cool" to do so. Ten, twenty, even fifty years from now people will still know who Donny Osmond is. They will not know who T-Pain is. I guess that's some form of justice.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:18 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,187,808 times
Quote:
I'll tell you what I think right now: a singing/performing competition became a pity competition. More and more these days on TV someone has their sad story, reality shows are particularly bad at this. Then viewers and judges are supposed to feel sorry for them because they had a rough time, forgetting that millions of people have a rough time and don't use it to manipulate others into supporting them in a competition that has nothing to do with their rough time. So in this case the best singers with the clearest voices and most talented presentations gave way to the best showing of self-pity. The panel of course "virtue signaling" their support with tears and words of support. It's "cool" to do so. Ten, twenty, even fifty years from now people will still know who Donny Osmond is. They will not know who T-Pain is. I guess that's some form of justice.
I agree with you. I knew it was going to be Monster with his pity party once Bee came in 3rd. Wth is he? Never heard of him. Donny didn't look too happy either. I don't blame him. Imagine, Donny going back and forth to Vegas every night to do his show there too! I would have preferred Monster to be Mike Tyson, actually. I felt very let down when the mask came off. I felt I was robbed!

Old 02-28-2019, 10:15 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerd2 View Post
So, when the winner was revealed.....my husband and I both said who is that????

We don't listen to his genre of music so we didn't have a clue about who he was.

LOL That's exactly what I'd have said if he hadn't been mentioned in this thread before I watched the show. I still didn't really know anything about him other than the video posted earlier here.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:19 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,791,370 times
I was disappointed too and had no clue either who T-Pain is. I still don't! But I have to admit he had a pretty good singing voice but I still think either Gladys or Donny deserved it more. How did the judges know who the heck he was? They all acted like they knew him but I think big cue cards told them who it was so they wouldn't look stupid. But I guess that ship has sailed lol

Old 02-28-2019, 12:07 PM

5,119 posts, read 16,593,991 times
Quote:
^+1 Never heard of the winner. What a letdown. I read on MSN that the winner released a new album, coinciding with his victory. I wonder if this whole thing was just a publicity stunt.

Old 02-28-2019, 01:10 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,582,897 times
Monster was my fave. Yes i suspect some of it may have been political to make him the winner, but i was entertained by him. Also i was entertained by the Bee and thought for sure she would win, as they were giving her so much homage while singing. Peacock really moved around the whole stage!

Old 02-28-2019, 01:28 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
^+1 Never heard of the winner. What a letdown. I read on MSN that the winner released a new album, coinciding with his victory. I wonder if this whole thing was just a publicity stunt.
Well yeah, you don't go on a network singing contest dressed as a monster for some trophy. They all did it for the publicity.

Old 02-28-2019, 01:31 PM

1,013 posts, read 724,632 times
The finale was fun. Lots of filler, but most finales are like that. Donny can still sing great and Gladys Knight never sounded better. What a treat to see and listen to her. The judges seemed in awe to have her there.

I’m unfamiliar with T-Pain but he was really good. I thought Rumer Willis (Lion) would’ve gone farther.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV