Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 06:20 PM

31,887 posts, read 26,916,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocSciProf View Post
Uh, no. The line up was:

Sanford and Son 1972-1977
Chico and the Man 1974-1978
then the rockford files,
then police woman.

CATM followed well trod (by then) network plan of putting a new show behind a "hit" hoping it would give a decent lead in audience as people won't turn the channel. Even more so if new show is sandwiched between two hit shows as there would be less incentive to switch channels.

Sadly for television networks or whatever the introduction of VCR by 1980's created holes in that plan. Now viewers could "time shift" and only watch programs they wanted when they wanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 06:28 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,750,398 times
I do find it amusing that Prinze, the quintessential Hispanic/Mexican of the day, was born Frederick Karl Pruetzel...

Old 11-24-2018, 06:47 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,812,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
A 1970s NBC sitcom starring veteran character actor Jack Albertson and young comedian Freddie Prinze.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q1j1-Rnxgs&t=627s

I do. It was immensely popular the first season--not so much after that. I preferred his standup routine. I didn't care for Jack Albertson's too-cantankerous character, though I enjoyed "Chico's" response and their sparring.

It was certainly sad how he ended his life. Della Reese once said that she thought he had too much, too soon. And his short marriage was already ending. Very sad.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I do. It was immensely popular the first season--not so much after that. I preferred his standup routine. I didn't care for Jack Albertson's too-cantankerous character, though I enjoyed "Chico's" response and their sparring.

It was certainly sad how he ended his life. Della Reese once said that she thought he had too much, too soon. And his short marriage was already ending. Very sad.

That "too much, too soon" played out in many ways including the short marriage of Freddie and Kathy Prinze.

Basically FP was on top of the world profession wise then, and it showed. Money coming in and women of all sorts throwing themselves at the guy. Sadly FP also had a drug problem, in particular Quaaludes which lead to an arrest in 1973. His wife (likely fed up and thinking about their young son) filed for divorce soon after that event. The Suicide Death of Freddie Prinze

Living with someone who has addiction issues (booze, pills or whatever) often isn't easy, but when there is a small child or children in the home things take on an urgency.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:

Bit of trivia: Jack Albertson's sister Mabel played Mrs. Stephens (Darrin's mother) on Bewitched.

If you want to see JA in something really good catch "The Subject Was Roses" film.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:29 PM

34,228 posts, read 18,558,636 times
It was a good show because it showed warmth, admiration, and caring transcend age, and ethnic differences.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:40 PM

5,573 posts, read 6,497,373 times
This thread is bringing back some painful memories, as I was a year younger (21) than FP and, although I was happily married at the time, still had a crush on him. I had never experienced any type of death at this time in my life, let alone a suicide. Like with JFK and Elvis, I can still remember where I was and how I felt upon learning of his death by suicide. And my heart went out to his baby son at that time. I couldn't understand how he could kill himself when he had a baby, for Pete's sake.

Sometimes memories are bittersweet. This is one of them for me.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:04 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,812,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
That "too much, too soon" played out in many ways including the short marriage of Freddie and Kathy Prinze.

Basically FP was on top of the world profession wise then, and it showed. Money coming in and women of all sorts throwing themselves at the guy. Sadly FP also had a drug problem, in particular Quaaludes which lead to an arrest in 1973. His wife (likely fed up and thinking about their young son) filed for divorce soon after that event. The Suicide Death of Freddie Prinze

Living with someone who has addiction issues (booze, pills or whatever) often isn't easy, but when there is a small child or children in the home things take on an urgency.

Yes, his wife filed for divorce the month before his suicide--and slapped him with a restraining order just the day before.

And the Quaaludes--interestingly, Kathy Prinze sued FP's doctor for "over-prescribing" them, and they reached a settlement. Then, despite multiple suicide threats by Prinze, and multiple calls to people, including her, saying goodbye and telling them of his impending suicide, and a suicide note, she also recovered on his life insurance policy.

I'm happy his son has a good marriage and family. He looks nothing like his dad lol--he's the image of his mom. He's tall like his dad, though, but not as tall. FP was about 6'2" and towered over a lot of people in the entertainment industry.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:06 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,799,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I do find it amusing that Prinze, the quintessential Hispanic/Mexican of the day, was born Frederick Karl Pruetzel...
His father was German, his mother was Puerto Rican.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Yes, his wife filed for divorce the month before his suicide--and slapped him with a restraining order just the day before.

And the Quaaludes--interestingly, Kathy Prinze sued FP's doctor for "over-prescribing" them, and they reached a settlement. Then, despite multiple suicide threats by Prinze, and multiple calls to people, including her, saying goodbye and telling them of his impending suicide, and a suicide note, she also recovered on his life insurance policy.

I'm happy his son has a good marriage and family. He looks nothing like his dad lol--he's the image of his mom. He's tall like his dad, though, but not as tall. FP was about 6'2" and towered over a lot of people in the entertainment industry.

IIRC the family (ex-wife and parents) sued because it was felt that while FP often played Russian roulette, he never had suicidal tendencies. They blamed the Quaaludes for "confusing" or whatever FP to the point he didn't know gun was loaded.

That pretty much was the gist of their story/case and it obviously worked. Despite the coroner's initial report of suicide the family still was able to collect on the life insurance.

Never followed up on the story, but am guessing with FP now deceased the money would end as well. FP's estate wasn't that large and was split between his mother and son. https://www.nytimes.com/1977/02/02/a...nd-exwife.html

In any event the insurance policies didn't bring in much, but ex-wife, mother and son did split the one million from a legal settlement with aforementioned doctor regarding prescriptions for Quaaludes.

All and all for a guy at the top of his career at time of death, FP didn't leave very much, likely reason why the ex-wife and mother launched those lawsuits. Again their "meal ticket" was gone and everyone would now have to learn to live on reduced rations as it were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV